FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Atlantic, Air France and KLM launch codeshare partnership
Old May 12, 2019, 7:47 am
brunos
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by brunos
Again, I am not 100% sure, only 95%, and we might find the proper threads discussing the JV soon to be replaced. But I do remember that it was a condition requested by the UK (BA).

I don't think that your EF finding proves the point.
The fact that EF lists all codeshares on a flight does not mean that they can be sold.
For example, EF would list all BA coded (CX metal) out of HKG, but they could only be bought in conjunction with a LHR-HKG flight. No way to buy a BA ticket with BA code on say HKG-SYD.There rare millions of other examples. For example EF gives a JL-coded flight CDG-NCE, but JL cannot sell this ticket alone, it need to be in conjonction with a longhaul JAL flight.
AF or a TA website will not sell an AF-coded LHR-JFK because this is not allowed, not because it is a glitch on AF App.
If you find someone willing to sell that AF ticket standalone I will be proven wrong but I strongly doubt it.
I was doing some after-diner reserch and looked at AF announcement about VS codesharing:
https://www.airfranceklm.com/en/virg...re-partnership

At the bottom they mention extended codeshares with DL. I then went to the AF website. There you can buy these new routes, e.g. LHR-PDX or EDI-JFK, under AF code!
So the "old" destinations (maybe they are listed in the previous JV) are not available for purchase, but the new ones are.

VS is not part of the existing JV, but it is interesting to see what will happen when the new JV AF/KL/DL/VS is finally approved later this year. Will the EU and US approve the sale of AF-coded flights from UK to US to all destinations, on VS and DL? Or will those AF codes on VS disappear?

In any case, there is probably little incentive for a FB member to book under AF code rather than DL code . But the new VS codeshares are a significant benefit for UK-based FB members.

Last edited by brunos; May 12, 2019 at 11:26 pm