Wiki Posts
Search

FlightRadar24

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2014, 9:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
FlightRadar24

It's a bit anorak-y (in fact very anorak-y), but I notice that Flight Radar is now showing the Eagle, Nelson and older ATR operations. Not sure it is comprehensive and it seems to struggle on O/D information, but a useful addition.
Old May 20, 2014, 10:04 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by CHCflyer
It's a bit anorak-y (in fact very anorak-y), but I notice that Flight Radar is now showing the Eagle, Nelson and older ATR operations. Not sure it is comprehensive and it seems to struggle on O/D information, but a useful addition.
These aircraft do not have ADS-B equipment fitted.

Flightradar24 is now using MLAT in areas where there are multiple receivers providing coverage. MLAT is estimating the location based on regular transponder data, so none of the extra data is available. Any such flights will show up as MLAT in the source.
Old May 20, 2014, 10:04 pm

Programs: QF LTG, VASG, NZ*S, OZD, IHG SpireAMB, HHD
Yes, it is. Hadn't noticed that before, thanks.
Old May 20, 2014, 10:13 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Which reminds me, they were giving away Radarscape receivers for free to improve coverage. I must get back in touch with them, I have the perfect spot on a high hill over Wgtn to improve coverage significantly.

I think you actually need a Radarscape for MLAT, so there are clearly people with these here now.
Old May 21, 2014, 5:41 am

The MLAT coverage of aircraft with Mode S transponders has been turned on in NZ for a month. In the last week a second Palmerston North FlightRadar24 receiver has come online and the first came back online. Yesterday I turned on the third Wellington FR24 receiver. This is why MLAT has gone from Taranaki to Hamilton for 737's to a much wider area around the lower north and some upper south.

Other people have other receivers (including me, I have a USB receiver attached to a raspberry pi) but only the FlightRadar24 ones which they send out feed MLAT to them. The Radarcapes which the FlightRadar24 receivers are based on also feed MLAT to them but they cost 700 Euro.

All international flights, domestic A320, a couple of Air NZ 733, and the four ATR 72-600 (MVA-MVD) have ADSB. As well as a few other commercial and some private aircraft. The rest of Air NZ's fleet have Mode S transponders which Multialteration
(MLAT) uses to triangulate with a minimum of four receivers. Since Air NZ isn't transmitting flight numbers on the Mode S aircraft FlightRadar can't link it up with flight numbers and routes, so that is why not as much info is available. Also due to the triangulation, sometimes you see some errors where they take right angle turns for a while.

The use of ADS-B and MLAT is part of the process of allowing the Queenstown night flights in the future. I think it's already active in Queenstown and Dunedin south.

As more receivers are delivered to NZ and turned on the MLAT coverage will get better.

Hopefully this wasn't a crazy long unintelligible first post. My mum who reads the forum spotted it and mentioned it.
Old May 21, 2014, 2:36 pm

Programs: QF LTG, VASG, NZ*S, OZD, IHG SpireAMB, HHD
Thanks - a very interesting first post! Welcome to FT.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.