Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Amenity Kits in BP and PE

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2023, 2:21 am

Programs: NZ Silver
Originally Posted by Markhm
I flew Air Astana a few times a couple of weeks ago. What a contrast to the rubbish on NZ. Samsonite (blue) zip up hard cases for men, Coccinella (pink) for ladies. The grey zip up NZ kits used to be fantastic. If they made it from wool….100% renewable and recyclable. Everything doesn’t need to be paper!
I still use my woolen one as a toiletry bag...would be ~10y old and still going strong.
fleet7 likes this.
Old May 8, 2023, 2:54 am

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
Originally Posted by brenrox
I still use my woolen one as a toiletry bag...would be ~10y old and still going strong.
Came to post the same thing.- i still use mine as my go to!
Markhm likes this.
Old May 8, 2023, 3:15 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Emirates Skywards Gold, Priority Guest Rewards Platinum
I wonder if anyone high up working at Air NZ reads this forum. If not, they should.
Old May 8, 2023, 9:04 am

Programs: NZ *E
Originally Posted by sonyxperiageek
I wonder if anyone high up working at Air NZ reads this forum. If not, they should.
Years ago there was someone from loyalty who actually posted on here
Old May 8, 2023, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by drajknox
Sometimes the little things affect one’s assessment of value. When one pays higher prices than some of the competition one expects at least an impression of quality. When supplied with what is obviously inferior and cheap looking the customer who has paid more is often disproportionately more negative in their assessment. Will the environment be helped by a low level product that is not reused, will it help the company saving $10 on the margin on perhaps a $4-5k fare when the customer is then critical? Given the widespread criticism of the hard product you would think lowering standards on food and amenities would be the last thing one should be doing.
Exactly!

After flying many other airlines, I just couldn't see the point in paying more for less.

If they did the one thing well, like good food to make up for shortfalls in so many other areas, it could be the one thing to look forward to.

I look forward to business class in most other airlines, for NZ, it is indifference bordering on dread.

I am convinced they "massage" customer feedback to fit their business plan of cost cutting, anywhere. Discarding negative or constructive ones and just pat themselves on the back with that rare good one.

​​​​
kathkiwi likes this.
Old May 8, 2023, 12:56 pm

Programs: NZ*E, QR Plat
Originally Posted by brenrox
Same! I have quite a few - pink and blue. fits the kid's iPADs now. Similarly the pink ones now hold a million "treasures" of my children lol
JFK-AKL - Deadly ponies one on inaugural flight is just AMAZING!

Super disappointed, these look awful
Old May 8, 2023, 1:18 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
At the end of the day it doesn't matter what we think.. Sustainability is the new buzzword and achieving that is the goal - even if the unintended consequence is additional waste because things such as bags aren't reused.

It wouldn't surprise me to simply see more airlines move towards having stocked bathrooms in the future and pretty much scrapping them completely.
djsflynn likes this.
Old May 8, 2023, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle
At the end of the day it doesn't matter what we think.. Sustainability is the new buzzword and achieving that is the goal - even if the unintended consequence is additional waste because things such as bags aren't reused.

It wouldn't surprise me to simply see more airlines move towards having stocked bathrooms in the future and pretty much scrapping them completely.
I think it does matter what we think.

Many shareholders will be concerned whether the share price and more to the point the international operation of the airline is ‘sustainable’.

Many competitors are improving their premium offerings and NZ’s higher price points are looking increasingly unattractive.

It is harder to establish a loyalty relationship with infrequent budget travellers and losing premium customers seems like a great way to spiral to the bottom.
JayKiwi likes this.
Old May 8, 2023, 2:14 pm

Programs: NZ*E, QR Plat
sbiddle

I disagree, it is disappointing to see the word "sustainability" thrown about when the end result is the opposite. Sustainability is much more than the materials something is made of, a good example of this is some sushi outlets changing from plastic to wax coated cardboard which is extremely difficult to recycle. it makes everyone feel better but has a poor result.

as mentioned many people did not simply "bin" their other amenity kits. Also from a function point of view, the closure system seems poor.

Last edited by JANZFlyer; May 8, 2023 at 3:12 pm
Old May 8, 2023, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by JANZFlyer
disagree, it is disappointing to see the word "sustainability" thrown about when the end result is the opposite. Sustainability is much more than the materials something is made of, a good example of this is some sushi outlets changing from plastic to wax coated cardboard which is extremely difficult to recycle. it makes everyone feel better but has a poor result.

as mentioned many people did not simply "bin" their other amenity kits. Also from a function point of view, the closure system seems poor.
Having something classy and reusable which people can keep is also a great ongoing low cost advertisement for the airline both consciously and subconsciously.
Thai-Kiwi, poopbunny and Purplelab like this.
Old May 8, 2023, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by JANZFlyer
sbiddle

I disagree, it is disappointing to see the word "sustainability" thrown about when the end result is the opposite. Sustainability is much more than the materials something is made of, a good example of this is some sushi outlets changing from plastic to wax coated cardboard which is extremely difficult to recycle. it makes everyone feel better but has a poor result.

The PE makes more sense as is just cardboard while BP is glue, metal and magnets.

So yeah either go PE route for both. Or make it Reusable (reduce > reuse > recycle).

Think reducing toothbrush and paste to the bathroom makes sense. Though I don't understand reducing the eye mask but keeping the socks. I still have an all birds one going strong.
Old May 9, 2023, 11:38 am

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet, Marriott, Nexus, Global Entry
Comparison

From a couple of recent AC flights
All comes in a reusable zippered bag, quality eye mask

poopbunny, drajknox and Purplelab like this.
Old May 9, 2023, 7:37 pm

Programs: AC:E - NZ:G-E - Virgin Australia: G - Hilton:G- AF:blue
All frequent flyers have lots of masks, socks, pens, lip balm,...
Ideally, I would prefer having a basket handed out with all the products and I just pick what I need for the flight. Then leave some next to the toilets in case we need something later on.
And invest on pyjamas: It would be a waste to offer them on each sector, but having a vending machine in the Koru Lounge with 3 mannequins next to it to display them in 3 main sizes. But if they sell them, do a good quality and may be co brand with All Blacks to make them really special
Just my 2 cents. What do you guys think?
travellingmip likes this.
Old May 9, 2023, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by jdavido
All frequent flyers have lots of masks, socks, pens, lip balm,...
Ideally, I would prefer having a basket handed out with all the products and I just pick what I need for the flight. Then leave some next to the toilets in case we need something later on.
And invest on pyjamas: It would be a waste to offer them on each sector, but having a vending machine in the Koru Lounge with 3 mannequins next to it to display them in 3 main sizes. But if they sell them, do a good quality and may be co brand with All Blacks to make them really special
Just my 2 cents. What do you guys think?
Co brand would make them super expensive. Plus would alienate a lot of the potential market. Overseas people wouldn't know who the All Blacks are and a lot of people in NZ don't support them either.
poopbunny likes this.
Old May 9, 2023, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
I had no hesitation wearing my QF pyjama top in BP flying AKL-YVR recently. They are very comfortable.

The crew were non-plussed, and one even encouraged me to do so

poopbunny likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.