Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Now Pay for exit rows - "Fly Customised"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Now Pay for exit rows - "Fly Customised"

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2012, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, NZ*E, PC Platinum RA
Originally Posted by Shazzadude
Actually, at least on the 777-200, the methodology around exit row seating for the last few years prior to these changes was EXTREMELY consistent-53B and 53J were always available to G/GE/Koru at the time of booking, while the slightly impeded 53A and 53K were only available <48 hours prior to check-in.
Now, that consistent offering has been taken away and the entitlement for G/GE has been reduced.
Exactly. 744 exit row availability followed the same approach.

It would be nice to get some honesty, instead of fluff about "premium seating zones" that on long-haul are identical to every other economy seat on the plane, given the stripping of exit row selection.
Eve Rob Fyfe trotted out the line that entitlements had not changed.

I've given up on NZ. Everything is so complex now and the overall value proposition is at best on par with alternative airlines.

(For the benefit of AlastairR: Another airline now throws me low-cost-to-them-but-high-value-to-me loyalty bones, and in return they automatically gain my business largely without regards to price. $75 for my preferred long haul exit row may be considered by many as value for money and it hardly breaks the bank - but it tells me exactly how AirNZ value the loyalty based relationship we've had for the past 500 odd sectors together...)
Old Nov 29, 2012, 3:37 pm
DCF

Programs: Etihad Guest
Originally Posted by libertyuk
Welcome Alastair, as others have said, regardless of any concerns, you are very welcome here to engage and discuss the many matters people have, although I am sure that you are not responsible for many of the Airpoints issues people have (e.g. I agree with DCF's model which makes a lot of sense, but I am guessing this is outside your remit).
I don't think Confirmed Upgrades is/was an Airpoints issue - it should have been an ancillary revenue program.

It was the failure to position it as what it should have been (i.e. Ancillary Revenue) which saw it under-valued and scrapped. But because it is viewed as a terminated Airpoints program, nobody notices that we HVCs now buy lower fare-bucket fares now because the program which drove us to buy YBMHU fares has gone.That was the whole problem, and the reason why a popular and profitable program got axed.

Confirmed Upgrades should have become a cash-denominated program instead of Plusgrade, which could be simple, transparent and easy and cheap for the airline to administer itself.I looked up the Confirmed Upgrade rates yesterday: a Trans-Pacific PE to BP Confirmed Upgrade from U class into Z class cost $1010 Airpoints.

Air New Zealand can only dream of that now. They are currently upgrading via OneUp, and compared with the abandoned Confirmed Upgrades the OneUp program involves upgrades.......

1) from far cheaper Premium Economy fare buckets, and
2) into far more expensive Business Premier fare buckets
3) with massively reduced OneUp bids compared with the $1010 Confirmed Upgrade fixed price (seemingly averaging around $500 per accepted long-haul OneUp, but superimposed upon lower original ticket types),
4) they have to share the OneUp revenue with Plusgrade.

Lastly, of course, they piss off their elites with OneUp, whereas with Confirmed Upgrades they pleased us and had the potential to earn more money.

As I wrote, they just needed to take Confirmed Upgrades out of Airpoints and into cash-denominated Ancillary Revenue.

It's frustrating both as a disenchanted HVC but also as a pragmatic supporter of the airline (who understands the need for Ancillary revenue) that they have axed a perfectly good model for optimising upgrade revenue in favour of a lousy and expensive outsourced one.

Confirmed Upgrades was a really sound idea, that needed a small amount of reform to make it into

1) a cash revenue stream
2) a driver for passengers to buy higher-fare bucket tickets in the first place
3) a program which HVCs saw as a perk.

Instead it got axed in favour of a lottery which the airline has to pay someone else to manage, and which antagonises pretty much every HVC.

Last edited by DCF; Nov 29, 2012 at 4:28 pm
Old Nov 29, 2012, 3:44 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Originally Posted by DCF
As I wrote, they just needed to take Confirmed Upgrades out of Airpoints and into cash-denominated Ancillary Revenue.
This used to be possible with a number of fare types. Sector Upgrades were available and booked into O and J (or maybe Z) class. I used them on a number of occasions - IIRC O used to be $300/sector and Z was $1500 (from an economy fare - maybe H basis).
Old Nov 29, 2012, 9:15 pm

Programs: NZ*S, UA, WN
Interesting discussion.

I'm not sure about going back to confirmed upgrades as a cash-paid system. Doesn't that sort of undercut the regular fares? Why would a customer pay $4500 for a C/D BP fare, when they could buy U for $2600 and an $1150 confirmed upgrade?

Also I think it strengthens the loyalty program to have such convenient upgrades, but restricted to payment in APD. Once open to cash, I think it devalues things a bit and probably becomes harder for them to manage.

In place of OneUp, if they really wanted to maximize the revenue from unsold inventory, they could blast out an email to all passengers 24-hours before the flight (after all confirmed upgrades have cleared) saying "An upgrade is available for $xxx...". The amount would of course change depending on the number of available seats, plus whatever other factors they wanted to throw in. This would give visitors, infrequent flyers, etc. (who probably have no APD) a chance to upgrade, and is certainly easier to understand than having to go through the OneUp wheel of Doom. No reason that couldn't be done in house either, why are they paying a third party to "manage" this stuff?
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:01 pm

Programs: air NZ
Post Air NZ reply

Originally Posted by Gasfoodlodging
Alastair, while we have you...for absolute clarity, can you please confirm that as long as a ski/ snowboard bag is under 2m in length, and under 23kg, it will not be subject to any 'excess baggage' fee under the new policy (for both domestic and long haul)? i.e. it is a standard bag...

Thanks, and good on you for fronting.
Yes this is correct, it will be counted as a standard bag if you have booked after the 22nd of Nov change
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:19 pm
DCF

Programs: Etihad Guest
Originally Posted by baldingeagle
Interesting discussion.

I'm not sure about going back to confirmed upgrades as a cash-paid system. Doesn't that sort of undercut the regular fares? Why would a customer pay $4500 for a C/D BP fare, when they could buy U for $2600 and an $1150 confirmed upgrade?

Also I think it strengthens the loyalty program to have such convenient upgrades, but restricted to payment in APD. Once open to cash, I think it devalues things a bit and probably becomes harder for them to manage.
With respect, I'm not arguing for that version of Confirmed Upgrades.

Firstly, Confirmed Upgrades didn't let someone snaffle a Business Premier fare for a knockdown price. They allowed someone buying the most expensive Premium Economy (or Economy) fare bucket to access very limited inventory in the cheapest Business Premier (or Premium Economy) fare bucket, by paying a very large amount ($1010 one-way across the Pacific, for example).

Secondly, the key to this being seen as Ancillary Revenue would be for it to be a cash transaction. And at that point it is easy to manage - when you apply you put your credit card details on your application.

Thirdly, remember that this incentivises us to buy U class when A/O/E are available, or YMBH when LSGK etc are available. That is a big buy-up.

Fourthly, allow access dates to be driven by Airpoints status (so GEs go before G go before S) but allow cash ayment because that affects the bottom line.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:22 pm

Programs: QF Platinum / LTS, Air NZ Gold Elite, Velocity Silver, OW Emerald, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by brenrox
Welcome edmm

Great first post and I think you hit the nail on the head with many of your statements. Over the last 1-2 years, it has been very obvious on FT the large number of flyers who have defected to other airlines; some of these people no doubt were spending in excess of $100000 p.a each on airfares and it seems odd they would compromise that with all this new penny pinching. So much for "the airline whose fares have nothing to hide", it's now more complex than a cryptic crossword
+1
Yes I for one have taken most of my $60k per year travel spend to QF and "advising" my employees to do the same (about the same spend). I know in the scheme of things QF isn't a great program, but its sure a lot less confusing and as a regular TT flyer with WP status, it works much better for me.

All that NZ will get next year is enough flights to requalify as GE (810SP) with the balance required coming from credit card spend.

They have already lost one TT flight next year because when I went to book it the other day, all the "free" PE seats were taken and they wanted to charge me $10 more for the vacant ones across the aisle (25C) -

AlastairR, if you'd care to take a scroll through my BA97 flight diary over the past 3 years you will see what started as pretty solid "Blue koru" is now heavily "red Roo". This has been driven by the constant changes and devaluing of the service you provide your HVC's.

OT, but worth noting in an ironic way - I earn almost as many APD on my Amex Plat CC when I buy my QF TT Y fares as I would have gotten had I actually booked & flown NZ -
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Rotodavid123
OT, but worth noting in an ironic way - I earn almost as many APD on my Amex Plat CC when I buy my QF TT Y fares as I would have gotten had I actually booked & flown NZ -
I credited my recent (company booked) SQ flights WLG-SIN to my empty TG account because Airpoints was such a poor return on a fully flexible SQ fare of 40 APD total (2x 20 APD!!). NZ treats this as SQ flexi fare as discounted economy.

At least with TG the 12,000 miles I earned I have a choice of $80-140 hotel value, a one waydomestic biz flight in Thailand ~ $200 value or (just about) a domestic economy return in Thailand ~ $300 value.

Actually, scanning the BA97.com flight records of many members here might be useful for AlastairR to see the extent of travel made by FTers here, and with whom they fly.

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Nov 30, 2012 at 3:15 am
Old Nov 30, 2012, 3:53 am

Programs: NZ*S, UA, WN
Originally Posted by DCF
With respect, I'm not arguing for that version of Confirmed Upgrades.

Thirdly, remember that this incentivises us to buy U class when A/O/E are available, or YMBH when LSGK etc are available. That is a big buy-up.

Fourthly, allow access dates to be driven by Airpoints status (so GEs go before G go before S) but allow cash ayment because that affects the bottom line.
Well I mostly agree (not that my opinion really matters, I'm only Silver but the workings of the system interest me).

The incentive to by full-fare (YBMH/U) should have been a strong component of the old system, which just leads me to wonder why they changed it? Even if they were losing money with Airpoints upgrades, it seems like it would have been far simpler to adjust the redemption amounts (earn has been touched plenty!) to make it work for them. I'm still not sure if having it cash-based is better than a tweak of the old system though, only because it seems to strengthen the loyalty program if you have to use the loyalty currency (assuming you get rid of "OneSmart", etc. as well).

Or lower the Star Alliance award travel redemption amounts. Wouldn't it be in NZ's favor if more customers redeemed their APD for travel on other carriers vs. NZ inventory that could potentially be sold to a revenue pax? The redemption amounts are so high though relative to the current earning amounts that it's a pretty-much useless component of the reward system.

Anyway, we're way OT. Hopefully Alistair comes back around with some more input.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 6:40 am

Programs: BA Gold, NZ*G
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi

Actually, scanning the BA97.com flight records of many members here might be useful for AlastairR to see the extent of travel made by FTers here, and with whom they fly.
I think they will be neither surprised nor interested in HVCs leaving NZ in their droves for the competition. Hard to believe perhaps, but it must be true. If they had been concerned about the loss of HVC business they would have played the last year or so very differently.

In the execution of NZ's deliberate change in strategy, the loss of HVCs is surely just being chalked up to collateral damage.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 7:32 pm

Programs: NZ G, QF G, Accor Plat
I should know this but

"but its sure a lot less confusing and as a regular TT flyer with WP status, it works much better for me."

What does WP status mean ?

Thanks
Old Nov 30, 2012, 7:45 pm

Programs: BA Silver, NZ Jade, QF Bronze, A Club Platinum, Hhonors Silver
Originally Posted by ASJOHNSTONE
What does WP status mean ?
Qantas/Virgin Australia Status Abbreviation Summary:
CL: Chairmans Lounge
WP1: Platininum 1 (Qantas only) (also PO, W!, WP!, ÜW [Über W@nker])
WP: W@nker Platinum
SG: Scum Gold
PG: Partner Gold
QP: Qantas Pub (er Club) Member
VP: Virgin Pub (er Lounge) Member
PS: Plebian Silver
NB: Nufin Bronze (Qantas only)
NR: Nufin Red (Velocity Only)
Old Dec 1, 2012, 2:18 pm

AlastairR - Welcome to the forum. I have an ancillary revenue question for you.

What do you think people who have paid for a business fare think of getting advertisements before every movie / episode on IFE? Surely shelling out $10k for a airfare would entitle you to watch the IFE without being pestered by repetitive ads?

Originally Posted by AlastairR
Yes this is correct, it will be counted as a standard bag if you have booked after the 22nd of Nov change
Old Dec 1, 2012, 2:54 pm

Programs: NZ*S plus various hotel programs
Originally Posted by NZSportsTech
What do you think people who have paid for a business fare think of getting advertisements before every movie / episode on IFE? Surely shelling out $10k for a airfare would entitle you to watch the IFE without being pestered by repetitive ads?
I suspect that the target audience for most of the adverts, especially the yacht one, is aimed exclusively at those flying in business or premium economy, so they are unlikely to be removed.

However there may be a better way to do this. For business and premium economy allow people to opt out or at least just show adverts once per flight.

For those in economy who have paid works / works deluxe, let them see adverts for say the first two programs they watch.

For those in economy who do not pay for IFE, show them adverts at a similar rate to those seen on TV.

Anyone GE, who by definition flies often and thus will see the adverts often, let them just see them once per flight at the most no matter where they sit.

This will benefit everyone, with premium passengers seeing some but not as many adverts all the way to the low cost people getting IFE without paying for it directly. Plus there is a perk for GE.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 12:57 pm

Programs: air NZ
Originally Posted by MattNZ
Hey Sam / Balding Eagle, I think the standard is that if it's under two metres, it's a normal (but extra) bag

From;
http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/oversized-items

"The following items may be considered as one standard piece of baggage:
Any portable musical instrument not exceeding 100cm in length
One bicycle
One surfboard
One pair of snow skis
One snowboard
One pair of water skis
One golf bag containing golf clubs and one pair of shoes
Please note there is a maximum weight restriction of 32kg (70 lbs) per item and length restrictions also apply."

and length restrictions are:

"The maximum length per piece on jet aircraft is 2 metres however this may be reduced depending on the width and height of the item. Items exceeding 2 metres but less than 2.5 metres in length are subject to oversized item charges."

my emphasis added. It's a bit confusing using a bike as an example of an oversized item, then listing it as something that "may" be a standard bag, I agree. the definition does seem to fall at the 2m mark though, so I would use that if you run into issues at check-in.

so I guess the practical consequence is you either need to book a flexi fare that comes with 2 bags as standard, be a Gold, Gold Elite or Koru on A seat + bag fare or pay for an extra bag.

Or just wear your ski gear onto the plane with some carry on extras! at least you know you'll get there with AirNZ vs Jetstar.

Just my 2 cents
Yes this is correct - if your sporting equipment is less than 2m in lenght it will be treated as a standard bag

thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.