Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Experiences with Silver (or other) RU's

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2017, 10:59 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by Markhm
Mine were both confirmed yesterday (Christmas gift and usual short haul upgrade) from Works to J on ADL run. Thank you.

could I have purchased Seat fare and upgraded?
That's exactly what I've done but 2 separate bookings for +1 and myself. Mine cleared almost immediately and hid the day prior to departure. Based on our dates I figured it was going to be wide open.

Originally Posted by sbiddle
Purchasing seat only is always the best option on a S2S route. You can change the product type right up until check-in if it hasn't cleared by then if you have a bag or really want to blow $25 on a meal.
I've done this with VA on NZ but never with NZ but relying on it as have purchased seat only with APD upgrade pending. It should go through. Not excited about the possibility of ending up in a middle seat in PE but I think it's best for partners legs. Otherwise I'd hang out down the back.

I have a feeling I ran into issues trying to add at kiosk checkin when I'd forgotten I'd only booked dad on a seat only fare on return leg. Managed to reallocate bags with elite allowance rather than pay to add bag to his ticket.

Is making this change available via the app?? Or do you just ask at the check-in desk for the change to seat + bag? Or call up?
Old Oct 13, 2017, 11:44 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
You can only change the fare basis / product type via the app or website and only prior to physical check-in opening on the day for the flight.

Once check-in is open and the flight is under airport control you can't easily change this.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 1:42 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by sbiddle
You can only change the fare basis / product type via the app or website and only prior to physical check-in opening on the day for the flight.

Once check-in is open and the flight is under airport control you can't easily change this.
That's interesting. +1 flying back from MEL on NZ booked via VA last year and we were able to call VA to add a bag while at the kiosk.

So basically unless you can see on your app that the upgrade has come through then you have to make the call whether to upgrade on your app ~ 3hrs? or so prior to departure? Sort of defeats the purpose of buying the seat only fare to take the risk of the upgrade coming through.

I think I'll add a bag to at least one fare so we can get 2 check-in bags under that as a back up.

Cheers for the info.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 7:08 pm
Ambassador: Air New Zealand

Programs: NZ Elite, EK Gold, Qatar Gold, Amex Plat, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold
I'm flying AKL-MEL this week. Last night I booked "Works" - the $50 difference with "Seat" was my insurance policy if upgrade didn't happen.

Short Haul upgrade was confirmed straight away. First time I have actually used an upgrade on NZ.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 1:57 am

Programs: Airpoints, Qantas, KrisFlyer, Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by Markhm
Mine were both confirmed yesterday (Christmas gift and usual short haul upgrade) from Works to J on ADL run. Thank you.

could I have purchased Seat fare and upgraded?
Wife and I used my two Short Haul elite to upgrade PPT-AKL and were not confirmed until physical check-in. Skype call from Moorea on the morning elicited around 5 free seats were still showing free in J. Cabin was full as was PE so obviously plenty of last minute upgrades confirmed.

We'd purchased PE both ways, even knowing the SH upgrades are a two step offering as we did not want to risk Y class in a 787-9. Wife's Gold RU not confirmed from PE-J on AKL-PPT outbound but that is par for the course when you're limited to school holiday travel.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 3:42 pm

Programs: NZ*S plus various hotel programs
Originally Posted by dadig
If I recall, the default (or first) selection is PE which means you have to consciously select BP for TT and short haul when applying the upgrade
Correct and it is very easy to miss this step (guilty of this too) but it can be corrected by the call centre. They are aware that many people are making this mistake and I asked them to raise it with the website developers to make it a bit easier to make an informed decision.

AKL to ADL is a mixture of A320 / 772 / 789, with there seemingly being set days for A320 or 772 / 789 for the direct flight. At least at the moment, the days where you get a non-A320 are Sun/Wed/Fri.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.