Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New frequent traveler survey

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2019, 3:35 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
I didn't start a new thread about this because I don't want to make a huge deal out of it. We all know that NZ don't typically release awards seats to partner airlines especially on long haul flights so the only way to secure a Business seat (other than paying cash) is to qualify for Elite and score those R classes in advance.

But recently NZ have been releasing tons of I class to partners as discovered by below blogger. I don't want to say that it devalues the Airpoints Elite status as I don't want these to disappear again. Perhaps as part if the Airpoints revamp, they should consider allowing Airpoints members to again be able to redeem for X, I class regardless of how rare they may be. That's only fair. Otherwise, why qualify for Elite when you can bulk buy UA miles and redeem on NZ?

https://onemileatatime.com/air-new-z...-class-awards/

Also what do you think prompted NZ to release these seats this time? IT glitch or intentional?
Old Jun 28, 2019, 4:14 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
The comments from the NZ bashers are quite hilarious!
Old Jun 28, 2019, 4:30 am

Originally Posted by sbiddle
The comments from the NZ bashers are quite hilarious!
Really? Which of my comments are not facts?

I did not bash. It was merely an observation, and a suggustion.

Last edited by Xiaotung; Jun 28, 2019 at 5:00 am
Old Jun 28, 2019, 6:23 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite
No I believe they were referring to the comments on the blog post 😉

Award seats are rare as the post said. I don't feel devalued at all.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
No I believe they were referring to the comments on the blog post 😉

Award seats are rare as the post said. I don't feel devalued at all.
That makes more sense. Sorry, I didn't read the blogger's comments.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 1:34 pm

I meant the comments to Ben's post. People who don't understand NZ have chokka premium cabins and those who continue to bash the product as though it's the worst business class product on earth.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 4:17 pm

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
Well you are about to get your wish for overcrowding, Elite guesting about to be cut back.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 4:24 pm

Spose the other question is why do all these other airlines release more seats than they are contractually obligated to?

Is their product overpriced or are they offering too much capacity on some sectors and hoping to make a little back with award one way and paid return?
Old Jun 28, 2019, 4:34 pm

Programs: Air NZ Gold
What else are they cutting? I can't access the NZ Herald story this morning.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by nzkarit
Spose the other question is why do all these other airlines release more seats than they are contractually obligated to?

Is their product overpriced or are they offering too much capacity on some sectors and hoping to make a little back with award one way and paid return?
How much is a seat in a 2-2-2 business cabin with no direct aisle access and in some cases a terrible bed that's still not fully lie flat with a number of airlines.

​​​​​I just see the irony in some of those trashing the "poor" NZ product and then on the other hand complaining they don't offer reward seats.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by stick1
What else are they cutting? I can't access the NZ Herald story this morning.
The article on NZ Herald repeats previously reported increase in spend required to earn lounge vouchers from credit cards.
I have also heard rumours that the Elite benefit of bringing in 5 guests is being reduced.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 5:49 pm

Programs: Air NZ Gold
Are the credit card vouchers really a biggie? I wonder if they'll hit the credit card status point earn rate? I guess we'll see next week...
Old Jun 28, 2019, 5:55 pm

Programs: NZ*E, QF-G, EK-P
I can imagine it’s an unpopular view - but take SPs for gold to 11-1200 and elite to 18-2000 - problem mostly fixed.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 8:42 pm

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AS, AC, QF
One reason is marketing. I wouldn't have considered paying for J to Europe connecting to Austrian...but having flown their J class on reward travel I would absolutely do so. And have recommended them to others who've asked.

Originally Posted by nzkarit

Old Jun 28, 2019, 9:10 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Originally Posted by bce1
I can imagine it’s an unpopular view - but take SPs for gold to 11-1200 and elite to 18-2000 - problem mostly fixed.
We don't have too many golds or elites, we have too many lounge passes and koru members.

And again this is only for Auckland during peak hours. Every other lounge is fine. So actually, we don't have too many golds, elites, koru members or lounge pass holders. We have too small a lounge, and fixing that fixes everything. All other status benefits work great except for accessing Auckland lounges during peak hours.
Outbound24 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.