Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Experiences with Silver (or other) RU's

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2017, 10:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Krisflyer, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Air NZ Airpoints, Koru, NZ*S and former *G
Experiences with Silver (or other) RU's

My wife made silver some time ago and lodged her RU this week on NZ125 AKL-MEL being here first int trip since gaining it and before it expires.

Her status points pretty much all came from regional domestic flights, no credit card contribution at all. Not sure if NZ consider this or not.

She was upgraded from economy to Premium Economy.

She seemed happy enough but I feel she received a raw deal as in my personal experience, and also from friends and work colleagues, on a short haul like TT such an RU would normally be expected to clear straight to business.

Is this correct?

My son and I were on the same flight and 'one-upped' to PE. I checked when we were in the lounge about her upgrade thinking she may have been 'held back' as we were on the same flight in PE but they didn't think so, and added there were 16 free seats in Business and 'well see what we can do'. I thought maybe a change for her at the gate, but no.

What are peoples experiences? Was I expecting a bit much for her or was my expectation reasonable (especially with a pretty much wide open business cabin)?
Old Oct 10, 2017, 12:16 am

Originally Posted by ottiehund
My wife made silver some time ago and lodged her RU this week on NZ125 AKL-MEL being here first int trip since gaining it and before it expires.

Her status points pretty much all came from regional domestic flights, no credit card contribution at all. Not sure if NZ consider this or not.

She was upgraded from economy to Premium Economy.

She seemed happy enough but I feel she received a raw deal as in my personal experience, and also from friends and work colleagues, on a short haul like TT such an RU would normally be expected to clear straight to business.

Is this correct?

My son and I were on the same flight and 'one-upped' to PE. I checked when we were in the lounge about her upgrade thinking she may have been 'held back' as we were on the same flight in PE but they didn't think so, and added there were 16 free seats in Business and 'well see what we can do'. I thought maybe a change for her at the gate, but no.

What are peoples experiences? Was I expecting a bit much for her or was my expectation reasonable (especially with a pretty much wide open business cabin)?
Did she specifically request Business when she lodged the RU?

I had an issue with many NZ staff not being aware of the 2 class short haul upgrade when the rules first changed to allow this but now most seem to be aware of the rules.

People can however choose whether they try for a J upgrade or PE Upgrade and as I understand it the choice is either accepted or declined but the request isn’t altered if the requested class isn’t available.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 12:23 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
When you lodge the RU your select the class and can choose BP or PE for a RU on a TT flight. What did she select?
Old Oct 10, 2017, 3:10 pm

As above, you need to select the business class upgrade, but you will also be given PE if J is full.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Krisflyer, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Air NZ Airpoints, Koru, NZ*S and former *G
Thanks, She said there was no options given to choose from and I never thought to check with her as I hadn't realised the process had changed as it is 2 years since I last used one and haven't had any since as I have lost status and back then there were no options to chose from and I have had 2 business upgrades so I hadn't thought to ask her. We did ask in the lounge however and they said they couldn't see why it wasn't J, noted that cabin was wide open, and said they would check into it.

Puzzling ... I would expect if she missed out electing an option the website would send back a error, but thinking aloud I wonder if the website may pre populate with one class higher and this she didn't pick it up?

Last edited by ottiehund; Oct 10, 2017 at 3:52 pm Reason: Adding Q,
Old Oct 10, 2017, 4:34 pm

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
If I recall, the default (or first) selection is PE which means you have to consciously select BP for TT and short haul when applying the upgrade
Old Oct 10, 2017, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

That will be what happened then I guess. Still disappointed the lounge staff didn't do anything though. In the end she was happy enough.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 8:33 am

Programs: NZ*E
Originally Posted by ottiehund
That will be what happened then I guess. Still disappointed the lounge staff didn't do anything though. In the end she was happy enough.
Possibly there may not have been anything they could do at that point, the upgrade had already posted so it may not be possible to change anything from the lounge?

I’ve definitely noticed before that it defaults to one class on TT routes, so unless you consciously choose to go for BP then you’ll get PE - not ideal, but the RU system is pretty clunky at the best of times so I guess it’s just another ‘gotcha’ to watch out for next time.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 12:54 pm

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
Not entirely true. It is true that once posted (or cleared) there is nothing ground staff can do, however back when Air NZ waived fees for applying my Elite RU upgrades over the phone, the call centre staff also made a similar mistake.

It was not until at the gate I found it was overwritten and was issued a J seat.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 6:49 pm

Programs: NZ *E, QF Gold, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, PanPacific Platinum
Mine were both confirmed yesterday (Christmas gift and usual short haul upgrade) from Works to J on ADL run. Thank you.

could I have purchased Seat fare and upgraded?
Old Oct 12, 2017, 8:24 pm
Ambassador: Air New Zealand

Programs: NZ Elite, EK Gold, Qatar Gold, Amex Plat, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Markhm
Mine were both confirmed yesterday (Christmas gift and usual short haul upgrade) from Works to J on ADL run. Thank you.

Yes.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 10:09 pm

Purchasing seat only is always the best option on a S2S route. You can change the product type right up until check-in if it hasn't cleared by then if you have a bag or really want to blow $25 on a meal.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 12:00 am

Programs: NZ Silver
Originally Posted by Markhm

NZ fly to ADL with J?
Old Oct 13, 2017, 12:20 am

Originally Posted by brenrox
NZ fly to ADL with J?
They introduced the Dreamliner earlier in the year.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 1:05 am

Programs: NZ *E, QF Gold, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, PanPacific Platinum
Originally Posted by WLG Base
Yes.
bugger!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.