Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Why is NZ still selling tickets for LAX-LHR?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2020, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

I found tickets for August LAX-LHR roundtrip NZ2/NZ1. If this route has been cancelled permanently why are they still selling it? Is this perhaps going to be converted to a codeshare flight (i.e. booked on NZ and operated by someone else - which is common).
Old Apr 21, 2020, 10:14 pm

Programs: NZ*E, QF-G, EK-P
I have two flights NZ 2/1 via LAX in September / October - time will tell if it is logistically possible, but I have been told informally that NZ will do a code-share and that as things currently stand there are 3 possible flights leaving / arriving within 90mins to 180mins in both directions which are possible and they wouldn't be using a B787 all the way through, but it all depends on the next few months and what travel restrictions are etc.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 11:28 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bce1
I have two flights NZ 2/1 via LAX in September / October - time will tell if it is logistically possible, but I have been told informally that NZ will do a code-share and that as things currently stand there are 3 possible flights leaving / arriving within 90mins to 180mins in both directions which are possible and they wouldn't be using a B787 all the way through, but it all depends on the next few months and what travel restrictions are etc.
are the flights "confirmed upgraded" ?
If so what happens to the "expired RU" and "airpoints standby upgrade" using a non Airnz plane ?
Old Apr 22, 2020, 2:22 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
So they can get your cash, and then offer you a nice voucher when they eventually cancel.
codyc1515 and kiwicyclo like this.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 2:53 am

Programs: NZ*E, QF-G, EK-P
Both are in J and made a conscious decision to move the dates. So fully refundable if I wanted and was offered when I changed the dates. No RU's used. Do have a flight to Fiji in August with cleared upgrades economy to J - will be interested to see what happens there. Have already changed flight 777 to 787 and one of the flight numbers - so someone has clearly thought about the plan!
Old Apr 23, 2020, 1:54 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
What made your think the route had been cancelled permanently? It hasn't - it's due to resume on 1st July using NZ based crew.

BUT

When the last flight flew last month it was expected that this would possibly be the last flight ever because whether we'd even be flying again globally by then was a complete unknown. Airlines can't just go cancelling their schedules for an indefinite period of time.
samyoull likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 2:38 pm

Programs: NZ*G, back of the bus UA, corner of the MLL AC.
Originally Posted by sbiddle
What made your think the route had been cancelled permanently? It hasn't - it's due to resume on 1st July using NZ based crew.

BUT

When the last flight flew last month it was expected that this would possibly be the last flight ever because whether we'd even be flying again globally by then was a complete unknown. Airlines can't just go cancelling their schedules for an indefinite period of time.
I didn't realize this – have a source? I know they closed the LHR crew base so thought that was the end.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by sbiddle
It was to be cancelled in October 2020. Business Traveller link as reference.:
After almost 40 years of service Air New Zealand (ANZ) has announced its London route will end in October 2020.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 3:03 pm

I'm aware the route has been cancelled from October - my comment is in relation to the belief that the route has already ended after the announcements that indicated this on the last flight, and comments in the post above.

At this point NZ1/NZ2 from LAX-LHR have not been cancelled from the 1st July when it was due to resume, but I think we all realistically have to accept that is this point it looks highly unlikely that there is is much chance of that service resuming unless we see a miracle.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 3:05 pm

I can actually add something to this - just got a PR email from Air NZ this very minute confirming London and Buenos Aires will not resume after the end of June, and that New York has been suspended until late 2021 at the earliest.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 3:30 pm

Programs: NZ*G, back of the bus UA, corner of the MLL AC.
Won't return at all.

Old Apr 23, 2020, 3:34 pm

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
I believe today the decision day for staff too (777)
Old Apr 23, 2020, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

I just wish NZ would have more info about this... if they are planning to run the service on a codeshare or outright cancel. They should know this much at least.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by k374
I just wish NZ would have more info about this... if they are planning to run the service on a codeshare or outright cancel. They should know this much at least.
You do realise this isn't the only issue they're working on right now? They've announced at 9am this morning the flights are being cancelled so yes those flights clearly are going to be a codeshare of one sort or another.

​​​​​​If you think you know what flights will be flying on partner airlines past July you should offer your services to Air NZ because even they don't know that right now!
Beano likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 8:47 pm

Programs: NZ Silver A3 Gold Qantas Gold Accor Platinum
I see that they are still offering fares an NZ metal AKL/LHR via LAX. Having announced cancelation of the route to day to have booking availability still up is deplorable behaviour lacking any semblence of ethics.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.