FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air New Zealand | Air Points (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points-440/)
-   -   Why is transiting onto 3rd destination cheaper than flying direct? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points/1951978-why-transiting-onto-3rd-destination-cheaper-than-flying-direct.html)

curioustill Jan 19, 2019 9:40 pm

Why is transiting onto 3rd destination cheaper than flying direct?

I was just looking AKL to HKG in business class return. $5500
Yet, AKL to HKG, to CAN in business class return, same dates, etc, only $3000
Why the price difference? Does not make sense to me.

trooper Jan 19, 2019 9:50 pm

I'd hazard a guess its due to competition from airlines like China Eastern.... looks like THEY charge as little as AUD $2600 for AKL-CAN (via PVG), whereas I suspect AKL-HKG does NOT have such low cost competition..

Bub001 Jan 19, 2019 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by trooper (Post 30676797)
I'd hazard a guess its due to competition from airlines like China Eastern.... looks like THEY charge as little as AUD $2600 for AKL-CAN (via PVG), whereas I suspect AKL-HKG does NOT have such low cost competition..

Yes, but it’s China Southern who fly directly into CAN that’s a more attractive option. Especiallly at this time of year flying their brand new 787-9 with the 1-2-1 layout....vastly superior to NZ.

brenrox Jan 19, 2019 11:23 pm

NZ do the same from the USA...it's often cheaper to fly from the USA to Aus (via AKL) than USA-AKL.

curioustill Jan 19, 2019 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by Bub001 (Post 30676876)

Yes, but it’s China Southern who fly directly into CAN that’s a more attractive option. Especiallly at this time of year flying their brand new 787-9 with the 1-2-1 layout....vastly superior to NZ.

Yes the Air NZ business class seat is a joke. I rarely fly business but I am never envious of the business class seat. Rather save my money and spend it on the ground

Yachtman Jan 20, 2019 4:33 am

This is fairly common with carriers throughout the world, often because there is a premium for direct flights most likely due to demand. For instance LHR-AMS-JFK with KLM will often be cheaper than AMS-JFK whilst AMS-LHR-JFK with BA will be cheaper than LHR-JFK...

sbiddle Jan 20, 2019 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by curioustill (Post 30676775)
Does not make sense to me.

It might not make sense to you but it makes total sense to anybody who buys airfares regularly, and to those in airlines who set pricing!

Things have been this way for a long time, and will continue to be priced this way due to the simple fact airline pricing is often all about price perception and competition, not necessarily about consistency or logic.