Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Auckland to Norfolk Island direct flights to cease next year.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Auckland to Norfolk Island direct flights to cease next year.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2017, 9:56 pm

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
Does anyone remember what the seat count was for the short lived period of the Bae146s at NZ?
Based on this example here, the seat count was 90.

I really liked those old Whisper Jets / Quadra Puffs / call them what you will - I remember how good AN's domestic service was in its heyday (and how good NZ's became thanks to the competition). It was on an AN 'blue ribbon' service (their equivalent of today's 'Koru Hour') in Y CHC-AKL as a student that I first got a taste of how enjoyable it can be to enjoy a decent meal and a glass of wine at 35,000 feet while looking down on the beautiful landscape below... I think that's when I started to get hooked! On the other hand, the only ever engine failure I've ever experienced was also on an AN BAe146, which was quite an exciting experience. Thankfully there were 3 other hairdryers to keep us aloft as we circled back to AKL...
Old Jan 5, 2017, 12:14 am

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by mad_atta
Based on this example here, the seat count was 90.

I really liked those old Whisper Jets / Quadra Puffs / call them what you will - I remember how good AN's domestic service was in its heyday (and how good NZ's became thanks to the competition). It was on an AN 'blue ribbon' service (their equivalent of today's 'Koru Hour') in Y CHC-AKL as a student that I first got a taste of how enjoyable it can be to enjoy a decent meal and a glass of wine at 35,000 feet while looking down on the beautiful landscape below... I think that's when I started to get hooked! On the other hand, the only ever engine failure I've ever experienced was also on an AN BAe146, which was quite an exciting experience. Thankfully there were 3 other hairdryers to keep us aloft as we circled back to AKL...
Recently got the chance to travel ORY-LCY one an CityJet RJ85, definitely made me have the 146s here. Although 3-3 in an RJ85/146 does make 3-4-4 on an 777 look great

I wonder if an Bae 146 would work for AKL-NLK? I think there is still an Quick Change that is being used somewhere in Aussie, if only it could be used as an Combi.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 2:19 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G), IHG Spire Elite, Accor ALL Gold
I could see the ATR 72 fitting the gap pretty well to be honest. Allows NZ to maintain frequency and loadings. Maybe it's a marketing thing that they want a consistent short haul international service...
Old Jan 6, 2017, 3:12 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by BZNZ
I could see the ATR 72 fitting the gap pretty well to be honest. Allows NZ to maintain frequency and loadings. Maybe it's a marketing thing that they want a consistent short haul international service...
They would need pretty costly upgrades of the ATR's for a start to do this including rafts and HF gear. If you do that to one plane you're going to need to do it to a few.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by BZNZ
That would also require a sub fleet of ATRs with rafts, HF, etc which would be expensive to kit out, additional weight when not doing the Norfolk run, additional CAA paper work, etc

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.