Christmas WiFi Special

Old Mar 31, 19, 8:22 pm

Reported three days ago:

Air New Zealand Introduces Free Inflight Wifi, No Strings Attached

Reading the article and looking at the NZ Wifi info page, it appears that this is a permanent change, not a time-limited special.
Old Mar 31, 19, 8:40 pm

Are any of the 789s done with Wi-Fi? Just thinking while they are parked up thought it would make sense to put it when the planes were doing nothing else?
Old Mar 31, 19, 9:21 pm

Programs: NZ Elite *G, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
Nope.. And installs are all done in SIN so can't be done while aircraft are on the ground
Old May 4, 19, 3:59 am

Programs: NZ Koru
I got 18.2mbps down on an A321Neo over the Tasman tonight, with being able to stream Netflix etc.
Old May 4, 19, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nzkarit View Post
Are any of the 789s done with Wi-Fi? Just thinking while they are parked up thought it would make sense to put it when the planes were doing nothing else?
i just flew back from TPE on ZK-NZI and interestingly prior to takeoff there was a WiFi network showing associated with the plane identification - perhaps this is used for IFE updates or the like ?
Old May 5, 19, 8:25 pm

Free WiFi tonight. All of my non FFs have been raving about having WiFi on their flights. None of them are willing to pay for it usually and are stoked it's free.
Old May 7, 19, 8:08 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
Originally Posted by drajknox View Post

i just flew back from TPE on ZK-NZI and interestingly prior to takeoff there was a WiFi network showing associated with the plane identification - perhaps this is used for IFE updates or the like ?
It'd have to be on the ground a long time to update the content on the IFE over wifi - though maybe they do update select content such as daily radio shows, sports events, news programs, along with the software and firmware. I always thought the IFE was updated by slamming in new disks though (makes sense, that's why they seem to only change safety videos during scheduled service).
Old May 7, 19, 10:10 pm

The Wi-Fi at gates is most probably for things like Pax List, Electronic Flight Bags, Dumping Flight Maintenance Log etc