Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wider impact of Covid-19 on Air NZ

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2020, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by Beano
What I mean is the falling passengers numbers may tempt the authorities to increase the rate per passenger (as the cost are pretty fixed)
They should decrease the charge per passenger to encourage more people to travel
Most of the taxes are set in legislation, so not easy to change change.

Airports may change their per flight fees. HKG did this with the protests
Old Feb 28, 2020, 10:21 pm

EK numbers to/from AKL appear to be high as ever

Old Feb 29, 2020, 8:59 pm

Programs: NZ*E, QR Plat
Originally Posted by poopbunny
I remember reading a post here that NZ thought there were too many Elites or something, so maybe they will get their wish.
Of course that comes with a multi million dollar profit downgrade. Guess can't have it all.

QF did a Double Status promotion recently.
many airlines doing stuff to help promote travel. QF site crashed due to some many FFs
booking. Hope NZ will do the same?!! But doubt it
Old Mar 1, 2020, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by JANZFlyer
many airlines doing stuff to help promote travel. QF site crashed due to some many FFs
booking. Hope NZ will do the same?!! But doubt it
AirNZ aiming at the masses with media blitz around $9 fares. Not sure how this works for helping the bottom line. Would be better to do something targeted at Elites, like double S/C would surely be a more profitable endeavour for them (and for us!)?
Old Mar 1, 2020, 1:07 pm

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
Originally Posted by oranjemakker
AirNZ aiming at the masses with media blitz around $9 fares. Not sure how this works for helping the bottom line. Would be better to do something targeted at Elites, like double S/C would surely be a more profitable endeavour for them (and for us!)?
publicity stunt - and IT infrastructure that can't cope with the demand - so a bad publicity stunt from my perspective
Old Mar 1, 2020, 1:08 pm

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
EK fllights a few weeks ago was chocka - it is my preferred routing to Europe now.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Rebound
EK fllights a few weeks ago was chocka - it is my preferred routing to Europe now.
Well I guess if you are concerned about the coronavirus Middle east might not be the best place right now with the Iran outbreak on which there seems to be very little reliable information
Old Mar 3, 2020, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

So it seems that the second case flew back from Singapore on NZ to Auckland on 25 Feb and took some domestic flights last few days
Old Mar 3, 2020, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

I guess the related question to this news is should AirNZ cabin crew now take further precautions like wearing masks on planes, and will this make any of you think differently about even domestic travel? Personally I think i will wear a mask for domestic travel (and before you all say it doesnt work, it stops you from touching your face which is a very good thing, and if masks are commonly worn then someone who is sick but might not realise is less likely to spread it)
Old Mar 3, 2020, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by oranjemakker
I guess the related question to this news is should AirNZ cabin crew now take further precautions like wearing masks on planes, and will this make any of you think differently about even domestic travel? Personally I think i will wear a mask for domestic travel (and before you all say it doesnt work, it stops you from touching your face which is a very good thing, and if masks are commonly worn then someone who is sick but might not realise is less likely to spread it)
If you are not use to wearing a mask it will make you touch more your face more, as it is a irritate. This comes from talking to people who wear masks on a daily basis & works with infectious stuff and needs to train new staff.
findark likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 5:08 pm

Starting yesterday, flights from Auckland to Samoa have an added restriction of showing a medical clearance certificate before being given a boarding pass. The medical certificate must have been issued within 3 days before the flight.

Obviously this is a huge burden for travellers and I'm sure many people will be caught offguard by this requirement, or simply would not have been able to get a doctors appointment and have all the tests done to get a medical certificate on such short notice.

In light of this, is Air Newzealand actually enforcing this rule for their flights to Samoa and denying boarding to tons of people? Or is everyone actually able to get a medical certificate issued within the last 3 days? Or is Air Newzealand being lax about checking the medical certificate

I'd love to hear first-hand reports on the impact of this new restriction of medical certificate and its enforcement since I'm planning on travelling to Samoa soon and this whole medical requirement seems like a nightmare to get logistically (not to mention, going to a hospital risks exposure to viruses and tying up medical resources just to get a certificate seems ill-advised)

Last edited by nomiiiii; Mar 3, 2020 at 5:19 pm
Old Mar 3, 2020, 5:25 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by nzkarit
If you are not use to wearing a mask it will make you touch more your face more, as it is a irritate. This comes from talking to people who wear masks on a daily basis & works with infectious stuff and needs to train new staff.
I'll just add a huge +1 to this. I often wear a mask for work and they're the most annoying thing ever to wear for long periods of time for this very reason and I find myself touching my face a lot. If people are paranoid enough to wear a mask in an attempt not to become ill then goggles as well are essential.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 6:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbiddle
I'll just add a huge +1 to this. I often wear a mask for work and they're the most annoying thing ever to wear for long periods of time for this very reason and I find myself touching my face a lot. If people are paranoid enough to wear a mask in an attempt not to become ill then goggles as well are essential.
In any case its probably a moot point since masks are impossible to get anywhere!!!!
Old Mar 3, 2020, 7:36 pm

I was originally planning to take some domestic flights to Wellington and/or Nelson this week, but did not book them as I was afraid of air travel during this coronavirus outbreak. Looks like I may have had actual reason to be anxious, given that this 2nd confirmed case took domestic flights in NZ...
Old Mar 3, 2020, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by curioustill
I was originally planning to take some domestic flights to Wellington and/or Nelson this week, but did not book them as I was afraid of air travel during this coronavirus outbreak. Looks like I may have had actual reason to be anxious, given that this 2nd confirmed case took domestic flights in NZ...
The research shows is only the row person and two Infront and three behind (or something along those lines).
So even if on a plane with someone with Covid-19 the risk is low. ~20% of seats on a A320 would be at risk of there was a person on the plane who was infectious. Then factor in ~99% of flights don't have a contagious person. The probability is low.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.