Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Now Pay for exit rows - "Fly Customised"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Now Pay for exit rows - "Fly Customised"

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2012, 12:56 am

Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF Plat
Interesting observation.
Just booked two S class domestics for one of my staff who is silver. First one he is relegated to the back of the plane for seat slection (733) and second one he has free choice of premium seats except exit row (320).
Old Dec 3, 2012, 12:26 pm

Programs: air NZ
Post Air NZ Reply

Originally Posted by Trumpkin
I suspect that the target audience for most of the adverts, especially the yacht one, is aimed exclusively at those flying in business or premium economy, so they are unlikely to be removed.

However there may be a better way to do this. For business and premium economy allow people to opt out or at least just show adverts once per flight.

For those in economy who have paid works / works deluxe, let them see adverts for say the first two programs they watch.

For those in economy who do not pay for IFE, show them adverts at a similar rate to those seen on TV.

Anyone GE, who by definition flies often and thus will see the adverts often, let them just see them once per flight at the most no matter where they sit.

This will benefit everyone, with premium passengers seeing some but not as many adverts all the way to the low cost people getting IFE without paying for it directly. Plus there is a perk for GE.
Hi All,
In relation to IFE advertising I note that you do have the ability to fast forward through the advertisements if you wish.

Regards Alastair
Old Dec 3, 2012, 12:33 pm

Programs: air NZ
Post Air NZ Reply

Originally Posted by NZ*Trout
That's actually an approach I prefer, and of course the route that UA take. Over the past couple of years of heavy UA flying, I can only recall a handful of times where I haven't been able to obtain a decent seat, and 90% of the time I have been able to get an exit row aisle. My flights tend to be booked at short to medium notice.

So from my perspective this works great in that I am nearly always able to get one of my preferred seats, and UA is able to make a bit of ancillary revenue seemingly without annoying it's HVC. I'm but a single datapoint, however all seems good from my perspective.

Obviously it all comes down to the pricepoint of the premium seats, the premium:standard seat ratio, HVC load, and route.

Using the UA model and starting prices conservatively high seems to me like it would have been a low risk way to test the seat select program. No change at all to HVCs, collection of additional revenue and statistics, and the ability to drop prices until a happy medium is found.

I honestly believe that if a portion of upper management were to fly like HVCs (i.e. fly a few hundred thousand miles in a year) many of AirNZ's recent mistakes would have been avoided (or at a minimum have been implemented somewhat better). If you really want to understand your customers, jump in their shoes!

(And thanks for your participation and meticulously answering all questions asked.)
Hi,
Thanks for your feedback and as part of our review of this product we will capture this idea and work through the implications for our HVC’s.

My initial view is still that you would be worse off under this scenario – as currently you get seats reserved exclusively for you which no one else can access plus free access to any left-over paid exit rows or preferred seats 48 hours out.
thanks
Old Dec 3, 2012, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, NZ*E, PC Platinum RA
Originally Posted by AlastairR
Hi,
Thanks for your feedback and as part of our review of this product we will capture this idea and work through the implications for our HVC’s.
Thanks.

My initial view is still that you would be worse off under this scenario – as currently you get seats reserved exclusively for you which no one else can access plus free access to any left-over paid exit rows or preferred seats 48 hours out.
I disagree with your initial view. Everything hinges on the price put on Seat Select seats. Simple economics.

I'm worse off under the current Seat Select regime as I can no longer choose any of my preferred seats without paying extra.

Individual premium, preferred, and exit row seats are not fungible. That is exactly why you charge more for exit row than preferred. That is exactly why a number of seats have moved from the premium to the preferred pool. And that is exactly why you (quite smartly) used historical HVC seating data to determine how to carve up the seats.

Using the exclusivity pool of only marginally better-than-standard seats to HVC as justification of the removal of all of the fantastic seats is just more of the corporate spin we've become accustomed to.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 2:49 pm

Programs: NZ GOLD (*G), KLM FB S, QF S,
Just booked to travel on the Nightrider service and could not select the space + seats but on the return leg I could.

I thought that there was no changes in the number of seats avalialble to HVC? or is this one of the T & C for the night rider?
Old Dec 3, 2012, 3:01 pm

Programs: NZ Silver
Originally Posted by brucelee
Just booked to travel on the Nightrider service and could not select the space + seats but on the return leg I could.

I thought that there was no changes in the number of seats avalialble to HVC? or is this one of the T & C for the night rider?
The late night flights skip the traditional in-flight drink and snack service, passengers travelling on these fares won't be eligible for Koru Lounge entry prior to departure and Gold Elite, Gold and Koru members won’t be able to request premium seats in advance.
I don't see what the point of this would be?
Old Dec 3, 2012, 3:04 pm

Programs: NZ GOLD (*G), KLM FB S, QF S,
Originally Posted by brenrox
Thanks for the T&C info.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 3:33 pm

Programs: BA Silver, NZ Jade, QF Bronze, A Club Platinum, Hhonors Silver
Originally Posted by brenrox
because they want to charge for them???
Old Dec 3, 2012, 3:40 pm

Programs: NZ *G
Well, in all honesty, flights cost $29! Despite my issues with NZ lately, this one is a bit too hard to argue against.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 4:08 pm

Programs: QF LTG, VASG, NZ*S, OZD, IHG SpireAMB, HHD
The late night flights skip the traditional in-flight drink and snack service, passengers travelling on these fares won't be eligible for Koru Lounge entry prior to departure and Gold Elite, Gold and Koru members won’t be able to request premium seats in advance.
This seems to have been a recent addition to the Night Rider T&Cs since the introduction of Fly Customised. There were certainly no issues selecting premium Night Rider seats a week or so ago.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 4:08 pm

Programs: NZ Silver
Originally Posted by deconz
because they want to charge for them???
Ah ok, I interpreted it as you couldn't select seats at all.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 4:33 pm

But I assume from these T&Cs that the 48-hour free-for-all-G/GEs is not available on Night Rider services?
Old Dec 3, 2012, 6:39 pm

I am not currently a member of Airpoints but I wanted to mention that I paid $10 OW HNL-AKL for preferred seating.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 8:34 pm

Just done a booking CHC to MEL in Seat to use final RU's
Dumb ... me assumed that as Gold (ends in 27 days) I could pick a reasonable seat, wrong. The seats it shows to start are the preferred seats and I like a d**8 head picked what looked like nice seats - $20 a pop. Preferred seats are normal pitch, not even the space+ seats.
Sytsem sucks Alastair, you need to be clear with a pop up that seat will cost nice just show a picture. Is a rip off like you need to deselect insurance, again another rip off.
Really p***** off. See why I went elsewhere. Just over it NZ, you charging for seats that I could have got for free a week or so ago, not space+, normal seats just over it!!

Seats are 4 E & F and then back 5 E & F, shows on seat maps as available for seat only fares, you really suck, this is typical misleading NZ arrognace 'cos you can rip us off and no-one in CC will stand up to you.
Yes a bloody big rant but, what the hell they do not listen,, they mislead and then charge for seats that are not special, not exit or space plus. hell look at the 1900, going over from HKK to CHC row 3 is no cost, coming back 3A is free 3E costs. Oh well my loss your gain

Last edited by wayoutwest; Dec 3, 2012 at 8:41 pm Reason: bits to add
Old Dec 3, 2012, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by wayoutwest
going over from HKK to CHC row 3 is no cost, coming back 3A is free 3E costs.
It's this inconsistency that is quite frustrating (assuming that your outbound is >48 hours away). Also, nonsense like charging people $10 to sit in 2A/F or 1F on a 1900D with no window.

I suspect these are just teething issues and we will get some consistent and more meaningful application of seat charging from NZ down the track (or am I dreaming?)

I still maintain that GEs should be able to sit anywhere they like on any domestic flight without charge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.