Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

AF staff vote down pay deal. Janaillac resigns. Benjamin Smith new CEO

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AF staff vote down pay deal. Janaillac resigns. Benjamin Smith new CEO

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2018, 4:57 pm

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by q
I admit that I am slowly starting to see some of your points - reading the occasional propaganda published (in French as a pdf) on the SNPL web site. Kind of depressing. You would think that it should still be possible to have normal discussions?
Not really it seems: as reported by La Tribune (click here) new strike days have been announced, June 23-26.

The strike has already cost the company EUR 400M. Not sure how much clout the interim CEO really has, given that she is interim.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 9:56 am

Programs: FB Plat
The last gossip claims that Delta had a lot of influence over the new head organization or AFKLM. Pieter Elbers, while still the head of KLM, would be more active in AFKLM. The new head would be from Northern America.
Source: La Tribune : Et si AFKLM choisissait un patron américain ? (French)

This is still a gossip at most, although an union representative has an ...interesting opinion about it: Libération : Sandrine Techer (SNPNC-Air France) "Ne pas être associé aux performances de la compagnie est vécu comme une injustice" (French)
Translated:
Sandrine Techer: [...] The new AFKLM #1 would have a doubled salary, and might not be French.
Libération: Would that be a problem?
Sandrine Techer: Not being French, is a problem for us. Looking back at history, Air France is the one who bought KLM and not the other way around. [...]
Old Aug 2, 2018, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB , BA Gold
several interesting articles on AF saga in Le Figaro 2 August
Toujours sans pilote, Air France-KLM encaisse les turbulences
Air France-KLM : les coulisses d'une longue bérézina
Old Aug 8, 2018, 7:24 am

French press reports rumours that the current number 2 of Air Canada is the preferred candidate.

Article from Le Monde

Last edited by San Gottardo; Aug 8, 2018 at 8:27 am
Old Aug 8, 2018, 7:50 am

Programs: FB Plat
The : is missing after the https in your link.

La Tribune (French) gives some background about Benjamin Smith, who had to manage though discussions with the unions at Air Canada.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by Zarmakuizz
The : is missing after the https in your link
Fixed. Thanks for pointing out.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 8:42 am

Honestly, it might not be a bad idea to bring someone from that side of the Atlantic, given that the work and business culture are quite different. Things tend to get done a little faster, and that might just be what AF' very dusty management need...
af fp likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 8:52 am

Programs: FB Plat./BA Gold (thanks BD)/A3 *Gold/HH Diamond/A Club Gold
Originally Posted by brunos
It was amusing to see the front page of Le Figaro in the AF lounge last week...

"Air France The Big Waste"

A Canadian is a good compromise - probably francophone.
petitaix, Zarmakuizz and Solevita like this.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Leaking the name of a potential candidate is a certainty to have him shot from many sides.
Benjamin Smith sounds like an excellent candidate. Not only is he not a former French civil servant but he has extensive experience in the airline industry. He seems familiar with labor negotiations and successfully launched the low-fare airline Rouge. He is an english speaking canadian but probably also speaks decent French, Bringing new blood and spirit is badly needed.

But SNPL is already strongly opposed to him and launching a pathetic campaign. They would much prefer some "weak" AF guy who will perpetuate the power of pilots.
And the French "Haute" Administration is likely to find all kind of faults with him. Giving such a high French position to someone who has not "served" the State is unheard of. Let's hope.
af fp, Zembla and SkyteamEP like this.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Ben Smith from AC being put forward for CEO of AF/KLM

He has done a good job as the #2 at Air Canada (his style is much "gentler" than AC's CEO). It would be interesting to see how he could navigate the shoals of employee relations in France (and if a non-European would be allowed to run this business).

https://www.lemonde.fr/economie/arti...0404_3234.html
Old Aug 9, 2018, 3:31 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
I'm all for it. I don't like AC, but someone with aviation industry experience, union experience AND North American business culture to cut through some ........ sounds almost too good to be true.
af fp likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 3:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by caliform
I'm all for it. I don't like AC, but someone with aviation industry experience, union experience AND North American business culture to cut through some ........ sounds almost too good to be true.
Be careful what you wish for. Yes, somebody with greater international experience than you average French énarque would not be bad thing. But, ideally, you would also want someone who has enough flair, knowledge and understanding to successfully navigate the incestuous relationship between state and industry in France.
It also depends on what can of solutions he puts forward. I said in another thread that, while AF needs to sort itself out, I hope that it will not follow the low-cost direction that BA has taken. The AC background does not inspire a huge amount of confidence from that perspective and he may turn out to be AF's equivalent of Alex Cruz (albeit in the equivalent position to Willie Walsh rather than Alex Cruz).
Old Aug 10, 2018, 5:13 am

Programs: BA-S UA LH-Sen KLM/AF-Plat.
Originally Posted by NickB
Be careful what you wish for. Yes, somebody with greater international experience than you average French énarque would not be bad thing. But, ideally, you would also want someone who has enough flair, knowledge and understanding to successfully navigate the incestuous relationship between state and industry in France.
It also depends on what can of solutions he puts forward. I said in another thread that, while AF needs to sort itself out, I hope that it will not follow the low-cost direction that BA has taken. The AC background does not inspire a huge amount of confidence from that perspective and he may turn out to be AF's equivalent of Alex Cruz (albeit in the equivalent position to Willie Walsh rather than Alex Cruz).
That's exactly what I was thinking. It'll take years for BA to regain anything like it's old self after the purges of A. Cruz et al. It's a bit like governments here in the UK. You get one party that is far right, after a time people want change so they vote in a left wing party and it swings violently the other way. Someone who wants to "turn AF" is no good unless it's done with genuine vision and not just a cost saving agenda. There's enough BA/ Ryanair about.

Last edited by lloydah; Aug 10, 2018 at 5:22 am Reason: spelling
Old Aug 10, 2018, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by NickB
Be careful what you wish for. ...
Originally Posted by lloydah
That's exactly what I was thinking. It'll take years for BA...
+1. I also hope that Ben Smith or whoever will be the new CEO will have better and more visionary ideas than just cut cost on the passenger/quality end.

However, I am convinced that there are numerous ways to reduce cost without touching the product quality, in fact it can even make it better. Delayering the company in combination with a right-sizing of the HQ (yes, these are just technical terms for basically firing people); redesigning processes, leveraging technology, AI, etc; reviewing salaries/working hours; reviewing supplier relationships; etc.

On top of that, to increase margins (not only by cost cutting) numerous things could be done on the network/carrier portfolio end.

The only problem is - and I choose these words deliberately - a handful of lazy and cosseted people in the workforce who use all their energy to oppose change, who are just wired the wrong way when it comes to governance and what the objectives of the company are, and the French state as major shareholder being open all too often for calls to intervene.

So, the company may get the right guy with the right ideas about the right levers - but the in-house opposition may just be too strong. Pity.
brunos, Goldorak and Xizm like this.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 8:03 am
q

Despite the recent troubles, AF as a whole are doing Lots of things right (right now) and there is ample room for making things worse if one is not careful.
JOUY31, Goldorak and ticino like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.