Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Air Nz offering 'Change Flexibility', but only for new bookings.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Nz offering 'Change Flexibility', but only for new bookings.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2020, 6:33 pm

Programs: Air NZ Koru, Air NZ ELT *G, IHG Spire Ambassador, Emirates, Flying Blue, QANTAS Club
Originally Posted by NZ_Flyer
The issue I foresee is that Air NZ will have to be very strict on who they give refunds to vs travel credit. They have basically no incoming cash at the moment, so the more cash they refund...I don’t think any of us here need to be told that it’s cash flow that’ll cause the problem
Surely if Air NZ cancel or significantly change a flight by their choice it should be a absolute refund of all $, this due to them not providing a product or service? vs the "Traveler" choosing not to fly or wanting to change flights / destinations etc? which might only provide for a travel credit to be held.

I have an AKL - SYD - AKL 101/112 over and back in a day 28/4 which Air NZ are likely to cancel, as it shows only about 20% booked, either direction - Booked on line. A family member is traveling BNA - IAH - AKL - IAH - BNA on Air NZ Ticket stock, UA/NZ metal on the 5th May - back on the 23rd May - Booked through travel agent. Picking this will be cancelled? I also have a AKL - IAH - ATL - ORD - AKL from 23rd May to 29th May on Air NZ / UA with NZ Ticketing,- booked through travel agent, which I am now suspecting Air NZ will cancel.

I'm not going to rush in and make changes from my end!

Thoughts ?
Old Mar 15, 2020, 6:52 pm

Cash flow is important. But I will want a refund.

If they were more flexible with the credit may be. But use within a year of original booking date and that can't split credit across multiple trips, is a really strong reason to push for a refund.

I'm just waiting for the cancellations to come through for some trips so can do the refund.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 7:04 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Because I plan to take more trips in the future with Air NZ I plan to take it as credit if I can. It is a little way that I can help a very important business to this country soldier on.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Krisflyer, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Air NZ Airpoints, Koru, NZ*S and former *G
Originally Posted by nzkarit
Cash flow is important. But I will want a refund.

If they were more flexible with the credit may be. But use within a year of original booking date and that can't split credit across multiple trips, is a really strong reason to push for a refund.

I'm just waiting for the cancellations to come through for some trips so can do the refund.
DITTO EXACTLY THAT : I have 2 Europe flights PE and J that are cancelled based on this mornings announcement - I had noted the 12 months from original booking condition which was limiting but something I could work around however had not realised the credit can't be split? (and was prepared to take a credit as expected there would be a prospect of using that up over a range of domestic, TT and Pac Is flights when the world gets back to some sort of normality).

If that flexibility to split the credit is not there then I will be pushing for cash refund. I don't like the idea of walking away from 5 figures of paid for tickets (aside - although Southern Cross Travel Insurance don't seem to have any qualms about doing that - while they would cover me if I was able to travel and got sick - go figure).
Old Mar 16, 2020, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by Erasmus III
I was supposed to be flying in J from WLG-AKL-SIN-FRA-CDG in May, all on an NZ ticket. SQ cancelled my SIN-FRA flight yesterday. I’ve yet to hear anything from NZ, but would this be grounds to ask for a full refund if I refuse any alternate routing or timings?

On my way back to NZ, I’m flying HKG-AKL-WLG, but on a separate ticket to my outbound flight. I booked this in PE and got a successful RU to J. Can I ask NZ to refund this too, on the basis that I’m not going to be in HKG because the rest of my itinerary is dependent on getting to Europe in the first place?
I spoke to an awesome CSR very early this morning who was able to fully refund me for both my tickets. I couldn't be any happier.
I also got my RUs back, although not sure how I'm going to be able to use them before they expire in June.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 5:16 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand
Originally Posted by Hector99
QF offering TT refunds now. via. a very easy to fill in online application. Confirmation and refund come through to cc within one hour.

No need to call.

Have a CHC-BNE overnight trip this weekend on NZ. Absolutely no flexibility in getting a refund or credit. No help from Travel Insurance either. Ah well, that's $600 I wont see again I suppose. Shame when VA, JQ and QF are offering TT flexibility.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 5:31 pm

While they may not refund fare portion they cannot retain the various airport fees etc, as they do not pay them out if you do not fly.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 5:47 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G), IHG Spire Elite, Accor ALL Gold
Originally Posted by HighFlyingKiwi
Have a CHC-BNE overnight trip this weekend on NZ. Absolutely no flexibility in getting a refund or credit. No help from Travel Insurance either. Ah well, that's $600 I wont see again I suppose. Shame when VA, JQ and QF are offering TT flexibility.
I'd recommend calling them again 48 hours before the flight. I called this morning for a booking I had to Sydney on Thursday morning and they authorised a refund with no problems. Apparently the policy has changed from only refunding long haul to refunding TT/short haul as well.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 6:04 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand
Originally Posted by BZNZ
I'd recommend calling them again 48 hours before the flight. I called this morning for a booking I had to Sydney on Thursday morning and they authorised a refund with no problems. Apparently the policy has changed from only refunding long haul to refunding TT/short haul as well.

Awesome, thanks for that. I'll do just that
Old Mar 16, 2020, 6:35 pm

Programs: NZ*E
Originally Posted by Erasmus III
I spoke to an awesome CSR very early this morning who was able to fully refund me for both my tickets. I couldn't be any happier.
I also got my RUs back, although not sure how I'm going to be able to use them before they expire in June.
I really envy you had a good CSR - most of them are not good - and I have also lost my RUs - I know I should not rant since it is difficult times for everyone
Old Mar 16, 2020, 7:23 pm

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
Originally Posted by BZNZ
Latest update on their website for TT: "If your travel is to Australia and we can get you there on the same day, but you'd still like to change, we can make one change free of charge. Otherwise, normal refund rules apply."

I read that as no refunds for TT unless they can't get you there on the same day. Be interesting to see how strict they are/how much variance there is for refunds given.

https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/faqs-on-covid-19
Old Mar 16, 2020, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by NZ_Flyer
Latest update on their website for TT: "If your travel is to Australia and we can get you there on the same day, but you'd still like to change, we can make one change free of charge. Otherwise, normal refund rules apply."

I read that as no refunds for TT unless they can't get you there on the same day. Be interesting to see how strict they are/how much variance there is for refunds given.

https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/faqs-on-covid-19
And rest of international is ±1 day no refund.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: Krisflyer, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Air NZ Airpoints, Koru, NZ*S and former *G
Originally Posted by nzkarit
And rest of international is ±1 day no refund.
that is under the ‘I don’t want to travel now’ question, not clear however if you do still want to travel but they have cancelled the service, what rules they will apply then. I would hope refund then becomes an available option?
Old Mar 17, 2020, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Just noticed the following that might cover cancelled services (eg our UK flights next month), no refund option, but added flexibility and less cost than previous. Hopefully the refund will come into play as they start making contact with those of us booked on cancelled services. The no fare difference could be an incentive though to rebook, given we have sale premium fares at levels that may be hard to secure again...... then again who knows what deals airlines might come out with to incentivise bums on seats when routes recommence.

We will probably still want to travel but prefer money in my bank now and rebook and repay when more confident the world is starting to show signs of returning to normal.

What if I want to travel but postpone to a later date?
If your international travel is covered by global government-imposed restrictions, for the period up to and including 31 March 2020, you can change your booking and we'll waive change fees, service fees, and fare difference.

If your international travel after 31 March 2020 and is to Australia or the Pacific Islands, normal fare rules apply.

If your travel is within New Zealand, normal fare rules apply.

For all other international travel after 31 March 2020, we can rebook you to a date in the future at no additional cost (we'll waive change fees, service fees, and fare difference).
Old Mar 17, 2020, 3:27 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ottiehund
Just noticed the following that might cover cancelled services (eg our UK flights next month), no refund option, but added flexibility and less cost than previous. Hopefully the refund will come into play as they start making contact with those of us booked on cancelled services. The no fare difference could be an incentive though to rebook, given we have sale premium fares at levels that may be hard to secure again...... then again who knows what deals airlines might come out with to incentivise bums on seats when routes recommence.

We will probably still want to travel but prefer money in my bank now and rebook and repay when more confident the world is starting to show signs of returning to normal.

What if I want to travel but postpone to a later date?
If your international travel is covered by global government-imposed restrictions, for the period up to and including 31 March 2020, you can change your booking and we'll waive change fees, service fees, and fare difference.

If your international travel after 31 March 2020 and is to Australia or the Pacific Islands, normal fare rules apply.

If your travel is within New Zealand, normal fare rules apply.

For all other international travel after 31 March 2020, we can rebook you to a date in the future at no additional cost (we'll waive change fees, service fees, and fare difference).
For all other international travel after 31 March 2020, we can rebook you to a date in the future at no additional cost (we'll waive change fees, service fees, and fare difference

Can that be done online or only through the call center ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.