Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

AF staff vote down pay deal. Janaillac resigns. Benjamin Smith new CEO

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AF staff vote down pay deal. Janaillac resigns. Benjamin Smith new CEO

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2018, 5:54 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, FB Plat
Originally Posted by Billyfergus
I try to not mix politics and frequent flyer forums
Then please don't. That comment adds absolutely nothing to this discussion and nobody is interested in a US politics 'us vs them' fanboy debate here.
ErikMpls likes this.
Old May 8, 2018, 6:05 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Air Europa Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Thijs Luyt
That might be true.
I am actually curious what arguments those unions really have to justify these strikes while they are paid more than average in the business, the company isn't doing well and they reject a very generous offer?
I think it's simplistic to say its all the workers' fault and shouldn't they be grateful for the "generous" offer.

I guess many of the workers, especially those that joined in recent years, will not feel they are well paid. Therefore the offer does not feel generous, as it probably actually represents a wage cut in real terms when inflation is factored in.

Paris is not a cheap city to live in. Workers in the trenches will feel that they already made sacrificies during the financial crisis years, now it's time to start seeing some payback.

Management has not been able to communicate with the workers, making a bad situation worse.

The Delta way would be a good model. First, get the structure in order and make the airline highly profitable. Then, give a large slice of those profits back to frontline workers, so they feel properly rewarded for the hard work they put in.

AF is not a lost cause, it's a great airline with a strong brand based in the heart of Europe in the world's most visited city. It just needs the right management to realize its potential.
Old May 8, 2018, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by HalconBCN
in the world's most visited city
It isn't* but I get the point!

*London is Europe's most visited city in 2017 followed indeed by Paris, which ranks 7th amongst the world's most visited, this according to a quick web search

G
Old May 8, 2018, 6:54 am

Fair point. I should have said France's most visited city then 😂
Old May 8, 2018, 7:04 am

Programs: Flying Blue
I think it's simplistic to say its all the workers' fault and shouldn't they be grateful for the "generous" offer.

I guess many of the workers, especially those that joined in recent years, will not feel they are well paid. Therefore the offer does not feel generous, as it probably actually represents a wage cut in real terms when inflation is factored in.

Paris is not a cheap city to live in. Workers in the trenches will feel that they already made sacrificies during the financial crisis years, now it's time to start seeing some payback.

Management has not been able to communicate with the workers, making a bad situation worse.

The Delta way would be a good model. First, get the structure in order and make the airline highly profitable. Then, give a large slice of those profits back to frontline workers, so they feel properly rewarded for the hard work they put in.

AF is not a lost cause, it's a great airline with a strong brand based in the heart of Europe in the world's most visited city. It just needs the right management to realize its potential.
Facts are that the average AF employee is getting paid more than average. I understand their reaction in case they would be underpaid. They arent.
AF isnt making a lot of money and need to be reformed in order to be fit.

I agree about communication. And I don't know how that went. It's logical to pay the employees a bonus when it goes well with the company and everybody can enjoy the prosperity.

It just amazes me to keep on striking when the company is bleeding to death and there is no bad concious about it.

It says a lot about work ethics and how bad the management was able to unite their employees as the Air France family.
Old May 8, 2018, 7:14 am
q

(...) how bad the management was able to unite their employees as the Air France family.
In this particular case, in my opinion the threat with CEO resignation had the (predictable) effect of getting more people to vote "no". Again in my opinion, that was either stupid or calculated. I cannot make my mind which of the two.
Old May 8, 2018, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by q
In this particular case, in my opinion the threat with CEO resignation had the (predictable) effect of getting more people to vote "no". Again in my opinion, that was either stupid or calculated. I cannot make my mind which of the two.
It shows the CEO was out of touch with his people.

Also letting people make make a rational decision in a emotional mindset is a mistake that he could have prevented.

I think it it was just plain stupid.
Old May 8, 2018, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB , BA Gold
AF is a bit victim of all the glorification press releases stressing the wonderful operating results for 2017. Janaillac wanted to shine as new CEO for 2017 and show investors the great turnaround he had achieved. But AFKL experienced a net loss of some million in 2017, luckily restated as a profit using new IFRS conventions..
AFKL was really helped by the capital increase from DL and MU (they must be very unhappy).

Does anyone has the division between AF and KL for operating results and net results (2017 and Q1 2018)?
Old May 8, 2018, 9:12 am

Facts are that the average AF employee is getting paid more than average. I understand their reaction in case they would be underpaid. They arent.

I agree about communication. And I don't know how that went. It's logical to pay the employees a bonus when it goes well with the company and everybody can enjoy the prosperity.

It just amazes me to keep on striking when the company is bleeding to death and there is no bad concious about it.

It says a lot about work ethics and how bad the management was able to unite their employees as the Air France family.
I am also amazed that the strike was allowed to happen as nobody wins here. AF loses, staff lose, customers lose.

The CEO has lost the battle, he has failed in his leadership and he has to go. Other heads should roll too.

About the compensation, if you compare with Easyjet or Ryanair then maybe yes, the crew are "overpaid". My understanding is that a full time long haul cabin crew member who started in the last couple of years gets about €1500/month*, which is a pretty poor salary for anyone living in Paris. Then imagine that salary being eroded by inflation. Not hard to see why someone would feel like striking, especially if management is unable to communicate a positive vision of the future.
Old May 8, 2018, 9:29 am

I am also amazed that the strike was allowed to happen as nobody wins here. AF loses, staff lose, customers lose.

The CEO has lost the battle, he has failed in his leadership and he has to go. Other heads should roll too.

About the compensation, if you compare with Easyjet or Ryanair then maybe yes, the crew are "overpaid". My understanding is that a full time long haul cabin crew member who started in the last couple of years gets about €1500/month*, which is a pretty poor salary for anyone living in Paris. Then imagine that salary being eroded by inflation. Not hard to see why someone would feel like striking, especially if management is unable to communicate a positive vision of the future.
I agree compared to LCC but I am comparing to KLM. Living in Amsterdam isn’t cheap either and is no reason to strike. I think it’s just not ethical.

I agree totally about the failure of the leadership. It’s nearly a rookie mistake.

But it then again, it’s also about the French culture and how they look at a PDG. It’s much more hierarchical compared to The Netherlands where KLM managed to create a family feeling which is visible in all aspects in the company. They even made it an USP.
Old May 8, 2018, 2:29 pm

I agree compared to LCC but I am comparing to KLM. Living in Amsterdam isn’t cheap either and is no reason to strike. I think it’s just not ethical.

I agree totally about the failure of the leadership. It’s nearly a rookie mistake.

But it then again, it’s also about the French culture and how they look at a PDG. It’s much more hierarchical compared to The Netherlands where KLM managed to create a family feeling which is visible in all aspects in the company. They even made it an USP.
Fully agree with you on the point about KLM. Employees at KLM seem to radiate pride in the work they do - and it shows in the service.
Old May 8, 2018, 3:26 pm

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Fully agree with you on the point about KLM. Employees at KLM seem to radiate pride in the work they do - and it shows in the service.
I would argue exactly the same thing about Air France staff, at least cabin crews (I hardly interact with others so I don't know). Very proud about their work, their company, the legacy. They feel a bit elitist - which is why it's so tough for them to accept that their wages are too high and need to go down to the levels of other, (in their eyes) less prestigious occupations.
Old May 8, 2018, 7:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP

It shows the CEO was out of touch with his people.

Also letting people make make a rational decision in a emotional mindset is a mistake that he could have prevented.

I think it it was just plain stupid.
Wow people from ENA, HEC, or X are out of touch? You don't say.
Old May 8, 2018, 9:26 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club Gold/AF Flying Blue Platinum/ TK Miles and Smiles Elite

I flew some months ago from CDG to South America, the cabin crew ( most of them in Business ) did not lived in Paris but in the interior of France, so they commuted to Paris for their three or four long-haul flights a month. With that point of view we can conclude how viable is the future of AF against other carriers that are far more competitive with the new trend of travelers and low cost companies TODAY and not back to the old aviation of the 80's and 90's.

Regards,
Old May 8, 2018, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by giancarlosil
I flew some months ago from CDG to South America, the cabin crew ( most of them in Business ) did not lived in Paris but in the interior of France, so they commuted to Paris for their three or four long-haul flights a month. With that point of view we can conclude how viable is the future of AF against other carriers that are far more competitive with the new trend of travelers and low cost companies TODAY and not back to the old aviation of the 80's and 90's.

Regards,
sorry, but I don’t see your point here. Are you “blaming” them for living in other cities than Paris and commuting to their base, or for not flying enough hours compared to competition?
if the former, AF staff is no different from other airlines. It is very common everywhere to live somewhere else than the main base. If the latter, yes certainly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.