FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air New Zealand | Air Points (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points-440/)
-   -   Christmas WiFi Special (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points/1943286-christmas-wifi-special.html)

drajknox Nov 30, 2018 7:57 pm

Christmas WiFi Special

Currently on NZ29 ex Houston - went to connect to WiFi and received a nice surprise - I got a Christmas WIFI special FREE for whole flight. On NZ28 on 28Dec I noticed a two hour gap in coverage and I note that today’s signup page states that if there are any dips in service they should be short-lived and to refresh, reload and reconnect. I cynically wonder whether there may be quality issues which may mean its easier to make it free than get complaints requiring refunds. Or perhaps it’s just a goodwill Christmas present.

NZbutterfly Nov 30, 2018 9:17 pm

My wifi was utter crap on one of my flights and I wasn't the only one having issues. After that I figured I should only take the $9/hr option. At least I wouldn't be as angry for the price paid. $40 is a lot when the coverage was awful and barely functioned.

sbiddle Nov 30, 2018 10:11 pm

I've seen so many reports of issues lately it really makes we wonder what's going on as well.

cavemanzk Nov 30, 2018 10:13 pm

Looks like they are promo it too https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/wifi

When you fly with Air New Zealand, you're never too old to be on the nice list. Which is why you'll enjoy free inflight Wi-Fi on all our Wi-Fi enabled aircraft until 28 Feb 2019.
Hope they have increased there bandwith.

Markhm Nov 30, 2018 10:52 pm

For those of you wondering...that was our Elite Christmas gift😀

drajknox Nov 30, 2018 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by Markhm (Post 30486256)
For those of you wondering...that was our Elite Christmas gift😀

You’ll no doubt be disappointed - weren’t you hoping for a DVD of the new safety video?

Markhm Nov 30, 2018 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by drajknox (Post 30486314)

You’ll no doubt be disappointed - weren’t you hoping for a DVD of the new safety video?

That’s not funny!

sbiddle Dec 1, 2018 11:49 am

It seems a very interesting decision to make. Ignoring the cost aspect, the fact is there are plenty of technical reasons why it's not necessarily a great idea. I hope for their sake it doesn't result in a similar situation as Koru with the service imploding and ending up pretty much unusable due to high uptake.

drajknox Dec 1, 2018 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle (Post 30487826)
It seems a very interesting decision to make. Ignoring the cost aspect, the fact is there are plenty of technical reasons why it's not necessarily a great idea. I hope for their sake it doesn't result in a similar situation as Koru with the service imploding and ending up pretty much unusable due to high uptake.

It was interesting on NZ29 overnight - while it worked it was quite fast and really good - however multiple resets and a prolonged period when despite WiFi connectivity no internet connection - on other occasions internet showed as connected on plane console yet no internet although as I say overall the service was good. The FSM told me that there were 64 customers connected at one point which seemed high taking into account that at that point most wouldn’t have expected it to be free. There was no inflight announcement that it would be free. The customer facing page still asks you to switch to another device using a code but since there is no payment I wouldn’t be surprised if many customers don’t create several connections using different email addresses which would potentially add significant demand to bandwidth and I suggested this morning to the FSM that one should have to at least login with an Airpoints account number - he said he would suggest this in his Flight report. I made the same point that you did Steve that it might be unusable if too much competition for bandwidth especially if some customers had multiple devices connected at once and this could significantly affect customers being willing to pay for WiFi at a later time if the customer experience was awful.

sbiddle Dec 1, 2018 2:24 pm

The 64 figure isn't exceptionally high - paying passenger numbers on 777 flights at the $40 price point saw upwards of 30-40 customers on average, some flights with then more.

There are lots of things Air NZ do that puzzle me. This tops that list at present.

smanch Dec 1, 2018 5:35 pm

UA has a nearly-automatic wifi refund service since they've had so many issues with wifi on domestic US flights in the last few years. I've used it a bunch of times when wifi didn't work at all, or worked at too slow a pace to get work done, or worked intermittently.... etc. It's a reasonable thing to do given that they charge quite a bit for short flights.

Thai-Kiwi Dec 1, 2018 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by drajknox (Post 30488070)

suggested this morning to the FSM that one should have to at least login with an Airpoints account number - he said he would suggest this in his Flight report..

I understand your point, but I suspect quite a few passengers might not have an Airpoints number, or even a frequent flyer number in a partner program.

Trumpkin Dec 1, 2018 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi (Post 30488835)
I understand your point, but I suspect quite a few passengers might not have an Airpoints number, or even a frequent flyer number in a partner program.

A cunning plan, make them sign up for Airpoints as part of the process to get wifi access.

drajknox Dec 1, 2018 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by Trumpkin (Post 30488995)
A cunning plan, make them sign up for Airpoints as part of the process to get wifi access.

Exactly the FSMs response!

cavemanzk Dec 2, 2018 1:54 am

Do all the 77W's and 77E's have Wifi fitted?