Transit at Shanghai Airport AIRNZ to ANA

Old Jan 17, 19, 11:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Transit at Shanghai Airport AIRNZ to ANA

Proceed directly to the Transit Desk situated on the arrival floor located at Gate 71 of Terminal 2, and contact the desk of the airline you are connecting to
Above from Airnz website

has anyone transited from AIRNZ to ANA or Air China using the above advice from AIRNZ website at shanghai airport ?

while Airnz, ANA and Air China all share the same terminal 2 is four hours sufficent or should I go for 5 + hours ? Separate tickets although both booked on Airnz website

ps Award flight pvg to nrt on business class available for 150 airpoints plus $34 taxes on ANA and Air China ...comments welcomed on choosing one or the other .

Last edited by Beano; Jan 18, 19 at 12:43 am
Old Jan 18, 19, 2:45 am

Programs: A3, AA, AF, AS, BA, SQ, UA, US, IHG, SPG
ANA is always better than Air China unless you are after a specific departure/arrival time.
There is also SHA-HND, operated by both CA and NH. However traveling between PVG and SHA takes time, which mitigates time savings of flying into HND (assuming you are going to central Tokyo, Yokohama, etc.)
Old Jan 18, 19, 2:50 am

Programs: TG*G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Beano View Post
Proceed directly to the Transit Desk situated on the arrival floor located at Gate 71 of Terminal 2, and contact the desk of the airline you are connecting to
Above from Airnz website

has anyone transited from AIRNZ to ANA or Air China using the above advice from AIRNZ website at shanghai airport ?

while Airnz, ANA and Air China all share the same terminal 2 is four hours sufficent or should I go for 5 + hours ? Separate tickets although both booked on Airnz website

ps Award flight pvg to nrt on business class available for 150 airpoints plus $34 taxes on ANA and Air China ...comments welcomed on choosing one or the other .
Are you certain that Air NZ will check bags through to NRT on 2 separate tickets? It'd be more than slightly awkward to have to collect bags and re-check-in at PVG - assuming you have bags to check. Others may have experience of using two separate tickets and doing this at a Chinese airport......but it is something I would avoid to minimise the chances of a 'problem'.

Both carriers should be fine for PVG-NRT. I have flown CA ICN-PEK a number of times in Y and they were ok (well, except for losing a bag for 12 hours). Likewise flying NH on ICN-HND in J (F seats). The benefits of CA is 'home country/port', but I'd prefer NH for soft service.

Good luck....
Old Jan 18, 19, 3:21 am

Above from Airnz website

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi View Post
Are you certain that Air NZ will check bags through to NRT on 2 separate tickets? It'd be more than slightly awkward to have to collect bags and re-check-in at PVG - assuming you have bags to check. Others may have experience of using two separate tickets and doing this at a Chinese airport......but it is something I would avoid to minimise the chances of a 'problem'.

Both carriers should be fine for PVG-NRT. I have flown CA ICN-PEK a number of times in Y and they were ok (well, except for losing a bag for 12 hours). Likewise flying NH on ICN-HND in J (F seats). The benefits of CA is 'home country/port', but I'd prefer NH for soft service.

Good luck....
NZ won't check through bags to TYO on NH or CA through PVG, even if it is on the same ticket.

It's an unfortunate idiosyncrasy of PVG. Unless you are transferring to LH, BR, SK, VS, LX and OS from/to NZ, you CANNOT use the transfer facility. NZ will also NOT through check-in you to your next flight or tag your bag through to your final destination.

To the OP - whether it is NH or CA, leave at least 3 hours as you will have to go through the normal immigration procedures (which involves you getting a temporary transit permit if you don't already hold a valid visa). Then you will have to go through the normal check-in and departure process. The departure immigration and security lines at PVG for foreigners are usually substantial.

Good luck!
Old Jan 18, 19, 4:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi View Post

Good luck....
no checkin luggage just carry on
Old Jan 18, 19, 2:31 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: up in the air
no checkin luggage just carry on
still takes a substantial time if transit facility is unavailable due to how they process same-day international transits at immigration - on same tickets I'd allow a minimum 3 hours, on separate tickets a minimum 4 hours
Old Jan 19, 19, 1:27 pm

Best to avoid Shanghai as a stopover port.
The Transit corridor and desk is quite unfriendly and awkward. Often you also need to get medically vetted and go for a long walk downstairs and get the medical temp check!
Then if a departing flight is cancelled or changed then you have to go back through customs to checkin (e.g. I had a LH departing flight cancelled and rebooked via China Air while mid flight from Auckland to PVG).
I now avoid Shanghai, and go via Singapore or HK.
Although ANZ flights seem to be cheaper via PVG - maybe for that very reason that no one likes the transit at PVG.
Old Jan 21, 19, 4:06 pm

Programs: NZ Gold, AS, AC, QF
The first time I transited in PVG (NZ/CA) I had to clear arrival immigration/customs, head back upstairs and check in again for CA's flight to FRA. The next time connecting to OS I used their transfer desk. But it still had that weird "must get a reissued OS boarding card before security" nonsense. A better experience than the first, but still annoying. Also, bring your VPN if you want to do anything online while in the lounge.
Beano and EdFly like this.

Search this Thread