Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

Virgin Atlantic, Air France and KLM launch codeshare partnership

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 13, 2020, 1:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Gajan
Hi All,

Further to the earlier recalled news regarding the Air France, KLM and Virgin Atlantic partnership, please find below information regarding the partnership.

As a Flying Blue member, it is now possible to:
- earn miles;
- earn XP on eligible flights (provided flights are booked in a mileage earning fare class);
- earn Elite bonus miles;
- spend miles
- extent overall validity of miles.

Earn miles

Earning miles and XP's is possible for VS or DL marketed flights and operated by AF/KL/VS/DL based on the fare class and distance flown according to the following scheme:

- Business class: J, C (200%); D (175%); I (150%); Z (100%);
- Premium economy: W, S (125%); H (100%); K (75%);
- Economy Delight: V (100%;
- Economy Classic Y, B (100%); R, L (75%); U, M, E (50%); Q, X, N, O (25%);
- Economy Light: T (20%).

Elite benefits

In addition, Flying Blue Silver members will receive the following benefits when flying VS:
- priority boarding;
- priority check-in / priority baggage drop-off.

In addition, Flying Blue Gold members will receive the following benefits when flying VS:
- priority boarding;
- priority check-in / priority baggage drop-off;
- priority baggage handling;
- additional baggage allowance (+ 1 bag);
- lounge access + 1 guest. Note: exceptions apply. At LHR, FB Gold members do not have access to the Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse but are invited to the Qantas lounge. At JNB no lounge access is provided when flying Virgin Atlantic.

In addition, Flying Blue Platinum (Ultimate) and Club 2000 (Skipper) members will receive the following benefits when flying VS:
- priority boarding;
- priority check-in / priority baggage drop-off;
- priority baggage handling;
- additional baggage allowance (+ 1 bag);
- lounge access + 1 guest, except at JNB. FB Platinum members have access to the Virgin Clubhouse at LHR (and other locations). At JNB no lounge access is provided when flying Virgin Atlantic.
- priority security.

Final remarks

In case if you have any questions regarding the new partnership, please post your question. I will see if FB can answer the questions where possible.

Best regards,

Gajan
Print Wikipost

Virgin Atlantic, Air France and KLM launch codeshare partnership

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2019, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Brexit might make it interesting.
I am no expert of EU procedures, but it seems that the airlines will have to redraft the JV probably excluding AZ and including VS , so that the two separate AFKL-DL JV and DL-VS JV become one. If no-deal Brexit, the EU will lose jurisdiction over UK and UK-US routes. It is likely that a new JV has already been submitted. Maybe the EU will fast-track it and approve it before 31 March (or whatever delay date is granted).
Fun
Old Mar 5, 2019, 5:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Don't forget - this is just a codesharing arrangement.

All codeshares earn miles, regardless of operator.

The Flying Blue website won't be "updated" on the basis of this arrangement, which is merely codesharing. (e.g. you don't find Etihad, Qantas, etc listed on the Flying Blue partners page, because they are also mere codeshare partners)

(In due time, once the new JV is operational, then Virgin Atlantic should be announced as a new Flying Blue partner. Only at that stage will VS be mentioned on the Flying Blue website as a partner).
Curious to see what the scope oft his coming FB partnership will be! Wondering how much is needed to get VS in to Skyteam and if the FB partnership makes that obsolete?
Not really familiar with the Skyteam requirements and benefits for VS. Especially with this JV in place, it seems that VS has a pretty good access to flights and does not have to offer anything back
Old Mar 5, 2019, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
VS has always maintained that they are not interested in joining Skyteam, and there is no requirement for them to do so.

Once AFKL and Flying Blue are partnered with VS and Flying Club, then the only meaningful missing parts from Skyteam membership - frequent flyer reciprocal recognition - will be in place. Of course, it sucks for Alitalia members (or those with other Skyteam FFPs) but at least they can choose to avoid flying VS where this makes sense for them.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 10:08 am
Original Poster

VS has always maintained that they are not interested in joining Skyteam, and there is no requirement for them to do so.

Once AFKL and Flying Blue are partnered with VS and Flying Club, then the only meaningful missing parts from Skyteam membership - frequent flyer reciprocal recognition - will be in place. Of course, it sucks for Alitalia members (or those with other Skyteam FFPs) but at least they can choose to avoid flying VS where this makes sense for them.
I guess when you're on another FFP than FB or Flying Club Just stick to AMS or CDG as a transfer hub instead of LHR. It's not that you can't get to your destination in the US without VS coming from Asia. It's a pure improvement
Old Mar 5, 2019, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by r0gerthat
I guess when you're on another FFP than FB or Flying Club Just stick to AMS or CDG as a transfer hub instead of LHR. It's not that you can't get to your destination in the US without VS coming from Asia. It's a pure improvement
Or switch to Virgin Flying Club!

I don't know if this is a recent change, but KLM is apparently already a full earning partner in Flying Club! - and not just on the codeshare routes ("on all KLM operated and marketed services")! And with pretty decent earning rates - 400% (J/C/D) or 200%(I/Z) in business!!!

However, the equivalent table for Air France indicates that earning is only on codeshare flights...

Of course, the subset of earning partners for Virgin Club won't be of much interest to people who travel widely on Skyteam, but if the collection of airlines makes sense for your travel patterns, it may be a very interesting programme to swap over to...
Attached Images  
Lewis42 likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brunos
I am no expert of EU procedures, but it seems that the airlines will have to redraft the JV probably excluding AZ and including VS , so that the two separate AFKL-DL JV and DL-VS JV become one. If no-deal Brexit, the EU will lose jurisdiction over UK and UK-US routes. It is likely that a new JV has already been submitted. Maybe the EU will fast-track it and approve it before 31 March (or whatever delay date is granted).
Fun
The plan as it currently stands is to exclude AZ entirely from the new JV, the applications for which were submitted last July. There's precedent for this - AZ were only latterly admitted to the DL/AFKL Joint Venture. If Alitalia's rescue progresses to the stage where Delta does indeed take a stake, then it is pretty clear that an application would be rolled into the JV at some stage in the future.

"Although the parties hope to implement metal-neutral cooperation with Alitalia in the future, Alitalia is currently undergoing restructuring through the Italian bankruptcy process, and its future ownership structure is uncertain," the applicants say in the filing with the US Department of Transportation.
But, as things currently stand and with a question mark still over Alitalia, there is no real question of it being included in the JV right now, and certainly NOT in place of VS.

Brexit shouldn't really affect the JV (although AFKL has negotiated a clause to sell their shareholding back to the Virgin Group in the case that the eventual Brexit makes their investment in a UK airline untenable/unattractive). All that might happen is that the UK CMA may end up having an additional say in the matter as well. There certainly shouldn't be a "rush" on anyone's part to clear it before Brexit day.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Brexit shouldn't really affect the JV (although AFKL has negotiated a clause to sell their shareholding back to the Virgin Group in the case that the eventual Brexit makes their investment in a UK airline untenable/unattractive). All that might happen is that the UK CMA may end up having an additional say in the matter as well. There certainly shouldn't be a "rush" on anyone's part to clear it before Brexit day.
You are probably right.
But I assume that the three airline groups would much prefer to have EU/US approval, especially EU, before any Brexit deal. It might be easier to treat an existing deal within the Brexit agreement than to negotiate a new one after a complex Brexit arrangement between EU and UK. Just a guess.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 1:48 am

Programs: FB Plat, IHG RA Spire, TK Elite+, HH Diamond, LH SEN, Marriott Titanium

I don't know if this is a recent change, but KLM is apparently already a full earning partner in Flying Club! - and not just on the codeshare routes ("on all KLM operated and marketed services")! And with pretty decent earning rates - 400% (J/C/D) or 200%(I/Z) in business!!!

However, the equivalent table for Air France indicates that earning is only on codeshare flights...

Of course, the subset of earning partners for Virgin Club won't be of much interest to people who travel widely on Skyteam, but if the collection of airlines makes sense for your travel patterns, it may be a very interesting programme to swap over to...
Hmmmm... this earning chart is very interesting. It may make it worth while me switching from FB to Flying Club. Being British I can access the FC Credit Card which could be interesting too...
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 2:38 am

Programs: FB Plat

Look at the bottom of both pages, on the Small Print area. To earn miles, this only works for VS marketed AF/KL operated flights.
It seems to contradict what is told at the top of the KLM page, at least it is consistent with both companies.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 2:50 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Lewis42
Hmmmm... this earning chart is very interesting. It may make it worth while me switching from FB to Flying Club. Being British I can access the FC Credit Card which could be interesting too...
I had some thoughts about it but in the end, it's better to have elite status with the SkyTeam alliance. Doesn't stop you from racking up miles on a FlyingClub account, redeem and then stick your FB number on it to enjoy elite benefits.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 5:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mirk
I had some thoughts about it but in the end, it's better to have elite status with the SkyTeam alliance. Doesn't stop you from racking up miles on a FlyingClub account, redeem and then stick your FB number on it to enjoy elite benefits.
Whoa, very interesting in deed, but as Mirk said, I agree it's better to have the Skyteam Elite+ status & benefits. But might consider this when I've more flights to the US. Currently is mostly within Europe from AMS anyway...
Old Mar 6, 2019, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brunos
Fun
It would not really make any difference on this. The EU assumes jurisdiction over any agreement that affects competition in the EU. A JV between DL and VS limited to UK-US routes would not affect competition in the EU sufficiently to warrant application of EU law. OTOH, a JV between AFKL/FL/VS over tatl traffic certainly would, whether or not it includes the UK and whether or not the UK is inside the EU or not. The difference is that they would not be bothered about the impact of the JV agreement on competition on UK-US routes any more if the UK was outside the EU. I can't think of any obvious reason why they might want to fast track it.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NickB
It would not really make any difference on this. The EU assumes jurisdiction over any agreement that affects competition in the EU. A JV between DL and VS limited to UK-US routes would not affect competition in the EU sufficiently to warrant application of EU law. OTOH, a JV between AFKL/FL/VS over tatl traffic certainly would, whether or not it includes the UK and whether or not the UK is inside the EU or not. The difference is that they would not be bothered about the impact of the JV agreement on competition on UK-US routes any more if the UK was outside the EU. I can't think of any obvious reason why they might want to fast track it.
Thanks for the analysis
Old Mar 11, 2019, 10:28 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Finnair Plat, Bonvoy Titanium, National EE
Hmm... Might try to get on a KL-coded VS flight soon to try them out, then.

However, has there been any official announcement if FB golds/plats would get access to the VS lounge at LHR? Looking at the strict wording of the Flying Blue rules, this is not allowed. Any idea if this is coming shortly?
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:20 am

Programs: FB Platinium, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold
As of today, at HEathrow, Gold/Platinium flying in coach are allowed to Lounge n1. You need a valid business class ticket to access VS Lounge.
BSAChris likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.