Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air NZ crew exempt isolation ?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2020, 3:04 pm

Crew tend to be exempt from having to self-isolate after an international trip (Ive a letter from the government to back this up in case questioned about it). As for layovers, we've defiantly been strongly advised to not go out, that hotel shuttles if used should be crew only. Crew Planning have made multiple hotel changes to keep us in hotels that at least have limited food options on site (room service, grab and go, things of that nature) At smaller destinations most airlines have teamed up, and are laying everyone over at the same hotel, giving the hotel greater reason to keep food offerings going.

Domestically most crew are bringing their own food, you'd be surprised how many of us have been doing this for ages. I can easily pack food for a 3 day trip and with effort can manage for 4 day trip if need be.

I will admit, it's an odd time to be crew, ghostly airports that are pretty much just employees, hotels that are now kinda crew only, with all of us on one floor. Flights that 6 weeks ago would have been at 80% or higher loads have fallen to single digits. At my home base we've gone from operating 100s of flights a day, to like 7. Multiple rounds of layoffs (we had 2 rounds the same week.....) Everyone is just stunned how fast this all happened, and scared about how long its going to take to get everything going again.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by nzkarit
With the Bluff cluster it is conjecture, I haven't seen any official word on the index case or cases for that cluster.

Remember they are laying off a bunch of cabin crew, so they don't have enough crew to do that.

My understanding is with cargo particularly with China the crew is not getting off the plane (paxing the return crew (have seen tweets about them having to do their own food and drink)) else they will have to go into China quarantine. With LAX it does seem pilots at least are spending two nights before turning around. And after Vancouver issues guess the guidance is clear not to leave the hotel room, etc

Cargo ship generally they aren't getting off and only doing minimal contact for customs, quarantine. The loading and unloading is handled by longshoremen. Also the risk will be to the crew rather than the short crew as weeks at sea is good isolation.

I suspect now AirNZ crew will be doing a level of isolation at home and avoiding supermarket if they have others in household, etc.

Also have to remember health workers who are treating COVID-19 patients are allowed to go home as well.
So Nz are sticking to their original gate slots with PVG. The crew arriving at 7am..wait around until 2pm go fly back? That's along time sitting on a plane.

Also 2x daily flights to PVG atm?
Old Apr 25, 2020, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by brend
So Nz are sticking to their original gate slots with PVG. The crew arriving at 7am..wait around until 2pm go fly back? That's along time sitting on a plane.

Looking at FR24 they seem to be hanging around. to 1400ish before heading back to AKL. Yep two times daily with the lack of the other China flights need that much cargo capacity.

But with BP and Pilots rest and Cabin Crew rest. They have plenty of places to sleep and get some personal space.

One thing Cam Wallace was saying on twitter and reading between the lines. Given the PVG are 286/7/8/9 indicates AirNZ running off own bat. The 1xxx 6xxx at the moment are charters, so being underwritten by another party.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 4:48 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Originally Posted by brend

the pilots spend a night in the airport hotel. They don’t sit on a plane waiting to turn around after flying 12 hours, only to fly another 12. That would be against contract conditions, CAA regulation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.