Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Transfering from UA to NZ in Sydney - Transit Desk?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2013, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL-Silver; BA-Bronze

My in-laws are flying this weekend LAX-SYD on UA and then connecting onward to AKL on NZ. I seem to remember when I flew this route before, I had to go to a transfer desk in SYD to get a new NZ boarding pass.

Question is whether they will need to go to the transfer desk or can they get their NZ boarding passes in LAX or even at the Koru Club in SYD?

Thanks!
Old Feb 22, 2013, 6:10 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
In my experience this needs to be done at the SYD transfer desk if the boarding pass isn't issued at the airport of origin.

Some time ago NZ removed the boarding pass printers from SYD/MEL lounges, they may or may not be back -- I don't know -- but this meant getting the BP from the transfer desk.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 9:47 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by ajnz
In my experience this needs to be done at the SYD transfer desk if the boarding pass isn't issued at the airport of origin.

Some time ago NZ removed the boarding pass printers from SYD/MEL lounges, they may or may not be back -- I don't know -- but this meant getting the BP from the transfer desk.
NZ wont allow you to travel on boarding passes issued by another airline, they are very tight on paper work. This is because they get fined for any passenger they transport into New Zealand that has incorrect travel documents / visa's.

They will need to get new ones from the transfer desk, located below the lounge or see the gate agent anhour before departure.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 11:24 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Indeed -- which I believe my post conveyed. In the past you were able to get BPs issued, or if required, reissued, at the lounges (as you still can at LAX and AKL).

Some time ago for MEL and SYD lounges the equipment was removed that allowed boarding passes to be printed, which necessitated obtaining the boarding pass at the gate or the transfer desk. This can for instance be mildly annoying if you don't yet have a boarding pass since none was issued at point of origin and you want to enter the lounge. I've had to do some fairly intense convincing on a couple of occasions.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 10:08 pm

Programs: UA-lifetime Platinum (2MM), IHG-Amb, HH-Diamond, Hertz-PC, Marriott-Gold, CX-AM
Question transit from TG flight to NZ flight at SYD

I will arrive from BKK to SYD by TG and will take the onward NZ flight to AKL. Can anyone tell me if I need to go through security scan again before heading to the NZ gate? Is the NZ transit desk before or after the security scan? I do understand that I need to have my NZ boarding pass re-printed by NZ agent even though TG might be able to print the NZ boarding pass. Thanks for any input in advance.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by GordonGordon
I will arrive from BKK to SYD by TG and will take the onward NZ flight to AKL. Can anyone tell me if I need to go through security scan again before heading to the NZ gate? Is the NZ transit desk before or after the security scan? I do understand that I need to have my NZ boarding pass re-printed by NZ agent even though TG might be able to print the NZ boarding pass. Thanks for any input in advance.
On arrival at SYD, you'll need to go through Transit Security (Liquid Ban Applies) . Directly after this there the transit desk where you can collect you boarding passes.

If you have lounge access e.g. *G you just then head two levels up fron the Transit Desks to the NZ lounge.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 4:39 am

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
NZ wont allow you to travel on boarding passes issued by another airline, they are very tight on paper work. This is because they get fined for any passenger they transport into New Zealand that has incorrect travel documents / visa's.
Interestingly, in the last 6 weeks I've flown 3 SIN-AKL sectors on NZ with SQ issued boarding passes (2x ex-LHR and 1x ex-CDG, 2xJ and 1xF). Not once have they been swapped to NZ ones.

However, from PVG/SYD/LAX/HKG/NRT I've always had other airline BP's swapped to NZ ones.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 6:53 am

Programs: QF LTG, VASG, NZ*S, OZD, IHG SpireAMB, HHD
Originally Posted by LyingFlat
Interestingly, in the last 6 weeks I've flown 3 SIN-AKL sectors on NZ with SQ issued boarding passes (...2xJ and 1xF).
Didn't realise NZ has reintroduced F!
Old Jul 31, 2015, 7:49 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by pbl22
Didn't realise NZ has reintroduced F!
HA! I wish...

Connected from SQ F.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 9:23 pm

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
Arrivals into Sydney T1 (the international terminal) are on the arrival level. You will follow the signs to International Transfer - clear security and head upstairs to the Departures level.

Here you can visit the Transfer Desk for onward flight information and any new BP you might want or NEED.

Very simple hundreds of pax do it every day .
Old Oct 15, 2016, 1:32 am

Programs: A3 Gold, AA Plat
On arrival at SYD, you'll need to go through Transit Security (Liquid Ban Applies) . Directly after this there the transit desk where you can collect you boarding passes.

If you have lounge access e.g. *G you just then head two levels up fron the Transit Desks to the NZ lounge.
Is it possible to get back to the arrival hall and immigration/customs after collecting the boarding pass from the transit desk? I'm flying in from BKK on TG and transiting to AKL on NZ. I'd rather pick up the boarding pass from the transit desk in case I want to head to town and possibly avoid paying the PMC.

Apologies for reviving an old thread, but I figured it's better than starting a new one entirely.

Last edited by arthursiew; Oct 15, 2016 at 1:55 am
Old Oct 15, 2016, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by arthursiew
Is it possible to get back to the arrival hall and immigration/customs after collecting the boarding pass from the transit desk? I'm flying in from BKK on TG and transiting to AKL on NZ. I'd rather pick up the boarding pass from the transit desk in case I want to head to town and possibly avoid paying the PMC.

Apologies for reviving an old thread, but I figured it's better than starting a new one entirely.
If you want to leave the airport, just grab your boarding passes from an NZ Kiosk in the main check-in area.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 5:21 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
I was just thinking the same thing - even if you're technically in transit, providing you meet Australian entry requirements there is nothing to stop you just clearing customs and then getting your boarding passes from either the kiosk or check-in counter.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 5:34 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, AA Plat
If you want to leave the airport, just grab your boarding passes from an NZ Kiosk in the main check-in area.
I definitely did think about that, but the reason I brought this question up is to see whether going to the transit desk makes it impossible to leave the airport if I decide to leave after going to the transit desk. I wouldn't have asked that question otherwise.

Last edited by arthursiew; Oct 15, 2016 at 5:41 pm
Old Oct 15, 2016, 7:14 pm

Programs: NZ Gold (*G)
Originally Posted by arthursiew
I definitely did think about that, but the reason I brought this question up is to see whether going to the transit desk makes it impossible to leave the airport if I decide to leave after going to the transit desk. I wouldn't have asked that question otherwise.
Don't know about Australia but I made the mistake of going to the transit desk in Shanghai. In shanghai once you get a transit boarding pass you cannot enter China. So I got 6 hours in a crappy CA lounge instead of exploring the city

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.