Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

AF staff vote down pay deal. Janaillac resigns. Benjamin Smith new CEO

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AF staff vote down pay deal. Janaillac resigns. Benjamin Smith new CEO

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2018, 11:22 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by lloydah
That's exactly what I was thinking. It'll take years for BA to regain anything like it's old self after the purges of A. Cruz et al. It's a bit like governments here in the UK. You get one party that is far right, after a time people want change so they vote in a left wing party and it swings violently the other way. Someone who wants to "turn AF" is no good unless it's done with genuine vision and not just a cost saving agenda. There's enough BA/ Ryanair about.
I would be more confident in Ben Smith tenure having a positive outcome. Under his leadership at AC, the premium cabin has progressively improved and the airline has introduced a nice premium economy product. AC has progressively expanded into new route.

Rouge (the discount airline) was setup under a separate (co-branded banner) to compete in that space.

On the negative new aircraft have become more uncomfortable in economy.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 6:44 am

Programs: FB LTPE, BAEC GGL, EK Blue, SK Gold, Marriott Amb+LTT, IHG Diamond Amb, Accorhotels Silver
Originally Posted by San Gottardo
+1. I also hope that Ben Smith or whoever will be the new CEO will have better and more visionary ideas than just cut cost on the passenger/quality end.

However, I am convinced that there are numerous ways to reduce cost without touching the product quality, in fact it can even make it better. Delayering the company in combination with a right-sizing of the HQ (yes, these are just technical terms for basically firing people); redesigning processes, leveraging technology, AI, etc; reviewing salaries/working hours; reviewing supplier relationships; etc.

On top of that, to increase margins (not only by cost cutting) numerous things could be done on the network/carrier portfolio end.

The only problem is - and I choose these words deliberately - a handful of lazy and cosseted people in the workforce who use all their energy to oppose change, who are just wired the wrong way when it comes to governance and what the objectives of the company are, and the French state as major shareholder being open all too often for calls to intervene.

So, the company may get the right guy with the right ideas about the right levers - but the in-house opposition may just be too strong. Pity.
+1000
I hope that, for once, we will have someone that will stop beating around the bush.
We all know that Air France need to undergo through a massive cultural change that should uplift the minimal level of service for every employee that is customer facing (through detailed procedure and massive training budgets), while capitalizing on individual employees that are still motivated.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 7:12 am
q

@ 107 personally I find the last comment very unfair. I find that the vast majority of customer-facing people are indeed very motivated ("despite" the bad things that are being said here and there and in the press, and which are more than enough to make me sad ... and others maybe like me who appreciate AF). If there is someone from AF reading this, please tell me the trick how not to be annoyed by some of the comments.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Le Figaro announces that the new CEO nomination is for tomorrow.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by q
@ 107 personally I find the last comment very unfair. I find that the vast majority of customer-facing people are indeed very motivated ("despite" the bad things that are being said here and there and in the press, and which are more than enough to make me sad ... and others maybe like me who appreciate AF). If there is someone from AF reading this, please tell me the trick how not to be annoyed by some of the comments.
Hey, I hope that you accept difference on opinion based on experiences that differ from yours

Personally, I agree with @107 +100000.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Goldorak
Le Figaro announces that the new CEO nomination is for tomorrow.
Pilots campaign heavily for Thierry Antinori, former AF, LH and now E where he is in charge of commercial aspects.
He is more a marketing man than a labor management guy. He turned it down two years ago but circumstances might have changed.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 8:10 am
q

"we all know that" is not the same as the expression of someone's opinion
Old Aug 16, 2018, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Nine major Air France unions publish a press release where that state (my translation):
"it is inconceivable that Air France, French since 1933 be put in the hands of a foreign manager"

Cry or laugh?

https://fr.reuters.com/article/topNe...BN1L10OY-OFRTP
Old Aug 16, 2018, 8:37 am

Programs: FB Plat
Both. Laugh at the cry of despair, cry at the union's poisoned welcome gift.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brunos
Nine major Air France unions publish a press release where that state (my translation):
"it is inconceivable that Air France, French since 1933 be put in the hands of a foreign manager"

Cry or laugh?

https://fr.reuters.com/article/topNe...BN1L10OY-OFRTP
I must confess to having to suppress a gag reflex when hearing such nativist/chauvinistic garbage. This is the kind of thing that you would expect in the mouth of a Le Pen or Trump. Despicable.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 12:02 pm

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
AF is dead. Sorry. They are lagging so much behind in terms of price/performance compared to LH and IAG, and indeed KL, and then such arguments against a possible CEO who has the capabilities to turn things around....It is talk of people who do not understand we are in a different age of aviation, and that market competition rather than state monopolies are the name of the game today. Sure, complain about the ME3, but against the European and US competition AF is a dead man walking too.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
I am speechless (to not say shocked) for all the pathetic things said by the AF unions, but what can we expect from them, especially from Philippe Evain who should better seek for political asylum into a Trotskyism/communism museum somewhere in Siberia
Old Aug 16, 2018, 1:02 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Ben Smith new AF/KL CEO

Bloomberg reporting...

Air France-KLM named Air Canada’s Ben Smith as chief executive officer, casting aside union objections to entrust a foreigner with turning around Europe’s biggest carrier by passenger traffic.

The new CEO will take charge by Sept. 30 at the latest, the airline said in a statement Thursday. Smith, currently Air Canada’s operations chief, will succeed Jean-Marc Janaillac, who quit this year after failing to end a series of crippling strikes at the carrier. Air France-KLM said it would announce details “as soon as possible” on the post of non-executive chairman.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 1:11 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Well it’s official now, AF-KL Board appoints Ben Smith as new CEO:

https://www.airfranceklm.com/en/news...france-klm-ceo
Old Aug 16, 2018, 1:32 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Accor Le Club, Hilton HHonors, Hertz Gold Plus, Avis Preferred
Did SNPL already announced a welcome strike?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.