Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

$50 award change fee when I didn't want a change in the first place?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2006, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, UA, AA, B6, BA (airline status-free leisure traveler), Hilton Diamond

Booked 2 award tix from US to SJU using NW miles and 2 award tix on same itinerary using FB miles, both flying CO. CO changed the return flight times, so the layover became inconvenient. NW changed me to better CO flights with no fee. FB wants a $50 per ticket fee to make the same changes. Why? It is not my fault that CO changed the flight times.

Any opinions or suggestions? Thanks.
Old Nov 20, 2006, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Talking Oui aur French, oui dou not need un reason!

Originally Posted by loomis
Booked 2 award tix from US to SJU using NW miles and 2 award tix on same itinerary using FB miles, both flying CO. CO changed the return flight times, so the layover became inconvenient. NW changed me to better CO flights with no fee. FB wants a $50 per ticket fee to make the same changes. Why? It is not my fault that CO changed the flight times..
I'd kick it up to a supervisor, and see if you can get some satisfaction that way.
Old Nov 20, 2006, 5:33 pm
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I'd kick it up to a supervisor, and see if you can get some satisfaction that way.
He'll probably speak to a Dutch agent.

In that case the dialogue will go something like,

"Juetentaag, Ja I'm Zorry that is not pozzible"

Seriously though. Explain your case, I'm sure a supervisor will understand the situation (the people who you spoke to initially are trained to say no). A supervisor might just be generous by nature.
Old Nov 20, 2006, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, UA, AA, B6, BA (airline status-free leisure traveler), Hilton Diamond
When I did not get the answer that I wanted (no change fee) I told the Canadien agent that I wanted to speak to a supervisor. He told me that there was none available right now, but even if I there was the sup would tell me the same thing.
Old Nov 21, 2006, 1:42 am

When I did not get the answer that I wanted (no change fee) I told the Canadien agent that I wanted to speak to a supervisor. He told me that there was none available right now, but even if I there was the sup would tell me the same thing.
Don't take no for an answer - if there are none 'available' ask for a supervisor to call you back!
Old Nov 21, 2006, 5:45 am

Programs: FB M&M AA Amex HH SPG and others
When someone gives me that answer, I ask why the supervisor can't tell that him/herself. I don't like my assistent to put any words in my mouth, and I don't think his/her supervisor likes that either.
Old Nov 22, 2006, 11:48 am
Original Poster

All is well that ends well

Update: Spoke to rep at CO and told him that FB was trying to stick me with a $50 change fee. He said that although he had no power over FB he agreed that they should not charge me. I called FB back and spoke to a different rep. She made the change with no fees.

I guess that this once again proves that if you don't like the answer you get from one rep it is worthwhile to call back and speak to someone else. It isn't covenient, but it often works.
Old Nov 22, 2006, 11:52 am
PJK

Programs: KL/AF FB Plat, Hilton Silver, La Quinta Gold
I am just wondering in this case: Did FB charge you the same amount of taxes/surcharges as NW charged you for the same flights? I assume you paid the same amount of miles. But FB has a tendency to (over)charge on fuel surcharges; I am wondering if this also goes for non-AF/KL flights you book with FB-miles.
Old Nov 22, 2006, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PJK
I am just wondering in this case: Did FB charge you the same amount of taxes/surcharges as NW charged you for the same flights? I assume you paid the same amount of miles. But FB has a tendency to (over)charge on fuel surcharges; I am wondering if this also goes for non-AF/KL flights you book with FB-miles.
They both charged me about the same. The only difference was that since I made the res thru FB's Canadian Call Center I was charged for that one in Canadian, so the conversion was off by a little. It was $39 US each through NW and $50+/- Canadian through FB.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.