Wiki Posts
Search

New Amenity Kits in BP and PE

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2023, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by taupo
From a couple of recent AC flights
All comes in a reusable zippered bag, quality eye mask

Now THAT is a classy looking amenity kit and something I would keep and use as a toiletry bag (or give away).
I recently flew J class with JAL and revived a Maison Kitsune amenity kit which I like so much.

It's great that ANZ provides local brands (Ashley and Co) in their kits, but to take it a step further and collaborate (or even outsource) the amenity kit itself with local brands would be a small, perhaps costly, thing that would really bring the business class experience in line with other full-service airlines - and not to mention would be a great showcase of NZ products to international flyers.

Let's not also forget that it is not mandatory to take the amenity kit. Return it unopened to the FA, and the kit will be used by another passenger.
djsflynn likes this.
Old May 12, 2023, 3:55 am

Apropos of the 'sustainability' aspect of amenity kits: https://www.dmarge.com/airline-amenity-kits-bad

Airlines Must Ditch Amenity Kits For A More Sustainable Future
The in-flight amenity kit has long been a staple of the air travel experience, particularly for those lucky enough to be gracing business- and first-class. Seen as one of the many perks of a pricier ticket, its time of recking is nigh. In a world where sustainability is increasingly at the forefront of everybody’s mind, can we justify the extravagance any longer?
There's also an interesting back-of-the-envelope calculation on the number of business class amenity kits handed out by just one airline (Emirates, chosen for obvious reasons) which comes in at around 8 million kits per year.

I really liked the Deadly Ponies bag handed out on the NZ2 inaugural (pic below) – it was black leather and quite large, so it definitely had that 'premium' feel and easily found post-flight use.

Airlines are sort of caught in a bind: an amenity kit has largely become an expectation, part of the business class experience. If an airline which had kits removed them they'd likely cop a hiding, especially given the current high price of airfares (even though there's no real direct relation between the cost of the kit and the currently high cost of the ticket), plus the collaborations with premium brands for bags and their contents plays into the positioning of luxury, home-grown etc etc.
Old May 20, 2023, 7:16 pm

Programs: *A NZ Gold Elite for over 20 years previously SQ PPS and UA 1K
Eye masks now on request

I felt the new kits were pretty poor. The pen didn’t work (cardboard with purple ink &#129322 and no eye shades. They are now on request apparently. It all felt pretty b grade. The connecting flight (Lufthansa) had a nice Porsche Design kit for business class.

I think not doing something better is a missed opportunity for them. This kit felt eco cheap not in a good way. If they are serious I think the help yourself basket is a good idea.

it all feels pretty cheap now the seats are tired the movies budget no new releases and the meals……. Way behind LH, LX, SQ andTG. A shame really the ratings always lag so it feels like living on past glory. The crew though is one area they often shine in ✅😄
samjnz and poopbunny like this.
Old May 20, 2023, 7:46 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Pens work fine. Did you remove the red wax tip on it? Or been so long since you've used a new pen you forget about things like this? 😂 Took me a few attempts to realise what it was (which was hard in the dark).
Old May 20, 2023, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by sbiddle
Pens work fine. Did you remove the red wax tip on it? Or been so long since you've used a new pen you forget about things like this? 😂 Took me a few attempts to realise what it was (which was hard in the dark).
Did you get 2 of the ‘new’ eco kits with the poorly designed bag as I posted upthread? I simply have no reasonable use for it - unlike other carrier’s bags.
Old May 20, 2023, 8:54 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Did you get 2 of the ‘new’ eco kits with the poorly designed bag as I posted upthread? I simply have no reasonable use for it - unlike other carrier’s bags.
Yip 2x new eco kits.
Old May 20, 2023, 10:55 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
On the flipside I wish they would just get rid of them. I know they are a small environmental dent on the scale of flying but it's an easy one at least to fix. I would like to have individual amenities on request like Singapore does. I would like the pens and the lip balm but that's it. The actual bag I would just throw out anyway since you don't exactly need 50 of them. And so I always leave it untouched, hoping they will reuse it, not sure if they will.
travellingmip likes this.
Old May 20, 2023, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The irony is that premium flyers have the worst climate and ecological footprint of all passengers given the relative cabin space each F/J/PE pax occupies on an aircraft. Who here volunteers to become the first to fly economy only and help save the planet...?

Assuming that flying from A-B was 'necessary', then if folks were actually serious about making all efforts to reduce climate impacts this would result in an all economy cabin with a minimalist approach to all aspects of service/comfort (provide just toilets and water).

"Bags not" to be the first to eschew my creature comforts, and that includes either a decent amenity kit or none at all. YMMV
mad_atta likes this.
Old May 21, 2023, 6:20 pm

New stuff in kit

https://m.youtube.com/watch?fbclid=P...ature=youtu.be
Old May 21, 2023, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"We’re sharing New Zealand’s natural treasures with the world with our new offering of Aotea skincare products. These products are inspired by the healing power of rongoā Māori (traditional healing remedies). Made from native flora on Aotea Great Barrier Island these magical products bring the essence of Aotearoa to the skies."

Magical products eh? Spare me ...

My priorities would be different:

- Consistently deliver a decent standard of food on board
- Ensure the onboard hard product is consistently serviceable
- Ensure the app glitches/bugs are resolved (especially sync issues)
- Provide a useable alternate (status) benefit should a lodged RU fail (eg a free domestic return...)
debh, poopbunny and Alertalias like this.

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; May 21, 2023 at 6:42 pm Reason: untangling auto-correct
Old May 21, 2023, 6:47 pm

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AS, AC, QF
Singapore now has kits!

Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
On the flipside I wish they would just get rid of them. I know they are a small environmental dent on the scale of flying but it's an easy one at least to fix. I would like to have individual amenities on request like Singapore does. I would like the pens and the lip balm but that's it. The actual bag I would just throw out anyway since you don't exactly need 50 of them. And so I always leave it untouched, hoping they will reuse it, not sure if they will.
Thai-Kiwi and poopbunny like this.
Old May 21, 2023, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by jawnbc
Singapore now has kits!
from what i understood it depends on the flight/crew

on a SIN to AMS flight in Feb it was already waiting on the seat.
on a SIN to AKL flight in April, I requested it from the crew.

I do like their Penhaligon bag!
Old May 21, 2023, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by raznz
from what i understood it depends on the flight/crew

on a SIN to AMS flight in Feb it was already waiting on the seat.
on a SIN to AKL flight in April, I requested it from the crew.

I do like their Penhaligon bag!
Was one an overnight vs a day flight?
Old May 21, 2023, 9:05 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
The irony is that premium flyers have the worst climate and ecological footprint of all passengers given the relative cabin space each F/J/PE pax occupies on an aircraft. Who here volunteers to become the first to fly economy only and help save the planet...?

Assuming that flying from A-B was 'necessary', then if folks were actually serious about making all efforts to reduce climate impacts this would result in an all economy cabin with a minimalist approach to all aspects of service/comfort (provide just toilets and water).

"Bags not" to be the first to eschew my creature comforts, and that includes either a decent amenity kit or none at all. YMMV
As I said, it's a small dent on the scale. Yes, we are using more of the environmental footprint than people in economy, but it's a logical fallacy to say that because we are already impacting the environment in one way that we might as well not care about this other way.
Old May 21, 2023, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by nzkarit
Was one an overnight vs a day flight?
both overnight leaving (11.55pm and 10.55pm departures respectively)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.