Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 6, 2017, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: irishguy28
Introduction

As you have been following the past thread, the Flying Blue programme will change as of 1 April 2018. In order to split the discussion from the earlier thread, we have created a new thread.

On 6 November Flying Blue has organised a press conference to inform the public about the changes to the programme. In addition, a mailing will be sent out to all members on the 6th and 7th of November and more information can be found on the designated website (link: https://explorefurther.flyingblue.com).

As an introduction, please find a summary of the changes below.

Please note that at the current time there is no difference expected to the benefits of the current tier.

Change 1: no more level miles, no more segments, but Experience Points

As of 1 April 2018 you will no longer earn level miles and segments per flight, but you will earn Experience Points (XP). The number of XP earned per flight depends on your cabin (multiplier times 2 for Premium Economy, 3 for business, 5 for La Premiere) and the type of flight (distinction between domestic, medium haul, long-haul 1/2/3).

For flights between 1 January – 31 March 2018 all earned level miles and segments will be converted into XP (1 segment = 7 XP; 1,000 level miles = 5 XP for members outside France). Please note that the highest conversion applies (it is not cumulative).

The number of XP required per tiers is:
- 100 for Silver;
- 180 for Gold;
- 300 for Platinum;
- 1,800 for Platinum Ultimate (in 2 years).

Please note that for current flyers who qualify on segments based on only intra-EU flights this could see an increase in the number of flights required. However, if you fly a mix if intra-EU and intercontinental (but qualify on segments), this will most likely see a reduction in the number of flights required to qualify.
For elite members, there is a roll-over of all XP above your tier threshold.

The rules for soft-landing have been extended. It is now no longer required to make at least 1 qualifying flight and in case you do not meet your threshold you will only drop one tier.

Change 2: number of miles earned dependent on fare paid (including fuel surcharge)

The number of award miles (for AF/KL/A5) earned is now depending on the fare paid (including fuel surcharge). Ivory members earn 4 miles per Euro, Silver 6, Gold 7 and Platinum 8.

Also earn award miles on AF/KL purchases (relating to seats, baggage and meals) according to the above schedule.

Earnings on partners remains as-is (based on fare class and distance flown).

Change 3: dynamic pricing of award tickets (on AF/KL/HV)

Another change will be that award tickets will have dynamic pricing, e.g. an award AMS-JFK could be more expensive than an award DUS-AMS-JFK. This is also in line with change 2, as flights from AMS are also more expensive than flights from DUS (you also earn more miles).

This also implies that we will see a difference in the number of miles required per flight. For example, an award from continental Europe to continental USA will currently set you back 25,000 miles for a one-way in economy. It does not matter if you fly to LAX or NYC, the number of miles is currently fixed. Under the new proposition, this will change. The cheaper flight (in this example: NYC) will see a slight reduction in the number of miles required, whilst LAX will see a slight increase in the number of miles required.

Furthermore, there will be a standard base level for the number of miles required per destination. As the standard revenue price increases, so does the number of award miles.

Change 4: status valid for 12 months (+ 3 months), personal membership year

FB will be moving away from membership year = calendar year (in case of upgrade of tier). Instead, FB will have an individual membership year. This means that after obtaining the higher tier, you will have 12 months to requalify. Benefit of this is that members are not bound by the calendar year (e.g. members who earn 20,000 level miles in a December of a given year and 20,000 level miles in January of the next year, do not have any benefit of their flights in case limited flights before/after).

I know some will feel that this is a significant downgrade compared to the current – at maximum – 27 months. Please note that based on FB information the majority of members (re)qualify in the last quarter of the year.

In addition, please note that for an Ivory member would like to go obtain Platinum in one year, as it will become more difficult, as (s)he will have to earn each threshold (so not 300 XP in the first year, but (100 + 180 + 300 = 580 XP). This is only applicable in the first year.

Change 5: changes to the co-branded American Express credit cards (FR/NL)

Currently you earn segments and level miles (on AF/KL purchases for Gold and Platinum card holders). This will change that you will receive additional XP when reaching your membership anniversary each year.
Print Wikipost

Upcoming changes to Flying Blue in 2018

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2018, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Mirk
From my understanding you have until 31st of March 2019 to accumulate the 180XP since the 1 year kicks on the 1st of April 2018.
Originally Posted by Solevita
I'm not sure it's been confirmed either way officially yet?
I though this had been adequately explained above....the lack of confirmation is simply because to even suggest that the year changes for everyone is completely inaccurate.

Think about it - if everyone started a brand new membership year on 1 April, that meant that everyone had only a 3-month year (Jan-March 2018) in which to qualify - which is unfair and makes no sense. At the end of the year, everyone's level segments and Level Miles are cleared to zero (except for those who benefit from a Level Miles rollover, but they will be a tiny fraction of the FB community).

But we know that they are not going to do this, because we already know that they are converting the Level Miles/Level Segments accumulated in Jan/Feb/March 2018 into XPs using the published ratios.

If they were then to also give everyone a brand new year starting on 1 April 2018, with a starting balance derived from the flying taken in Jan/Feb/Mar 2018, then that effectively means that everyone gets a one-off extended membership year of 15 months. That would be anomalous, and isn't going to happen (despite FB's "Generous by Nature" strapline).

The only people that will see their membership year change to 1 April are those who, thanks to the Level Miles/Segments to XP conversion, end up being promoted in status on 1 April 2018.

The vast majority of FB members will not receive a status upgrade on 1 April 2018 as a result of this conversion, so the majority of FB members will continue to see their membership year aligned exactly to the calendar year.

The only thing that can result in your membership year being changed is by going up in status. People whose status doesn't change (whether that means permanent Ivory, or managing to retain their existing status indefinitely) will continue to see their membership year aligned to the calendar year.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 4:27 pm

Programs: CX Gold
Originally Posted by irishguy28
I though this had been adequately explained above....the lack of confirmation is simply because to even suggest that the year changes for everyone is completely inaccurate.

Think about it - if everyone started a brand new membership year on 1 April, that meant that everyone had only a 3-month year (Jan-March 2018) in which to qualify - which is unfair and makes no sense. At the end of the year, everyone's level segments and Level Miles are cleared to zero (except for those who benefit from a Level Miles rollover, but they will be a tiny fraction of the FB community).

But we know that they are not going to do this, because we already know that they are converting the Level Miles/Level Segments accumulated in Jan/Feb/March 2018 into XPs using the published ratios.

If they were then to also give everyone a brand new year starting on 1 April 2018, with a starting balance derived from the flying taken in Jan/Feb/Mar 2018, then that effectively means that everyone gets a one-off extended membership year of 15 months. That would be anomalous, and isn't going to happen (despite FB's "Generous by Nature" strapline).

The only people that will see their membership year change to 1 April are those who, thanks to the Level Miles/Segments to XP conversion, end up being promoted in status on 1 April 2018.

The vast majority of FB members will not receive a status upgrade on 1 April 2018 as a result of this conversion, so the majority of FB members will continue to see their membership year aligned exactly to the calendar year.

The only thing that can result in your membership year being changed is by going up in status. People whose status doesn't change (whether that means permanent Ivory, or managing to retain their existing status indefinitely) will continue to see their membership year aligned to the calendar year.
Currently I will have 26 segments by the end of March, which will promote me into Gold status after the changeover. In this case, 180 XP points will be taken from my account, and my status year will reset on April 1st.

However, I guess you are saying that if I fly more to achieve 30 segments before April (which will promote me to Gold before the changeover), I get to keep all the XP points until the end of the year (or if I fly enough to turn into Platinum later in the year)?

There seems to be a huge difference between these two cases! Am I right?
Old Mar 21, 2018, 2:07 am

Programs: KL Plat
Originally Posted by lixiaojuventus
Currently I will have 26 segments by the end of March, which will promote me into Gold status after the changeover. In this case, 180 XP points will be taken from my account, and my status year will reset on April 1st.

However, I guess you are saying that if I fly more to achieve 30 segments before April (which will promote me to Gold before the changeover), I get to keep all the XP points until the end of the year (or if I fly enough to turn into Platinum later in the year)?

Yes, in your case if you fly 4 more segments in March and get Gold under old rules then those 4 segments would be worth a quite staggering 180 XP to you! Then you'd need only another 120 segments for Platinum, else have a 'free' extra year of gold.

Actually 2 years? Your 'old' Gold would be valid till March 2020. Then you have the 180 XP to go till March 2021 (December 2020 + 3 months grace?).

Without those 4 segments, you'd have Gold till March 2019 and a handful of XPs.

Hope I've not made any mistakes here, that's a pretty big difference!
Old Mar 21, 2018, 2:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lixiaojuventus

EDIT: Updated in view of later discoveries - FB are not currently using the traditional "all of the current year, all of the next year, and 3 months grace" status prolongation for status upgrades, no doubt in view of the imminent changeover to the much shorter status period.

Yes, there are massive implications for you - how long status lasts depending on which FB scheme you use to qualify. (Be warned that advancing quickly to Platinum will "delete" most of the arbitrage possibilities here).

Regardless of whether you want to just get Gold, or progress to Platinum, you would be advised to get the extra 4 segments before the end of March if at all possible.

Gold earned prior to 31 March 2018 will be valid until 31 March 2020 (that being: the rest of the current membership year; all of the next membership year; plus 3 months grace period at the end) only 31 March 2019 - which is exceptional and a previously undocumented change ; Gold earned on 1 April 2018 will be valid only until 1 July 2019. (that being: 12 months from the date the new status is earned; plus 3 months grace period)

However, if you go on then to earn Platinum in the new scheme - which should be relatively easy as you will get to keep those 180XP that otherwise will be taken from your account in future - the moment you earn Platinum under the new rules, you will drastically reduce your status period. Your Platinum would be valid for one year from the date you earn it, with a "grace" period of 3 months at the end. So, even if you earned it on the very last day of your membership year - 31 Dec 2018 - the platinum that replaces your Gold (good til 31/03/2020 when earned under the current rules) would last only til31/03/2019]

You should carefully consider whether it makes sense to go on to Platinum so "soon" as you would benefit from waiting until a subsequent year to advance in status.

In light of the above changes, it may be worthwhile for you to head/aim for Platinum given that you will be within 120 XP of it (assuming you get Gold before 31 March 2018)

Last edited by irishguy28; Mar 21, 2018 at 7:43 am
Old Mar 21, 2018, 2:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Then you'd need only another 120 segments for Platinum, else have a 'free' extra year of gold.

EDIT: changed in light of later discoveries regarding the status prolongation period

Beware! As specified above, the OP would be better off not to "run" for Platinum. Even with a soft-landing to Gold in the year after platinum, they end up no better/not much better than just qualifying for Gold IN THESE LAST FEW DAYS OF THE "OLD" PROGRAMME; so there appears little benefit for the OP to "rush" to Platinum.

Gold earned in March 2018 will be valid until 31/03/2020. Platinum earned via XPs after 1 April will only be valid for 15 months from the date achieved; assuming a soft-landing to Gold in the following year, that means they end up "losing" Gold in 27 months from the date Platinum is earned. That's not much better than just getting Gold now, if at all, particularly given that to get to that state requires the accumulation of another 120 XPs. (if it was me, I would keep flying, as the surplus will roll over, but would probably ensure that I didn't earn Platinum just yet. Of course, each member should be engaged with their flying patterns and use the system to their best advantage).

And getting to Gold is probably enough for most people. Regardless of whether you have Gold, or have Platinum, your targets are the same - 180XP in a membership year for Gold, 300XP in a membership year for Platinum. By getting to Gold, you are past the step of having to first pass through the lower tiers; Gold is where you should be if you want an ongoing "easy" qualification/re-qualification track. [Put another way: by maintaining at least Gold status, you have a target of 300XP each membership year going forward to reach Platinum. As long as you never drop below 180XP, you never drop below Gold, and therefore will not have to first re-negotiate the step of getting back to Gold, which then instantly robs you of those 180XP and resets your year]

Last edited by irishguy28; Mar 21, 2018 at 7:44 am
Old Mar 21, 2018, 6:20 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Gold earned in March 2018 will be valid until 31/03/2020. Platinum earned via XPs after 1 April will only be valid for 15 months from the date achieved; assuming a soft-landing to Gold in the following year, that means they end up "losing" Gold in 27 months from the date Platinum is earned. That's not much better than just getting Gold now, if at all, particularly given that to get to that state requires the accumulation of another 120 XPs. (if it was me, I would keep flying, as the surplus will roll over, but would probably ensure that I didn't earn Platinum just yet. Of course, each member should be engaged with their flying patterns and use the system to their best advantage).
I'm not sure about that. My virtual card says March 2019 and so does the FB website (physical card still on the way). It looks like they cut the year for new status this year in preparation for XP calculation which will always give at least +1 year.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
I'm not sure about that. My virtual card says March 2019 and so does the FB website (physical card still on the way). It looks like they cut the year for new status this year in preparation for XP calculation which will always give at least +1 year.
Have you acquired a new status due to your activities in 2018?

Concerto got to Gold in the last few days ( in the mileage running thread), so would be a good candidate to ask what their virtual card shows as expiry date.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 6:31 am

Yes, I was Ivory before and got to 15 segments about a week ago.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 7:21 am

Yes, I was Ivory before and got to 15 segments about a week ago.
In that case you should have good grounds to comoplain to FB about that, *nothing* should change till the 1 April.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ah! Good catch. I recently went up to Silver but have not yet received my new physical card and had not bothered to check the digital card. But, indeed, they are not following existing requalification rules.
Attached Images  
Old Mar 21, 2018, 7:49 am

In that case you should have good grounds to comoplain to FB about that, *nothing* should change till the 1 April.
I probably would if I had Gold, but don't find it worth the trouble with Silver as I plan to advance to Gold within a couple of months anyway.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 9:33 am

Just as a further data-point — I’ve already re-qualified Plat on March 20th (hectic long-haul activity this year!) and noticed the 03/19’s expiry date on my card. I shall drop them an e-mail and see what’s going on (though I suspect they’ll not have a clue...).

G
Old Mar 21, 2018, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
Just as a further data-point, I’ve already re-qualified Plat on March 20th (hectic long-haul activity this year!) and noticed the 03/19’s expiry date on my card. I’ll drop them an e-mail.

G
Very sneaky of FB then it seems. Although in reality you're in the same position.

You should have Plat till 31 March 2020 under the current rules.

However 31 Dec 2018 / 31 March 2019 they'll be looking to deduct 300 XP from you, which you've earned already, thus taking you to 31 March 2020.

It's one way for them to stop people double dipping at the conversion
Old Mar 21, 2018, 9:48 am

Programs: FB platinum, M&S elite+, M&B gold
Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
Just as a further data-point — I’ve already re-qualified Plat on March 20th (hectic long-haul activity this year!) and noticed the 03/19’s expiry date on my card. I shall drop them an e-mail and see what’s going on (though I suspect they’ll not have a clue...).

G
Same for me. However if you qualified (or requalified) in 2018 before April 1st, the conversion to XPs will always give you more than the necessary XPs to grant you the status for 2019 + 3 months (with XPs deduction on Dec 31st 2018). I wouldn't worry.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 9:49 am

Very sneaky of FB then it seems. Although in reality you're in the same position.

You should have Plat till 31 March 2020 under the current rules.

However 31 Dec 2018 / 31 March 2019 they'll be looking to deduct 300 XP from you, which you've earned already, thus taking you to 31 March 2020.

It's one way for them to stop people double dipping at the conversion
Thanks — we shall watch this space then!

G

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.