Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Auckland to Norfolk Island direct flights to cease next year.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Auckland to Norfolk Island direct flights to cease next year.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2016, 11:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*G, United.
Qantas use 717s for some of those 100 seat domestic flights. Nice plane, quiet with the engines at the rear. Not sure that would fit into any AirNZ acquisition plans....
Old Dec 19, 2016, 12:55 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by macdo
Qantas use 717s for some of those 100 seat domestic flights. Nice plane, quiet with the engines at the rear. Not sure that would fit into any AirNZ acquisition plans....
Qantas are flying some of their 717's on some fairly long routes that simply wouldn't be suitable for turboprops. They were actually looking around for additional 717's earlier in the year but they're an aircraft in hot demand these days from those operators who still have them.

Maybe Air NZ could put in a low ball offer to Virgin for their ERJ's they're dumping!
Old Dec 19, 2016, 1:07 am

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by sbiddle
Maybe Air NZ could put in a low ball offer to Virgin for their ERJ's they're dumping!
Failing that, I'm sure Bombardier has an great sale on the CS100
Old Dec 19, 2016, 12:23 pm

Also thinking what is the distance to Norfolk, in regards to plane requirements? Will those planes need to be fitted with HF and rafts? As the domestic A320s (and assume turbo props) don't have HF radios nor rafts (they just have slides that aren't good for extended raft usage) to save weight. Would planes going to Norfolk require HF and rafts? As that would make the planes heavier and more expensive to run on the domestic runs when this isn't required.

The new domestic A320s cross the Tasman in convey with a Intl A320 so they can use the Intl A320 to relay HF calls to Oceanic control for them.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 3:47 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by macdo
Those planes are AWFUL down the back. You get to stare at a wall instead of a window, zero orientation. 2nd to last row is engine. One particular QF plane looks like it's going to fall apart.

Really don't want any Aussie hand me downs
One of the things I love about NZs fleet is it's young.

I don't mind the props. Fast bag is great.

Didn't Qantas pull out of Norfolk some time ago? I think a local said something about it. Never a good sign for the remaining airline so it seems it was inevitable on this route NZ would pull out. Hope the route out of Oz lasts for the islanders sake.

Last edited by NZbutterfly; Dec 19, 2016 at 3:52 pm
Old Dec 19, 2016, 4:00 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand airpoints since 1992, currently *Silver, Koru Club
The NZ planes flying to Norfolk had life rafts on seats near the front - row 4 from memory.

Various airlines have flown there from Australia over the years, including Air Nauru. The cost of maintaining those flights just about bankrupted Norfolk Island - I think the Australian Government spent about $12m paying off the debts.

NZ is currently being subsidised by the Australian government to fly there from Sydney and Brisbane, but I understand they are being pretty well patronised.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by NZbutterfly
Didn't Qantas pull out of Norfolk some time ago? I think a local said something about it. Never a good sign for the remaining airline so it seems it was inevitable on this route NZ would pull out. Hope the route out of Oz lasts for the islanders sake.
AirNZ got the Aussie Govt contract to fly from Syd/Bne to Norfolk hence them flying and not QANTAS. Aussie still has a few regulated/subsided air routes. QANTAS can't fly from Aussie to Norfolk because of this contract.

Virgin has the flights to Xmas Island under a similar arrangement from Perth and there are other smaller runs in Queensland.

These are routes where there aren't enough people to make it commercially viable but for the public good require an air service, so the govt gives money and exclusive access to the route. In Queensland there is also bus routes under a similar arrangement.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 1:41 am

It really does show up what many perceive as an issue with Air NZ's fleet. You have 50 seats, 68 seats and then nothing all the way up to 171 seats.

There would be many routes where something around the 100 - 120 seat number would be perfect, but when you have a fleet of ATR's that are a plane built by accountants for accountantss and run on the smell of an oily rag there is no hope of that ever happening.
I also find it odd that there is 50 followed by 60 seats. Maintaining the two fleets never made sense for me.

Disappointing news all around for the residents. I, however, didn't even know this was a route till now.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 3:04 pm

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
Grab a seat airfares available today
Old Dec 30, 2016, 6:20 pm

http://www.norfolkislandairlines.com.au/

Looks like Norflok Island is trying to get back into the Passenger Business again! how many weeks will this airline last?

Starting an weekly service from May 17 running BNE-NLK-AKL-NLK-BNE operated by Nauru Airlines.

Most ironic part is 3/4 of Nauru Airlines passenger 733 are ex-NZ.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cavemanzk
Looks like Norfolk Island is trying to get back into the Passenger Business again! How many weeks will this airline last?
Someone or some tax payer/government will have to stand behind with a large cheque book and a good amount of ready cash.
Some airport fuel suppliers will not give credit to some airlines: cash only to fill the tanks
Old Dec 30, 2016, 6:57 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by cavemanzk

Most ironic part is 3/4 of Nauru Airlines passenger 733 are ex-NZ.
And you get to fly in NGJ which should really be in a museum somewhere.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 1:34 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand airpoints since 1992, currently *Silver, Koru Club
Oh dear, it was trying to operate its own airline that sent the island into virtual bankruptcy. Norfolk Air, Air Nauru and the rest.

There are still some on the island that think the clock can be turned back. I can't see the new administration subsidising this new venture, particularly the Brisbane part which NZ is operating happily.

I wonder if Ewan Wilson will try to get involved yet again.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by nzlilibet
I wonder if Ewan Wilson will try to get involved yet again.
We could see the return of the 732 to New Zealand skies
Old Dec 31, 2016, 11:03 pm

What's the big deal with the island pushing this so hard? From what I've heard historically, the island subsidising this will cost them a ton and probably not be worth the effort. I never even knew it was a destination till I saw this thread. Shows how well it was advertised. More-so, it's still available via. SYD connections from what I can see anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.