Search

Air NZ to place new Airbus jet order

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2014, 5:12 pm
Original Poster

Air NZ to place new Airbus jet order

* Order for around a dozen A320 family planes - sources

* Could be announced ahead of IATA airlines meeting

* Airbus to hold news conference Sunday (Adds background)

http://in.mobile.reuters.com/article...40531?irpc=932

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/0...0EB07Y20140531
Old May 31, 2014, 8:21 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
I wonder what they're going to use them all for?

And I wonder if we'll see a move to A319/A321 as part of that order so they have some other capacity options for routes?
Old Jun 1, 2014, 12:33 am

Programs: NZ Elite (*G), QF S (OWR), UA 0.14MM
Originally Posted by sbiddle
I wonder what they're going to use them all for?

And I wonder if we'll see a move to A319/A321 as part of that order so they have some other capacity options for routes?
- Add more domestic capacity? Or maybe they miscalculated the numbers needed once the 737-300 fleet is completely retired and needed more

- Add more Trans-Tasman & short-haul Pacific Island capacity, or open up more seasonal routes?

Just a thought. Doubtful they'll start ordering variants though, they might want to really simplify maintenance and product types and just stick with the A320.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 3:22 am

Programs: NZ Koru
They have recently been talking about how they are trying to bring the VA TT product in line with NZ. Could this mean that VA stops its TT/PI flights and NZ takes them over? Given that VA is closeing its NZ office, nothing is impoisable.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 4:41 am

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
They have recently been talking about how they are trying to bring the VA TT product in line with NZ. Could this mean that VA stops its TT/PI flights and NZ takes them over? Given that VA is closeing its NZ office, nothing is impoisable.
AS the VA excludes the PI I doubt it.
My guess these will be NEO version destined for the replacement of the original A320 used for short haul international, some are over 10 years old and NEO will not be delivering for many years from now anyway.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 5:54 am
Original Poster

I would be forever great full if they did! However I agree with Blackcloud…

Originally Posted by Blackcloud
AS the VA excludes the PI I doubt it.
My guess these will be NEO version destined for the replacement of the original A320 used for short haul international, some are over 10 years old and NEO will not be delivering for many years from now anyway.
I think NZ will be ordering new A320's to replace the current TT fleet, however this order probably won't see its first delivery any time soon! At which time the current A320 fleet will be starting to need replacement.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 11:31 am

Programs: UA Gold, VX Silver, HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, JPM Palladium
Looks like the order's been placed. 14 jets total jets including 10 A320neo...

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...0OI0KE20140601
Old Jun 1, 2014, 1:10 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Order includes 1 more A320 classic and some A321's.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbiddle
Order includes 1 more A320 classic and some A321's.
Why did they bother with 1 more 320 classic? Will they add it to the domestic network?
Old Jun 1, 2014, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by WellingtonFlyer
Why did they bother with 1 more 320 classic? Will they add it to the domestic network?
Yup - it was an top-up to the domestic fleet, and will come next year.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 6:35 pm

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Interesting that they only ordered 3x A321s. I understand there's a lot of commonality between the A320 and A321, but that seems like an oddly small number for a sub-fleet.

I had been vaguely hoping that the economics of the A321 might allow a return to a business class cabin on the Tasman... but if only 3 aircraft are on order that seems highly unlikely... unless it's to replace where the 763 is currently used on the Tasman/Pacific islands? Any other predictions on where we're likely to see the A320 deployed?
Old Jun 1, 2014, 6:43 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by mad_atta
Interesting that they only ordered 3x A321s. I understand there's a lot of commonality between the A320 and A321, but that seems like an oddly small number for a sub-fleet.

I had been vaguely hoping that the economics of the A321 might allow a return to a business class cabin on the Tasman... but if only 3 aircraft are on order that seems highly unlikely... unless it's to replace where the 763 is currently used on the Tasman/Pacific islands? Any other predictions on where we're likely to see the A320 deployed?
According to Stuff the A321 is for AKL-SYD and AKL-MEL.

I guess 3 a/c is enough to replace the widebodies on those routes in the schedule, and swap out for a 777 when the extra capacity is needed.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
I guess 3 a/c is enough to replace the widebodies on those routes in the schedule, and swap out for a 777 when the extra capacity is needed.
I'd say we're still likely to see AKL-MEL/SYD keep at least an single 772/77W/789 service, once the A321 are introduced. The wide bodies are needed to carry cargo, at the premium prices NZ charges.

example currently on an Monday, AKL-SYD
NZ101 - 763
NZ703 - A320
NZ119 - 763
NZ105 - 763
NZ709 - A320

3x A321 wouldn't be able to cover the 3x 763 sectors
Old Jun 1, 2014, 6:58 pm

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Interestingly, the Australian Business Traveller article says that the exact mix of A321s hasn't been agreed, but will be "at least 3", and that it could well allow for a small business class cabin.

Air New Zealand orders up Airbus A320neo, A321neo jets
Air New Zealand says the mix of its new 'neo' fleet has yet to be finalised but will include a minimum of three A321neo aircraft.
The first A321neo is due in late 2017 with the remainder delivered through to 2019.
The jets will replace Air New Zealands current fleet of 13 A320s which mainly ply its Australia-New Zealand routes, where Qantas has opted for a fleet of Boeing 737-800s.
According to Airbus the A320neo can typically seat between 164 and 180 passengers in a single economy-class configuration, with around 150 passengers if a premium cabin is added.
The stretched A321neo can pack in 199 to 236 passengers in an all-economy layout.
Air New Zealand currently offers only economy class on its trans-Tasman flights, with 168 economy seats on its A320s, and says its A321neo aircraft will have an additional 38 more seats over its A320s, some of which may be used to add a small business class cabin.
They had a separate story on the fact that AirNZ was considering reintroducing narrowbody business class on the Tasman. The more things change the more they stay the same!

The article points out that this would be a domestic/recliner style business class rather than full international style flat bed seats. Perhaps my theory of it being used to replace the current 763 trans-Tasman flying makes sense. It would certainly be quite an efficient aircraft, and it would make more sense than deploying your expensive new 787s with their space-hungry flat beds on short-haul routes...

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 7:02 pm

I'd say we're still likely to see AKL-MEL/SYD keep at least an single 772/77W/789 service, once the A321 are introduced. The wide bodies are needed to carry cargo, at the premium prices NZ charges.

example currently on an Monday, AKL-SYD
NZ101 - 763
NZ703 - A320
NZ119 - 763
NZ105 - 763
NZ709 - A320

3x A321 wouldn't be able to cover the 3x 763 sectors
Maybe we'll see a mix of 787 and A321 service on AKL-SYD - perhaps with 787 service timed for early/late peaks or to coincide with the longhaul flights to/from AKL, then 321s for the rest? Assuming NZ adds J to the A321s, that would at least allow business class on all flights, which would probably make sense on the region's busiest international route for business travel. It would also allow for some capacity growth.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.