Search

Space plus seats open for non-NZ *G?

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2014, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: VA Silver, NZ Gold
Update

So I called again...

Got an agent that was very knowledgeable and acknowledged that entering my *G number should open up space+ seats, but for some reason the system at their end wasn't opening them up. In fact it was still wanting to charge for selecting any seat from row 13 back... Maybe the system needed a bit of time to refresh as others were having trouble selecting seats...
Old May 25, 2014, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Maybe a related irritation. Have two lads at Otago Uni booked on an SQ fare DUD-ICN return for Nov-Jan.

When first showing on respective MyBookings the NZ sectors allowed seat select (as Jade, just down the back of the bus). However, following an SQ re-numbering of the codeshare flights DUD-AKL and CHC-DUD (same flights still), this option has now vanished.

I suspect that the codeshare re-numbering has somehow messed up the the NZ fare class etc so that seats are not now selectable.

Not a drama, just a minor irritation.

OT. Noting that the DUD-AKL-SIN-ICN-SIN-CHC-DUD is approx 17,043 miles it would require only a further 1,957 miles to gain *G on A3. I'm looking at options for a ICN-???-ICN on a *A carrier that'd get the lads *G.
Old May 26, 2014, 12:36 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
OT. Noting that the DUD-AKL-SIN-ICN-SIN-CHC-DUD is approx 17,043 miles it would require only a further 1,957 miles to gain *G on A3. I'm looking at options for a ICN-???-ICN on a *A carrier that'd get the lads *G.
Watch out for non-mileage earning (eg if SQ booking code maps to L on NZ earning is 0 for domestic legs).

HKG return is probably the easiest reasonably cheap option. Can easily be done in a day (or overnight red eye for return leg). Don't forget non-obvious options such as Ethiopian to HKG or business class to Tokyo (on OZ, NH or UA).
Old May 26, 2014, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Cheers, all good thoughts KF!!
Old May 28, 2014, 5:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: VA Silver, NZ Gold
An update on my OP.

So somewhere at about 48hrs from departure I log back in and noticed the system decided to allocate me an exit row seat at no cost. Interestingly enough no space+ seats have opened up and if I wanted to change my seat I'll get charged the going rate.

Bizarre, but can't complain...
Old May 28, 2014, 7:18 pm

Programs: NZ GOLD (*G), KLM FB S, QF S,
Originally Posted by johnnyfive
So I called again...

Got an agent that was very knowledgeable and acknowledged that entering my *G number should open up space+ seats, but for some reason the system at their end wasn't opening them up. In fact it was still wanting to charge for selecting any seat from row 13 back... Maybe the system needed a bit of time to refresh as others were having trouble selecting seats...
I had similar problem with a return flight Akld-HKG a few weeks ago. Was in Y was wanting to change to exit row seats once the 48hr period came up. There were 2 avaliable and I waited up till the 11pm time 48hrs out- but it still did not release as they should have at no charge.

Ended up calling the call centre who couldnt do anything at that time of night and had to pass on this to another department. Happend on both legs - had to call from China to make sure I got the exit seats on the return flight.
Old May 29, 2014, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Holy smokes. Was trying to replicate non-NZ*G access to the better seats and couldn't get access. When I enter my UA acct letters as lower-case the NZ system doesn't recognise the acct (or offer the better seats). Use UPPERCASE letters and it does. Surprising that the entry of a freq flyer acct requires uppercase on the NZ system. Good to know for the future.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.