Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

China-based: considering switch from Flying Blue to Delta Skymiles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2018, 5:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles & More

Hello,

I have been a Flying Blue Silver member for 4 or 5 years (expiring on Mar 31 this year though, because of less activity last year), but with all the changes coming up I am considering a switch to Delta's loyalty program. But before doing so, I would like to hear your thoughts.

Based in Shanghai, I travel 3-4 times to EU (F, D, CH) or US per year (on AF, KL, SU), plus I have a number of domestic and regional flights to Asia (CZ, MU), all in economy (usually in the lowest mileage-earning booking class). So far I mostly qualified on segments (15 required for Silver).

I value the Silver status, because it gives me priority check-in, which saves me a lot of time at the airport. Plus I have free seat selection (on AF/KLM) and an additional bag, both of which I make frequent use. I can live without lounge access because lounges in China are usually nothing to write home about...

Elite qualification
With my profile, the changes are actually not so bad (despite the fact that China domestic flights will earn 2 XP one-way only...). In 2018 l have so far flown 6 segments, which translates to 42 XP. Reaching Silver will not be a problem, with at least 2 long-haul returns planned in the next months (around 30 XP each), but aiming for Gold is more of a challenge, with at 5-6 long-haul returns necessary in the 12 months qualification period after I have reached Silver.

So far, so good, but looking at what Delta offers, I should be able to reach Silver and Gold with even less traveling, at least if I got the maths right and if my assumption that the MQD requirement is waived for non-US residents, is correct.
AF/KLM earns 100% MQM even on the lowest eco-booking class, so 2 long-haul returns (PVG-FRA earns 12480 MQM, for example) and 1 domestic return until the end of the year would earn me silver (25000 MQM necessary). And with 4 long-haul returns and 1 domestic return, I would be Gold (50000 MQMs)! For the sometimes quite long domestic flights, I would earn 25-100% MQM on CZ and MU, while those earn nothing on FB, or a lousy 2 XP in the next higher booking class... Earnings on SU eco would be not so good though, with only 25-50% MQM, but still better than nothing. The cheap premium eco fares (comfort class) they often publish still earn 100% MQM and 100% award miles, so it works for me.

Awards
In terms of award mileage earning, Delta should be better, basically keeping the earning rates of the "old" FB. There's a Delta credit card in China, but the earning rate is low (1 mile per 3 USD). In terms of redeeming miles, the point goes to FB, with generally better award pricing and availability, except for business class awards.

Bottom line, for elite qualification I would call it a win for Delta and for awards probably a draw (with some changes still to come to FB, though). Still, being, used to FB and so far being pretty much happy, I am not sure what to do.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 6:38 am

Programs: FB Platinum, SM Diamond
I have done the "change" last year, from FB (Flying Blue) to SM (SkyMiles). I travel most of my flight from Montreal to Shanghai (mostly AF, PE)

You are right on some points:

- It is much more easy to earn a status with SM than FB. Because the 100% distance for MQM,
- You did not need to worried about the MQD, It is important not give an USA adresse when you open your SM account.
- I suggest you check the price for travel in PE (Premium Economy with AF), if the fare difference is not too high, take it (it give 150% MQM AND 150% for the mile).
- When book your flight with MU (China Eastern), check the travel class, many time I see you can take a higher class for a few $ difference (and sometime "J" for 50$ to 75$ (you have a good return for this $$ (MQM & miles))).
- Be careful booking CZ (China southern), MQM are low and you receive NO SM bonus! (I try to book most of my CZ flight on China Eastern web site (to have a MU flight # and MU ticket # (but on an CZ flight)).
- I agree, China lounge are not the best one, but if you play carefully with you choice of class when you book, you can have a SM gold (this give you access to lounge of ALL skyteam), and even lounge in China is better to nothing (food are medium, but other service are nice (shower, ....))
Have you already put your flight to FB account (you can go back some months back to have your flights credit to SM)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.