Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

AF staff vote down pay deal. Janaillac resigns. Benjamin Smith new CEO

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AF staff vote down pay deal. Janaillac resigns. Benjamin Smith new CEO

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2018, 3:58 am

Programs: Many
https://www.challenges.fr/entreprise...nce-klm_587610

Plus ça change...

Edit:
Summary : French Parliament did investigate very recently on Presstalis, the business in charge of press distribution in France. Presstalis also happens to have been run by Mrs Couderc, current AFKL interim CEO, between 2010 and 2017. The report is very harsh and highlights several issues re basic principles of financial management and how the subsidies were spent (193 M EUR were received between 2010 and 2017).

Did someone mention that Presstalis is a long time monopoly, saved countless times by French taxpayers and featuring rather complicated relations with the unions?

At least Mr Evain (leading SNPL at AF) seems satisfied to see Mrs Couderc as (interim) CEO:

Now we better know why
brunos likes this.

Last edited by bodory; May 17, 2018 at 6:26 am
Old May 17, 2018, 6:45 am

Programs: TG Plat, AF Lifetime Plat , QR plat , SPG Lifetime Plat
Same Old S...
Old May 17, 2018, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by brunos
You are quite right, but when I said "AZ slope", I was talking of the AZ many years ago, not today.
Indeed; all J seats on AZ are fully flat these days - unlike the "AF slope" on the A380 et al

Old May 17, 2018, 9:33 am

Programs: Some...
Originally Posted by Ticino;
Aren't the pilots saying ("Le mécanisme qui consiste pour le groupe AF/KLM à dévier une partie du flux de ses clients vers la base d’AMS pour éviter les taxes françaises, est la principale cause des moindres résultats d’Air France.") that some passengers are being "encouraged" to book through AMS because of lower Dutch taxes?point.
Originally Posted by San Gottardo
They also say that, yes.
I received today an email/newsletter from AF promoting KLM best fares. The destinations mentionned in the email are not part of AF network but noneless, it was....
... funny
Old May 17, 2018, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by thibderoc
I received today an email/newsletter from AF promoting KLM best fares. The destinations mentionned in the email are not part of AF network but noneless, it was....
... funny
I just saw it too and had the same reaction as you
Old Jun 3, 2018, 12:38 pm

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
French press reports that hotel group ACCOR is willing to buy out the French state’s stake in AFKL.

(Can’t post a link right now but it was in the Figaro news flash)
Old Jun 3, 2018, 12:44 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Accor Le Club, Hilton HHonors, Hertz Gold Plus, Avis Preferred
Here is the article Accor prêt à racheter la part de l'État dans Air France-KLM, but access is limited to subscribers.
Another article (in French, from Les Echos) https://www.lesechos.fr/industrie-se...at-2180829.php
Old Jun 3, 2018, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by San Gottardo
French press reports that hotel group ACCOR is willing to buy out the French state’s stake in AFKL.

(Can’t post a link right now but it was in the Figaro news flash)
Originally Posted by SkyteamEP
Here is the article Accor prêt à racheter la part de l'État dans Air France-KLM, but access is limited to subscribers.
Another article (in French, from Les Echos) https://www.lesechos.fr/industrie-se...at-2180829.php
WOW !!!
that would be a big scoop.
thanks for sharing
Old Jun 4, 2018, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
article on the Dutch News website (in English)
French hotels group Accor confirmed on Monday that it was in talks to acquire all or part of the French government’s 14.3% stake in Air France KLM. The French state stake in the Franco-Dutch airline is worth about €420m based on current share value.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 6:11 am
q

In my opinion, the concept that employees are "lazy" as long as the French state is a shareholder ... is the same kind of simple (senile) thinking that likely contributed to this year's ****-up. On the other hand, yes, if the French state is not able to manage, then it should perhaps stay away from that part.
BobTL likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by q
In my opinion, the concept that employees are "lazy" as long as the French state is a shareholder ... is the same kind of simple (senile) thinking that likely contributed to this year's ****-up. On the other hand, yes, if the French state is not able to manage, then it should perhaps stay away from that part.
I have to disagree with that. Although the French state having a stake is not the origin of all AF problems and selling it will not be enough to cure the disease, there are a significant number of people who think there is no/limited need for change/reforms because the taxpayer will always pay and rescue them at the end. There is way too much influence of politics and French govt in AF affairs and selling the shares of the French state would be the best to do IMHO.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 2:26 pm

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by Goldorak
I have to disagree with that. Although the French state having a stake is not the origin of all AF problems and selling it will not be enough to cure the disease, there are a significant number of people who think there is no/limited need for change/reforms because the taxpayer will always pay and rescue them at the end. There is way too much influence of politics and French govt in AF affairs and selling the shares of the French state would be the best to do IMHO.
Whilst I do agree with you I do also think that the state selling its stake will not change anything to that attitude. Many employees at the airline are convinced that they are a national asset and too big to fail, and that the government will step in, even if they’re not a shareholder. In their mind, what would motivate the government is to save a - in their eyes - national treasure, rather than save their shareholding.
NickB and brunos like this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Goldorak
there are a significant number of people who think there is no/limited need for change/reforms because the taxpayer will always pay and rescue them at the end.
But this thinking is not limited to the private sector, though. Have you ever seen a union in France that does not consider that, above a certain size, ultimate responsibility for everything always fall on the state and that, when negotiations do not progress to their liking with the employer, the next step is to get the government involved regardless of the private or public status of the employer?
Old Jun 6, 2018, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by NickB
But this thinking is not limited to the private sector, though. Have you ever seen a union in France that does not consider that, above a certain size, ultimate responsibility for everything always fall on the state and that, when negotiations do not progress to their liking with the employer, the next step is to get the government involved regardless of the private or public status of the employer?
You are quite right.
The problem is compounded at AF byt the fact that it is a former State company and that culture is still quite strong. It did not help that all AFKL CEOs were former French civil servants.

Even if the French state sells all its shares, it will keep a strong voice at the flag carrier.
By its own statutes AFKL board od directors has 3 members proposed by the French state (4 represent the employees):
Board of Directors | Air France KLM

And even if the French state had no representative on the Board, it will retain a strong influence as suggested by NickB.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 5:34 am
q

I admit that I am slowly starting to see some of your points - reading the occasional propaganda published (in French as a pdf) on the SNPL web site. Kind of depressing. You would think that it should still be possible to have normal discussions?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.