Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Why is transiting onto 3rd destination cheaper than flying direct?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2019, 9:40 pm
Original Poster

I was just looking AKL to HKG in business class return. $5500
Yet, AKL to HKG, to CAN in business class return, same dates, etc, only $3000
Why the price difference? Does not make sense to me.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 9:50 pm

I'd hazard a guess its due to competition from airlines like China Eastern.... looks like THEY charge as little as AUD $2600 for AKL-CAN (via PVG), whereas I suspect AKL-HKG does NOT have such low cost competition..
Old Jan 19, 2019, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by trooper
I'd hazard a guess its due to competition from airlines like China Eastern.... looks like THEY charge as little as AUD $2600 for AKL-CAN (via PVG), whereas I suspect AKL-HKG does NOT have such low cost competition..
Yes, but it’s China Southern who fly directly into CAN that’s a more attractive option. Especiallly at this time of year flying their brand new 787-9 with the 1-2-1 layout....vastly superior to NZ.
trooper likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 11:23 pm

Programs: NZ Silver
NZ do the same from the USA...it's often cheaper to fly from the USA to Aus (via AKL) than USA-AKL.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 11:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bub001

Yes, but it’s China Southern who fly directly into CAN that’s a more attractive option. Especiallly at this time of year flying their brand new 787-9 with the 1-2-1 layout....vastly superior to NZ.
Yes the Air NZ business class seat is a joke. I rarely fly business but I am never envious of the business class seat. Rather save my money and spend it on the ground
Old Jan 20, 2019, 4:33 am

Programs: QF Gold, WY Gold
This is fairly common with carriers throughout the world, often because there is a premium for direct flights most likely due to demand. For instance LHR-AMS-JFK with KLM will often be cheaper than AMS-JFK whilst AMS-LHR-JFK with BA will be cheaper than LHR-JFK...
Old Jan 20, 2019, 12:03 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by curioustill
Does not make sense to me.
It might not make sense to you but it makes total sense to anybody who buys airfares regularly, and to those in airlines who set pricing!

Things have been this way for a long time, and will continue to be priced this way due to the simple fact airline pricing is often all about price perception and competition, not necessarily about consistency or logic.
Thai-Kiwi likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.