Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Economy?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2015, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
The start of supper service will be about an hour after departing LAX. The start of breakfast service will be about 90-120 minutes before arriving at AKL.

Wow...11pm for dinner...pretty late given that I suspect we're supposed to be sleeping soon. I guess there is no other good time.

Why do they fly during the night like that actually? Last time I arrived in AKL it was on HA and we came in at 9-10pm. It was 2-3am my time and I went right to bed. I thought things went very well from that morning forward.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 9:57 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by evanaggie
Why do they fly during the night like that actually? Last time I arrived in AKL it was on HA and we came in at 9-10pm. It was 2-3am my time and I went right to bed. I thought things went very well from that morning forward.
The simple answer is pretty much "just because they do"

All flights leave NZ early to mid evening and UK flights leave the UK in the afternoon. This means all flights leave LAX in the evening and arrive in NZ early morning. Long haul aircraft are then used on many services during the day to Australia before then the cycle starts again.

While HA may have a day flight to NZ, their flight from HNL leaves around midnight and arrives in the morning in HNL.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 12:00 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Originally Posted by sbiddle
The simple answer is pretty much "just because they do"

All flights leave NZ early to mid evening and UK flights leave the UK in the afternoon. This means all flights leave LAX in the evening and arrive in NZ early morning. Long haul aircraft are then used on many services during the day to Australia before then the cycle starts again.

While HA may have a day flight to NZ, their flight from HNL leaves around midnight and arrives in the morning in HNL.
In addition to convenient aircraft scheduling, the timing is fairly (but not perfectly) convenient for connections on both ends in both directions, and also conducive for completing relatively useful business-days in both directions before departure (and after arrival, at least into AKL, and to SFO - but lesser to LAX).
Old Jan 12, 2015, 1:12 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, KQ Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Gold, Choice Gold
A good many people (myself included) like to maximise the time available for work at their destination. Flying through the night and arriving in the morning for a day of work is ideal for me.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 1:36 am

Programs: DL Silver, NZ, VS, HH, IHG Gold, Marriott, Hertz 5*

Why do they fly during the night like that actually?

All of the scheduled LAX --> LHR flights are overnight. With an 8 hour time difference, an afternoon departure arrives in London the next morning. Delta have an evening departure that arrives in London the next afternoon.

On LHR --> LAX, NZ departs London at 15:30. That is after other flights on the route. You arrive in LA in the evening, but it is overnight if you are on UK time.

I'd guess they do this because it works well with the turn around for the aircraft departing LAX for Auckland. Could also be when they are able to get gate slots.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 12:26 pm

That all makes sense. I guess I'm in the minority in that I typically don't sleep well on flights. I'm either in a light sleep and wake up every 30 minutes or my mind is restless in anticipation for getting to our destination.

I definitely liked the 9-10pm arrival into Auckland... sleep for 6-7 hours, and then a fresh start. I'm guessing that when we arrive into AKL at 8/9am I'll be operating on fumes.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 4:59 pm

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AS, AC, QF
It's INSANE that NZ bundles most of its transpac flights to arrive at AKL between 0500 and 0700. Serves the airline's interests, not most people's. Granted it's mid-morning West Coast Canada/US time, but still: crowded immigration, bag delays. Stoopid.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 5:37 pm

Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF Plat
Originally Posted by jawnbc
It's INSANE that NZ bundles most of its transpac flights to arrive at AKL between 0500 and 0700. Serves the airline's interests, not most people's. Granted it's mid-morning West Coast Canada/US time, but still: crowded immigration, bag delays. Stoopid.
As a regular flyer of North America Auckland I can assure you that none of the points you have raised above are correct.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by WLGNZ
As a regular flyer of North America Auckland I can assure you that none of the points you have raised above are correct.
Is immigration pretty good at 8am on weekdays into AKL? I was through in under 20 minutes when I arrived at 10pm on a weekday.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 8:21 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
Is immigration pretty good at 8am on weekdays into AKL? I was through in under 20 minutes when I arrived at 10pm on a weekday.
I've never had a problem arriving in Auckland in the morning.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 9:46 pm

Programs: QF LTG, VASG, NZ*S, OZD, IHG SpireAMB, HHD
I am wondering if there is some confusion with arrival into the US, otherwise what is the relevance of the mid-morning US comment? Certainly crowded immgration and bag delays have occurred for me at that end.

Originally Posted by SeaProf
I've never had a problem arriving in Auckland in the morning.
Neither have I. Usually very quick.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 9:53 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
TransPacific flights

No problems coming in on those flight in fact my last flight two weeks ago all the customs positions were filled only had 4 people ahead of me waited only 3minutes
Heaps better than my normal 530pm arrival that has about 15 persons ahead of me
I think this is a great arrival time
Old Jan 13, 2015, 10:27 pm
Suspended

On the contrary, I think it makes a lot of sense. Many people are connecting domestically or TT. Those arriving in AKL as a work destination have a full day available. I don't see what the U.S. reference has to do with it?
Old Jan 13, 2015, 11:42 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Works perfectly for me. Don't lose a day on arrival whether staying in Auckland or heading somewhere else.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 11:44 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Question

Originally Posted by pbl22
I am wondering if there is some confusion with arrival into the US, otherwise what is the relevance of the mid-morning US comment? Certainly crowded immgration and bag delays have occurred for me at that end.

Neither have I. Usually very quick.
I think the reference to US time is about AKL arrivals. 0500-0700 NZ time is roughly mid-morning in the US/Canada Pacific Time Zone. So from the perspective of someone based in North America West Coast, the breakfast served ahead of the early hour arrival into NZ is actually a reasonable time for the body clock.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.