Wider impact of Covid-19 on Air NZ

Old Feb 14, 20, 3:47 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bce1 View Post
Cancelled one trip to Hong Kong but largely due to clients fear rather than mine.

Next trip after that May to UK. No plans to change at the moment

Was told several of SQ and EK out of Christchurch have been close to empty - but just anecdote.

I think Airlines and NZ in particular will be really hurting.
Those flights you quote are far from empty - I see the loads. I can't see any loads nearing what one could call less than 80% full.
Old Feb 14, 20, 4:52 pm

Programs: NZ*E, QF-WP
Thanks. One of SQ ground staff told me that. But as I said, anecdote.
Old Feb 14, 20, 4:57 pm

Programs: NZ Gold, AS, AC, QF
We're not allowed to travel to China at all (not that you can get there easily from NZ currently anyway). I'm book to Europe via SIN in a fortnight. I think having to cancel that would be a massive over-reaction.
Old Feb 14, 20, 5:45 pm

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
Have cancelled Hong Kong for the first week of March, and Japan just cancelled for a weeks time. Company policy
Old Feb 14, 20, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by jawnbc View Post
We're not allowed to travel to China at all (not that you can get there easily from NZ currently anyway).
There are still non-stops from NZ to mainland China operating, as well as from Japan, Thailand, HK, Korea, Malaysia and elsewhere, so plenty of options with a stop too. Getting there may be inadvisable but itís far from difficult.
Old Feb 17, 20, 11:09 pm

Going to Japan in early March with Air NZ, so far there is no official ban on travel to/from Japan. Do you think that it is likely Air NZ will reduce flights to/from Japan soon? Also if I cancel my flights now should I expect to be denied a refund (we booked non-flexible tickets) or will Air NZ show some compassion and waive the refund fee?
Old Feb 17, 20, 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by curioustill View Post
Going to Japan in early March with Air NZ, so far there is no official ban on travel to/from Japan. Do you think that it is likely Air NZ will reduce flights to/from Japan soon? Also if I cancel my flights now should I expect to be denied a refund (we booked non-flexible tickets) or will Air NZ show some compassion and waive the refund fee?
Doubt anyone here has access to AirNZ's projected load factors for March.

I doubt they will show compassion. Think remember reading someone who had seperate domestic sectors from their China ticket and not getting refunds for the domestic ticket.
Old Feb 17, 20, 11:28 pm

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
Looking at future dates there is a number of sold out flights, tour groups or school trips most likely. So i doubt it.
Old Feb 18, 20, 6:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
I very much doubt it, as I mentioned i asked with regards to a Singapore cancellation if they would waive the cancellation fee (in the end was only about 15% so not too bad) as I explained it was due to company policies around travel changing. But I was very clear that I was not expecting this and totally understood that they would not (I mean why should they if there are no Govt warnings against Singapore)
Old Feb 18, 20, 7:27 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Ask if there's a possibility of placing the flight into credit. Fees associated but you can compare cancellation vs credit and choose the cheaper option. No guarantees but no harm in asking.
Old Feb 20, 20, 7:10 pm
DCF

Programs: Etihad Guest
Cancelling LAX-LHR no longer makes any sense at all.

Firstly, too many eggs are in an Asian basket which may not recover.

Secondly, the idea of passengers to Europe flying on other carriers beyond Asian gateways is in the dustbin of history too. China, Hong Kong and even Singapore are now basket case transit points.

To be honest, being able to get people to Europe via LA suddenly seems like a terrific idea.
Old Feb 20, 20, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by DCF View Post

Secondly, the idea of passengers to Europe flying on other carriers beyond Asian gateways is in the dustbin of history too. China, Hong Kong and even Singapore are now basket case transit points.
Not sure if youíve been to HKG or SIN recently - I would guess from the extreme nature of your post that you havenít - but there is still plenty of transit traffic in both. Numbers are down, sure, but theyíre still busy. I guess not everyone shares your hyperbolic view of things.
Mwenenzi and Erasmus III like this.
Old Yesterday, 4:46 am

To be honest, being able to get people to Europe via LA suddenly seems like a terrific idea.
No one is forcing anyone to fly via Asia.

On many dates a search from AKL-LHR reveals routes via YVR, LAX and SFO (with EWR an option likely to come online soon). Sure it won't be the one aircraft all the way through but none of the options via Asia are so there is no big difference.
Old Yesterday, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Or fly another airline and transit in DXB, DOH or AUH (ME3 airlines)
Even QF will get you to LHR without touching Asia (PER-LHR)

While Chinese airports as transit will now be gone for many people, SIN and to a lesser extent HKG still have many transit pax
Old Today, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
Or fly another airline and transit in DXB, DOH or AUH (ME3 airlines)
All those airports (which are in Asia, by the way) have many connections to mainland China. Avoiding SIN/HKG and not avoiding other major transit airports doesn't really make that much sense.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: