Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Economy?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2015, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by libertyuk
Although it should be clear from what others have said, the short answer is no for NZ4, yes for NZ5. Unless the fare difference or connections are prohibitive, I'd change NZ4 to NZ6 or NZ2 if you want the 777-300 product.
It is amazing to me that NZ charges the same price in most cases regardless of the 200 vs 300 PE.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 10:22 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by evanaggie
It is amazing to me that NZ charges the same price in most cases regardless of the 200 vs 300 PE.
Well they do charge the same in BP as well, despite the fact you get to fly in an extremely tired seat with terrible IFE (if it's even working).

Having said that I'd jump at the chance to fly economy on a 77E over the 77W or 77R (refit) even if I had to pay more so I didn't feel like a zoo animal.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by sbiddle
Well they do charge the same in BP as well, despite the fact you get to fly in an extremely tired seat with terrible IFE (if it's even working).

Having said that I'd jump at the chance to fly economy on a 77E over the 77W or 77R (refit) even if I had to pay more so I didn't feel like a zoo animal.
I assume 77E = -200 (original 3x3x3 seating) versus the 77W = -300 3x4x3

I think our flights on the AA 763 and HA 332 were (both about 8.5 - 9hrs) were more enjoyable because we had a foot rest. I've heard NZ gives some little round pillow to put your feet on. I hope that is better than nothing...
Old Jan 7, 2015, 12:49 pm

Programs: QF LTG, VASG, NZ*S, OZD, IHG SpireAMB, HHD
I assume 77E = -200 (original 3x3x3 seating) versus the 77W = -300 3x4x3
Correct assumption.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 10:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by mrawesomeness
Flew NZ1 AKL-LAX return on 773 in PE July last year. Worth every cent. Spent the extra to secure 23 A/B for wife and I. The amount of room at the bulk head is just massive. I genuinely felt like I had as much legroom as BP.
The bulkhead seats are that much better? I recently flew on a AA 738 in the US, and sat a the bulk head in first class. I was rather disappointed because the legroom was not nearly as good as the other 3 1st class rows. My feet hit the wall and couldn't completely stretch out, whereas the other 3 rows allow your legs to go under the seat in front of you giving you more room.
I flew on the spaceseats last year. I highly (highly) recommend it. But I would disagree on the suggestions for 23A/B. I booked 23B based on the suggestions here and I was sorely disappointed with it. Literally.

The A seat has a small footwell as if it has a seat in front you could tuck feet into, but the B seat doesn't and despite the expectation of room there really wasn't much usable space IMO because you had to keep moving for pax and crew going by. The seats behind were empty and I ended up just moving there. Much more legroom and far more enjoyable flight once people weren't tripping over my feet.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 10:31 am

Thanks for the info. My wife and I are in 25 2 middle seats I believe. We're on the the 2nd of the 2 night flights, which as i noticed via using my expert flyer acct, was typically more empty in both PE and J. I believe we'll be bidding for J, but not sure how much she'll enjoy being separated on the flight (nervous flyer).
Old Jan 9, 2015, 10:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, Turkish Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold
seatguru has some useful info as well
Old Jan 10, 2015, 8:46 am

Programs: DL Silver, NZ, VS, HH, IHG Gold, Marriott, Hertz 5*
We recently traveled LHR--LAX--LHR in Premium Economy on 777-300s ZK-OKR and ZK-OKS.

Along with what others have posted, there are many little differences too.

There is a small pop-out reading light above the hand controller. I use it with my Kindle when the cabin is darkened. There is also the standard reading lamp in the overhead, but I prefer the little one. There are also small LED lights under the seats. They put out just enough light to find something on the floor in a dark cabin.

The bottle of water is a nice touch. In economy it can be some time before the first beverage service.
The PE amenity kit has ear plugs, an eye mask, purple socks, a travel toothbrush and a very small amount of toothpaste.

There are two cabin crew for 42 seats. At busy times one more might come in from another cabin to help out. The crew have more time then they do in economy. Better service and usually they are able to spend time to chat.

Last edited by AndrewAndDebbie; Jan 10, 2015 at 11:10 am
Old Jan 10, 2015, 9:37 am

Another small difference

I always request vegetarian meals. NZ offer VLML (which may dairy and eggs) and VGML strict vegetarian in both classes.

The economy VLML meals I've had were always VGML with some items from the low fat meal. That means diet spread or maybe margarine, no cheese, no milk. Delta does the same thing in economy. Not that it matters. Delta economy meals are inedible.

Premium Economy VLML has real butter and real cheese. PE vegetarian breakfast is a full three courses with both cereal and a hot dish. Crew have told me the meals vary so you probably won't get exactly what we had.

I took photos of the VLML dinner from our LAX-->LHR segment.

Crisp salad with artichoke and some NZ olive oil. Choice of four kinds of fresh bread. I selected the olive bread. Debbie had one each of olive and garlic.

Hard to see, but there was a chunk of cheddar cheese and some crackers. The Fresh fruit was the dessert. All were very tasty.

The main wasn't as good as the rest of the meal. It wasn't bad but was bland and too salty for my taste.

Old Jan 10, 2015, 11:18 am

Is it worth it?

I think so.

We've flown Economy on the 772 and 773, skycouch on the 773, and PE on the 773. We also flew PE on the 747 back when they were still on the transatlantic route.

Of all of them, I'd say skycouch isn't worth it for us. Skycouch is often a kids zoo.
Yes we got an empty seat between us but hardly worth the extra money. Only time I think it would be worth it is for a solo traveler who can't sleep in a PE space seat.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance
Originally Posted by AndrewAndDebbie
I think so.

We've flown Economy on the 772 and 773, skycouch on the 773, and PE on the 773. We also flew PE on the 747 back when they were still on the transatlantic route.

Of all of them, I'd say skycouch isn't worth it for us. Skycouch is often a kids zoo.
Yes we got an empty seat between us but hardly worth the extra money. Only time I think it would be worth it is for a solo traveler who can't sleep in a PE space seat.
Thanks for the first-person feedback on the premium economy experience. I hope they serve some nice NZ pinot noir as well! PE really looks like the way to go for the long flight. Cheers.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 10:45 pm

The flight I'm taking is a 10pm LAX departure 8am AKL arrival. What meal would they be serving? It seems to me that my stomach would expect breakfast 7-8 hrs into a 13 hr flight. Sorry, I guess that is not PE specific.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 10:50 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
The flight I'm taking is a 10pm LAX departure 8am AKL arrival. What meal would they be serving? It seems to me that my stomach would expect breakfast 7-8 hrs into a 13 hr flight. Sorry, I guess that is not PE specific.
Dinner departing LAX, and breakfast before arriving in AKL.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 1:38 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
Dinner departing LAX, and breakfast before arriving in AKL.
The start of supper service will be about an hour after departing LAX. The start of breakfast service will be about 90-120 minutes before arriving at AKL.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 9:04 am

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
The start of supper service will be about an hour after departing LAX. The start of breakfast service will be about 90-120 minutes before arriving at AKL.
Breakfast in BP was started 2.5 hours on NZ5 21DEC, which was annoying. About 90 minutes on NZ2 08JAN; but many people slept/skipped it. I woke up about 50 minutes before landing and was able to have coffee and fruit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.