Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Successful/unsuccessful oneup bids

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2017, 7:17 pm

Hi all, first post so hope it's in the right thread. I've read through all of the posts relating to this, very interesting and I have a couple of questions.

I've been Silver for a few years, edge close to gold but on balance it's not worth pushing/spending to get there for me. I have enjoyed using my recognition upgrade each year which I have done AKL - SYD (I reside in CHC but take that route for a better flight time and aircraft, and from economy to business).

I was also upgraded from economy to business last year without using a voucher, I checked my app about 30 minutes prior to boarding my flight from Auckland to Rarotonga and it had changed to business. No complaints.

I know that it has been mentioned on here before that seeing unselected/"free" seats on an NZ seat-map doesn't mean there's X amount of seats available. And that just means it's unselected, and should fill up by 24-48hrs time just prior to your flight going to airport control etc. I understand that, and it makes sense, however here is my first question:

On my most recent journey AKL - SYD return I couldn't decide which leg would be best for the upgrade, after looking at the 'available' seats each way I decided to go for the outward journey, a week prior to departure there were approx 16 of the 20 seats still showing as available. I did a mock booking online for 9 business class tickets and the system allowed me to progress, I didn't make the booking obviously. So I had assumed because I could book that many tickets/seats that the flight had a good amount of space. The upgrade was successful.

Looking at the return leg, it was a different configuration of the 777 or similar, the main thing was there were a far great number of business and PE seats available on this plane. Again, checking I did a mock booking online for 9 business class tickets and the system allowed me to progress, I didn't make the booking obviously, but I was led to believe there would be space up the front (and was kind of hoping for another quiet upgrade like to Rarotonga). That didn't happen on this occasion.

Now, I know that I am not a high value customer, but I thought that Silver would count for something but I feel that it doesn't really (not in terms of upgrades). As I was departing I overheard a conversation between another passenger and basically this gentleman was saying he was surprised to have been moved to business class from economy as it was his first time flying with Air NZ and he wasn't expecting an upgrade as he had never been in business class before. OK, so I have no way of knowing the background but it didn't seem like he was a frequent flyer and they way he was saying it didn't sound like there were any special circumstances. So my question really is does Silver status count for nothing in these circumstances? I realize it is a privilege to be upgraded, but here I am being loyal to Air NZ, doing what I can, there is apparent space and nothing happens. But then someone else without status and without an other know reason gets upgraded. I usually buy sale tickets for international flights, perhaps this person (and possibly various others on he flight because business ended up full) had paid more for their tickets and thus put them higher up the list than me on Silver.?

Sorry for the long winded summary, I'm more than happy for someone to tell me what or why, anything I have misunderstood etc.

Thanks
Mark
Old Jan 15, 2017, 10:46 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
FWIW my one and only ever op upgrade on Air NZ was in 1998.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 5:53 am

Programs: QF Plat, NZ Silver, EY, EK, SQ & UA
21/01/17
NZ108 SYD-AKL
Y-J (767-300)
AP$200 (no status)
Accepted 5 days out

[on behalf of parents]
Old Jan 22, 2017, 5:01 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by MT2008
Hi all, first post so hope it's in the right thread. I've read through all of the posts relating to this, very interesting and I have a couple of questions.

I've been Silver for a few years, edge close to gold but on balance it's not worth pushing/spending to get there for me. I have enjoyed using my recognition upgrade each year which I have done AKL - SYD (I reside in CHC but take that route for a better flight time and aircraft, and from economy to business).

I was also upgraded from economy to business last year without using a voucher, I checked my app about 30 minutes prior to boarding my flight from Auckland to Rarotonga and it had changed to business. No complaints.

I know that it has been mentioned on here before that seeing unselected/"free" seats on an NZ seat-map doesn't mean there's X amount of seats available. And that just means it's unselected, and should fill up by 24-48hrs time just prior to your flight going to airport control etc. I understand that, and it makes sense, however here is my first question:

On my most recent journey AKL - SYD return I couldn't decide which leg would be best for the upgrade, after looking at the 'available' seats each way I decided to go for the outward journey, a week prior to departure there were approx 16 of the 20 seats still showing as available. I did a mock booking online for 9 business class tickets and the system allowed me to progress, I didn't make the booking obviously. So I had assumed because I could book that many tickets/seats that the flight had a good amount of space. The upgrade was successful.

Looking at the return leg, it was a different configuration of the 777 or similar, the main thing was there were a far great number of business and PE seats available on this plane. Again, checking I did a mock booking online for 9 business class tickets and the system allowed me to progress, I didn't make the booking obviously, but I was led to believe there would be space up the front (and was kind of hoping for another quiet upgrade like to Rarotonga). That didn't happen on this occasion.

Now, I know that I am not a high value customer, but I thought that Silver would count for something but I feel that it doesn't really (not in terms of upgrades). As I was departing I overheard a conversation between another passenger and basically this gentleman was saying he was surprised to have been moved to business class from economy as it was his first time flying with Air NZ and he wasn't expecting an upgrade as he had never been in business class before. OK, so I have no way of knowing the background but it didn't seem like he was a frequent flyer and they way he was saying it didn't sound like there were any special circumstances. So my question really is does Silver status count for nothing in these circumstances? I realize it is a privilege to be upgraded, but here I am being loyal to Air NZ, doing what I can, there is apparent space and nothing happens. But then someone else without status and without an other know reason gets upgraded. I usually buy sale tickets for international flights, perhaps this person (and possibly various others on he flight because business ended up full) had paid more for their tickets and thus put them higher up the list than me on Silver.?

Sorry for the long winded summary, I'm more than happy for someone to tell me what or why, anything I have misunderstood etc.

Thanks
Mark
Probably the most important part is as you've stated - you don't know the background of this person. I think it's too difficult trying to draw conclusions without full info.

Who knows - maybe smiling nicely at the check-in agent does work!
Old Jan 22, 2017, 8:13 pm

Perhaps said person, even without Airpoints Status, had Star Alliance Gold in some form or another, thereby becoming ahead of you on the list.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 4:20 pm

I booked P.E. at a good price for LAX-AKL, departing midweek late January. Bid $470US for wife and myself to upgrade to Bus. Premier. I made the bid 2-3 weeks prior to departure. At the time the lowest "very Poor" bid I could make was $460, so I bumped it up $10 to maybe nudge ahead of the bare min. bidders. A week later the dial on the OneUp page showed minimum bid as $395. There looked to be about 13 available Business seats available at time of bid and later. 4 days prior to flight my bid was accepted for both seats. My first reaction (I'm a cynical person) was that I had been hustled. But I wouldn't have bid what I did if I didn't think I was getting value, as I'm a very tall, very heavy guy.

I made the same bid at the same time for my return trip in mid Feb on a Friday. Air NZ isn't selling any more Bus. seats on that flight, so I assume they're booked up and I'll be refused.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 9:36 am

I should add that I have no affiliations of any kind, so per info from other posts in this long thread, I'd have been at the lowest priority for an upgrade. Also, it now appears Air NZ is indeed offering for sale some Business seats on my return flight, so we'll see how that upgrade request turns out.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 5:33 pm

AKL-HKG on NZ87 yesterday (6 Feb). PE to business, 2 pax, no NZ status (but gold with A3).

Initially put in a bid for HK$2,700 per person (lowest possible). Decided to increase to HK$3,020 per person after I got an email from NZ saying the bid was very low. Day before flight get an email saying they can't confirm the bid until around 7-9 hours before flight.

Around 9 hours before flight get an email saying that bid was successful.

On flight seems business class was about 70% full.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 10:17 pm

Programs: NZ
NZ119 AKL/SYD 25/2/17
Y -> PE
No status
NZ$100 (lowest bid possible)
Accepted 5 days out
Old Feb 19, 2017, 10:38 pm

Programs: Globalist, Marriott Plat, various sundry
NZ2 AKL-LAX on 17/2/2017
Y -> PE
No status
US $280 (two notches above minimum, still treated as very low)
Rejected at 9 hours before flight
Old Feb 20, 2017, 4:09 am

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond
NZ119 AKL-SYD on 12/2/2017
Y > PE (777-200ER)
NZ Gold
£60 (lowest possible bid)
Accepted 6 days out
(Y was almost sold out, PE had around 8 empty seats on the day, C was full)
Old Feb 22, 2017, 3:49 am

Programs: AS, DL, AA, UA, WN
NZ7 SFO-AKL on 15/2/2017
Y > PE (777-300ER)
No status
US $380
Rejected 9 hours out (PE boarded completely full)

NZ123 AKL-MEL on 17/2/2017
Y > PE (777-300ER)
No status
US $80
Accepted 6 days out
Old Feb 28, 2017, 6:15 pm

First time posting here....

Flying Air NZ next week LAX to ACK with a bid of $365. I'm just a solo pax, but the more I read, the more it sounds like it won't happen! Many variables at play here, so I guess I'll just take my chances.

Ok I edged up to $410! Ha ha I can see why they do this...

Last edited by KristenVandalay; Feb 28, 2017 at 6:22 pm
Old Feb 28, 2017, 8:36 pm

Programs: AirNZ *G, HHonors, Hertz Gold, OmniHotels Black card
Originally Posted by KristenVandalay
First time posting here....

Flying Air NZ next week LAX to ACK with a bid of $365. I'm just a solo pax, but the more I read, the more it sounds like it won't happen! Many variables at play here, so I guess I'll just take my chances.

Ok I edged up to $410! Ha ha I can see why they do this...
Just got back from LAX-AKL this morning, One up successful bid from Economy to PE for 400AP (+Gold Uplift). Flight was 95% full.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 3:59 am

Originally Posted by MT2008

Thanks
Mark
Ive been Gold or Elite for the last 10 years....and you've had more op ups on NZ than Ive had. NZ is well known for managing inventory very carefully/well...and handing out very few upgrades that are not "paid for" in some fashion...
If you EXPECT upgrades because you are Silver you are asking to be disappointed.

FWIW Ive had ONE op up in my life... from Biz to First on CX....and I have ZERO Oneworld status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.