Wiki Posts
Search

Christmas WiFi Special

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2019, 8:22 pm
Suspended

Reported three days ago:

Air New Zealand Introduces Free Inflight Wifi, No Strings Attached

Reading the article and looking at the NZ Wifi info page, it appears that this is a permanent change, not a time-limited special.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 8:40 pm

Are any of the 789s done with Wi-Fi? Just thinking while they are parked up thought it would make sense to put it when the planes were doing nothing else?
Old Mar 31, 2019, 9:21 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Nope.. And installs are all done in SIN so can't be done while aircraft are on the ground
Old May 4, 2019, 3:59 am

Programs: NZ Koru
I got 18.2mbps down on an A321Neo over the Tasman tonight, with being able to stream Netflix etc.
Old May 4, 2019, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nzkarit
Are any of the 789s done with Wi-Fi? Just thinking while they are parked up thought it would make sense to put it when the planes were doing nothing else?
i just flew back from TPE on ZK-NZI and interestingly prior to takeoff there was a WiFi network showing associated with the plane identification - perhaps this is used for IFE updates or the like ?
Old May 5, 2019, 8:25 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Free WiFi tonight. All of my non FFs have been raving about having WiFi on their flights. None of them are willing to pay for it usually and are stoked it's free.
Old May 7, 2019, 8:08 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
Originally Posted by drajknox

i just flew back from TPE on ZK-NZI and interestingly prior to takeoff there was a WiFi network showing associated with the plane identification - perhaps this is used for IFE updates or the like ?
It'd have to be on the ground a long time to update the content on the IFE over wifi - though maybe they do update select content such as daily radio shows, sports events, news programs, along with the software and firmware. I always thought the IFE was updated by slamming in new disks though (makes sense, that's why they seem to only change safety videos during scheduled service).
Old May 7, 2019, 10:10 pm

The Wi-Fi at gates is most probably for things like Pax List, Electronic Flight Bags, Dumping Flight Maintenance Log etc
Old Jul 18, 2019, 7:16 pm

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
So do any of the A320 classics have wifi installed yet? And if not, are they planning to, or are they just waiting for them to be replaced by the A320/321neos?

I guess one side effect of NZ's free wifi policy is that apart from it being a marketing advantage, they don't really have any revenue incentive to be rolling out wifi quickly as they're not making money out of it...
Old Jul 18, 2019, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by mad_atta
So do any of the A320 classics have wifi installed yet? And if not, are they planning to, or are they just waiting for them to be replaced by the A320/321neos?

I guess one side effect of NZ's free wifi policy is that apart from it being a marketing advantage, they don't really have any revenue incentive to be rolling out wifi quickly as they're not making money out of it...
The A320CEO's wont be getting Wifi installed - all of the International ones should be gone by next year (there are only 9 left on the CAANZ register), with 3x move to domestic as an short-term measure until the domestic A321NEO's start arriving,
Old Jul 18, 2019, 7:48 pm

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Interesting, thanks cavemanzk. So it will still be a while before being able to rely on having wifi trans-Tasman.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 7:52 pm

Remember the 789s don't have it yet either, though they will get fitted.

With F back last week and now only E on ground. They might be able to schedule some downtime to take them to Singapore for the fit out.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by nzkarit
Remember the 789s don't have it yet either, though they will get fitted.

With F back last week and now only E on ground. They might be able to schedule some downtime to take them to Singapore for the fit out.
The first 789 has Wifi now, they are using the downtime on AKL to fit the wifi.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 9:51 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Edit... realized that was the neo

Last edited by NZbutterfly; Jul 18, 2019 at 9:57 pm
Old Jul 18, 2019, 10:57 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
NZF had it fitted in AKL in April while it sat parked up with no engines. Future 789 installs will be done in AKL, and I did hear (but can't confirm) one of the other Dreamliners ones parked up may have it as well now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.