Wiki Posts
Search

Successful/unsuccessful oneup bids

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2012, 6:44 pm

unsucessful

flight: NZ39 AKL-HKG / 28AUG
class: Y-> PE
$ or APD: request 220APD (from NZ*G's account)
outcome: unsucessful (at this stage)

noticafted by email 3 days prior depature.

offer strength still indicate 4/5 (light green) + offer received. it does not indicate "declind". so wondering there might be still be a chance. will report back on later on.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 7:01 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
It is my experience that if they don't clear you in the first couple of the 7 days, your offer will be declined. They just won't tell you until the last day.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 8:37 pm

Programs: QF Gold
I presume there's no uplift on the bid.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by Shazzadude
I presume there's no uplift on the bid.
i presumed the same too, then again i dont like this "guessing game" and i dont like my APD 1 = NZ$1.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 5:03 pm

Programs: QR Plat, NZ*E, LT AA Plat, LT Bonvoy Plat + countless others
status: passenger no NZ status, *G on UA (not sure if this has the uplift)
flight: NZ8 AKL-SFO, 2 Sept
$ or APD: request $350, was on the border of very poor/weak.
outcome: sucessful

confirmed 7 days in advance.

Last edited by Gekko; Aug 27, 2012 at 12:05 pm
Old Aug 27, 2012, 12:39 am

Programs: QF Gold, UA*G, AZ Freccia Alata - SkyTeam Elite Plus
Successful

AKL-SYD 31AUG12

NZ103 (772)

Economy -> Business

$210 bid (+10% *S uplift).

Was showing on the higher end of weak on the scale

Not sure what fare buckets were available 7 days out from flight, but upgrade was confirmed 3.5 days out.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 3:15 am

Programs: UA 1K, NZ*E, PC Platinum RA
Originally Posted by Gekko
$ or APD: request $350
outcome: sucessful

confirmed 7 days in advance.
I'd be interested to know post flight whether you thought it was worth it (assuming you've flown NZ Y on the 744 before and can make such a comparison).
Old Aug 27, 2012, 11:54 am

Programs: QR Plat, NZ*E, LT AA Plat, LT Bonvoy Plat + countless others
Originally Posted by NZ*Trout
I'd be interested to know post flight whether you thought it was worth it (assuming you've flown NZ Y on the 744 before and can make such a comparison).
Yes, personally no, but it's for an elder family member, and I'd prefer to make them more comfortable for a reasonable OneUp. I'd much rather they start sending the 777 to SFO.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 3:36 pm

Programs: BA Silver, NZ Jade, QF Bronze, A Club Platinum, Hhonors Silver
Originally Posted by Gekko
I'd much rather they start sending the 777 to SFO.
Unfortunately if they did it would be the 772 which has substandard Y+ when compared to the 744. It's only the limited fleet of 77W which currently have the new Spaceseat ... http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/new-premium-economy
Old Aug 28, 2012, 1:37 am

The other thing that might be useful would be the fare class (and product for short-haul) to try and see whether there is any correlation.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 11:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold, EK Silver, NZ Silver
My successful bid was just confirmed 5 days out:

NZ6 AKL- LAX
GBP160 (312 APD)
Economy - Premium Economy

Bid was rated as weak on the scale thingy. Not a big fan of those seats on the 772, but can't complain for 300 APD!
Old Aug 29, 2012, 3:20 am

Programs: AirNZ *G, HHonors, Hertz Gold, OmniHotels Black card
i have a flight to HKG in september, and would be interested to know if anyone has had any luck with their bids on that flight, the range of 'Weak' seems to be where people are still winning, which is about $320-420 PP.

Also, am I correct in thinking the bid only has one chance, and you cannot then put a higher bid on if the first fails?
Old Aug 29, 2012, 8:46 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Originally Posted by FlyingGeo
Bid was rated as weak on the scale thingy. Not a big fan of those seats on the 772, but can't complain for 300 APD!
Can't complain even though that is a 42% increase in required APD?
Old Aug 30, 2012, 2:12 am

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond
I've just submitted my first oneup bid, for December from U (which was seriously cheap AKL-HKG-LHR) to C on AKL-HKG and noticed that the bids are all in £ sterling, which converting from $AP means that a "very weak" bid is now more than the previous fixed amount.

In effect this is a way for NZ to burn off its $AP deposits in short order. The strongest bid was more than simply buying the next class up.

The range from lowest to strongest was from £150(or equivalent $AP) to £1050. Does this sort of range appear for NZ based Airpoints members in $AP?

It looks to me like Air NZ has decided UK based members are high yielding so has decided to create a scale of bid rating to entice higher bids than would be likely from NZ based ones. Whilst I decided to submit a bid for £250 equivalent (rated "very weak") I doubt if too many NZ based members would bid much more than $AP 500 to go from U to C on one sector.

Meanwhile I can see on EF that C is less than half full on this sector, so my "very weak" bid doesn't seem so for now (especially since U is only 30% sold) especially when I add in the 30% Gold uplift.

On an unrelated matter, I decided to gamble and bought Y on NZ1 LHR-AKL because I could get the exit row, and have noticed that the Skycouch price for the LAX-AKL leg has dropped twice. It wont be long before I bother giving it a go. (U is very high on the day I wanted to travel).
Old Aug 30, 2012, 8:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold, EK Silver, NZ Silver
Originally Posted by ajnz
Can't complain even though that is a 42% increase in required APD?
What have I missed? It makes sense that the GBP bid is converted to NZD, and the exchange rate is correct.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.