Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

Virgin Atlantic, Air France and KLM launch codeshare partnership

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 13, 2020, 1:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Gajan
Hi All,

Further to the earlier recalled news regarding the Air France, KLM and Virgin Atlantic partnership, please find below information regarding the partnership.

As a Flying Blue member, it is now possible to:
- earn miles;
- earn XP on eligible flights (provided flights are booked in a mileage earning fare class);
- earn Elite bonus miles;
- spend miles
- extent overall validity of miles.

Earn miles

Earning miles and XP's is possible for VS or DL marketed flights and operated by AF/KL/VS/DL based on the fare class and distance flown according to the following scheme:

- Business class: J, C (200%); D (175%); I (150%); Z (100%);
- Premium economy: W, S (125%); H (100%); K (75%);
- Economy Delight: V (100%;
- Economy Classic Y, B (100%); R, L (75%); U, M, E (50%); Q, X, N, O (25%);
- Economy Light: T (20%).

Elite benefits

In addition, Flying Blue Silver members will receive the following benefits when flying VS:
- priority boarding;
- priority check-in / priority baggage drop-off.

In addition, Flying Blue Gold members will receive the following benefits when flying VS:
- priority boarding;
- priority check-in / priority baggage drop-off;
- priority baggage handling;
- additional baggage allowance (+ 1 bag);
- lounge access + 1 guest. Note: exceptions apply. At LHR, FB Gold members do not have access to the Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse but are invited to the Qantas lounge. At JNB no lounge access is provided when flying Virgin Atlantic.

In addition, Flying Blue Platinum (Ultimate) and Club 2000 (Skipper) members will receive the following benefits when flying VS:
- priority boarding;
- priority check-in / priority baggage drop-off;
- priority baggage handling;
- additional baggage allowance (+ 1 bag);
- lounge access + 1 guest, except at JNB. FB Platinum members have access to the Virgin Clubhouse at LHR (and other locations). At JNB no lounge access is provided when flying Virgin Atlantic.
- priority security.

Final remarks

In case if you have any questions regarding the new partnership, please post your question. I will see if FB can answer the questions where possible.

Best regards,

Gajan
Print Wikipost

Virgin Atlantic, Air France and KLM launch codeshare partnership

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2019, 1:22 pm

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by brunos
If I remember correctly, it was one of the condition imposed to get agreement of the JV DL/AF/KL. AF could not codeshare on DL flights from UK and DL could not codeshare on AFKL flights UK to Europe.
Wonder what will happen when the new JV is fully approved.
Thanks, that’s interesting. Didn’t know that
Old May 10, 2019, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA plat, Hertz, gold , Bonvoy gold,IHGplat
Not sure what will happen if you are flying PE and one of the legs is KL, Will you be bumped down to regular economy?
Old May 11, 2019, 8:26 am

If I remember correctly, it was one of the condition imposed to get agreement of the JV DL/AF/KL. AF could not codeshare on DL flights from UK and DL could not codeshare on AFKL flights UK to Europe.
Wonder what will happen when the new JV is fully approved.
Coming back to this, I can confirm that this is not true.

AF-coded flights operated by DL show for instance in expertflyer, with their AF flight number. But they do not show in the AF app. So AF can sell tickets for DL-operated flights between UK and US with its code, but for some reasons doesn't do so on its own app:

Old May 11, 2019, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Again, I am not 100% sure, only 95%, and we might find the proper threads discussing the JV soon to be replaced. But I do remember that it was a condition requested by the UK (BA).

I don't think that your EF finding proves the point.
The fact that EF lists all codeshares on a flight does not mean that they can be sold.
For example, EF would list all BA coded (CX metal) out of HKG, but they could only be bought in conjunction with a LHR-HKG flight. No way to buy a BA ticket with BA code on say HKG-SYD.There rare millions of other examples. For example EF gives a JL-coded flight CDG-NCE, but JL cannot sell this ticket alone, it need to be in conjonction with a longhaul JAL flight.
AF or a TA website will not sell an AF-coded LHR-JFK because this is not allowed, not because it is a glitch on AF App.
If you find someone willing to sell that AF ticket standalone I will be proven wrong but I strongly doubt it.
San Gottardo and SkyteamEP like this.
Old May 11, 2019, 10:25 am

Ah, OK, got it.

Thanks for the clarification ^
Old May 11, 2019, 3:38 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue
Again, I am not 100% sure, only 95%, and we might find the proper threads discussing the JV soon to be replaced. But I do remember that it was a condition requested by the UK (BA).

The fact that EF lists all codeshares on a flight does not mean that they can be sold.
For example, EF would list all BA coded (CX metal) out of HKG, but they could only be bought in conjunction with a LHR-HKG flight. No way to buy a BA ticket with BA code on say HKG-SYD.There rare millions of other examples. For example EF gives a JL-coded flight CDG-NCE, but JL cannot sell this ticket alone, it need to be in conjonction with a longhaul JAL flight.
AF or a TA website will not sell an AF-coded LHR-JFK because this is not allowed, not because it is a glitch on AF App.
If you find someone willing to sell that AF ticket standalone I will be proven wrong but I strongly doubt it.
Yes - This is correct... As you will see, you cannot book a single DL coded flight between BHX and AMS, but you can book a DL coded flight between BHX and AMS, when it connects further with a long haul DL coded flight... Nevertheless, if you call the call centre, they'll sell you the flight anyway.
Old May 11, 2019, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Could you clarify what you mean?
If you call the Delta call center, they will sell you a BHX-AMS-BHX DL-coded revenue ticket ?
Old May 12, 2019, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by George Moore
Yes - This is correct... As you will see, you cannot book a single DL coded flight between BHX and AMS, but you can book a DL coded flight between BHX and AMS, when it connects further with a long haul DL coded flight... Nevertheless, if you call the call centre, they'll sell you the flight anyway.
Could you clarify what you mean?
If you call the Delta call center, they will sell you a BHX-AMS-BHX DL-coded revenue ticket ?
I agree with Brunos. I don’t understand your last sentence. You cannot book this standalone ticket under DL code even calling a call center.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old May 12, 2019, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was doing some after-diner reserch and looked at AF announcement about VS codesharing:
https://www.airfranceklm.com/en/virg...re-partnership

At the bottom they mention extended codeshares with DL. I then went to the AF website. There you can buy these new routes, e.g. LHR-PDX or EDI-JFK, under AF code!
So the "old" destinations (maybe they are listed in the previous JV) are not available for purchase, but the new ones are.

VS is not part of the existing JV, but it is interesting to see what will happen when the new JV AF/KL/DL/VS is finally approved later this year. Will the EU and US approve the sale of AF-coded flights from UK to US to all destinations, on VS and DL? Or will those AF codes on VS disappear?

In any case, there is probably little incentive for a FB member to book under AF code rather than DL code . But the new VS codeshares are a significant benefit for UK-based FB members.
irishguy28 likes this.

Last edited by brunos; May 12, 2019 at 11:26 pm
Old Aug 3, 2019, 6:13 am

Not sure whether this is known, but flew VS LHR-JFK on ticket bought through KLM. I got miles and XP for this. And as a bonus, Richard Branson sat in front of me!
Old Aug 3, 2019, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Thino
Not sure whether this is known, but flew VS LHR-JFK on ticket bought through KLM. I got miles and XP for this.
If your flights were KL-coded, then nothing surprising and new. But thank you for reporting your experience, always useful
and great bonus !
Old Aug 5, 2019, 9:39 am

Programs: Flying Blue (plat), Eurobonus (gold), Accor (plat), Bonvoy (plat)
Originally Posted by Goldorak
If your flights were KL-coded, then nothing surprising and new. But thank you for reporting your experience, always useful
and great bonus !
Indeed VS flight from LON / MAN are KL and AF code-shared for most of them (not all apparently). However neither lounge access nor other services (seat +) seem provided, but maybe this will change once the new Transatlantic JV is fully set up ?
Old Aug 5, 2019, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by Nico40
However neither lounge access nor other services (seat +) seem provided, but maybe this will change once the new Transatlantic JV is fully set up ?
We all hope !
Old Aug 25, 2019, 1:18 pm

How close are VS to join Skyteam?
Old Aug 25, 2019, 1:39 pm

Programs: BA BAEC Gold (oW Emerald), AF/KLM FB Plat (ST E+), *Alliance Nada
Originally Posted by criced
How close are VS to join Skyteam?
Last time I read, VS is not interested in joining any alliance nor SkyTeam. With that being said, with the JV taking place (unless the DOT approval is delayed by the Delta Pilots Union objection), it is likely that there will be, in time, some reciprocity and mutual recognitions of Elite status & benefits among AF, KL, DL & VS along those 4 companies. DL and VS have mutual recognition of elites as part of their current JV.

A flight operated by VS with a VS code (marketed by VS) would still accrue award miles & XPs for a AF-KLM Flying Blue member and award miles & MQMs for a Delta SkyMiles member (the case currently), but not for, let's say an Air Europa SUMA member, who is still bound by SkyTeam rules (flight must be marketed and operated by a SkyTeam member airline).

We should know more once the JV is formally approved. However, I am sure that other FT insiders will probably be able to abund and provide more insights.

Cheers,
Vinnyc

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.