Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

New policy for paid and miles upgrades (AF/KL) - sept 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New policy for paid and miles upgrades (AF/KL) - sept 2017

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2019, 9:10 pm

Online check-in HND-CDG Premium Economy -> Business 350 euro. Took it as it is quite a long flight.

yeaterday evening J was full but due to last minut schedule change, the offer popped up this morning
glennhaak likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by Kaede
Online check-in HND-CDG Premium Economy -> Business 350 euro. Took it as it is quite a long flight.

yeaterday evening J was full but due to last minut schedule change, the offer popped up this morning
Great offer, probably once in a lifetime
glennhaak likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 10:21 am

Programs: FB Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite
AMS-ATL 380€ Y to J - accepted (mid AUG 18)
AMS-SFO 700€ Y to J - declined (Oct 18, Delta stock basic)
SFO-AMS 420€ Y to J - accepted (Oct 18, Delta stock basic) - btw am I the only one who gets miles as booked + miles for J + bonus? No XP tho.

and yesterday

VIE-CDG 290€ Y to J - declined (J 2 empty, Y 3 empty)
CDG-MXP 290€ Y to J - declined (J 1 empty, Y 6 empty)
Old Feb 19, 2019, 5:22 am

Tomorrow
BLL-CDG: Y to J € 249 or 22.300 miles on board E190 aircraft. Thanks but no thanks.
CDG-AMS: Y+ to J € 179 or 24.800 miles on board B738 aircraft. Thanks but no thanks.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by 747jetter
AMS-ATL 380€ Y to J - accepted (mid AUG 18)
AMS-SFO 700€ Y to J - declined (Oct 18, Delta stock basic)
SFO-AMS 420€ Y to J - accepted (Oct 18, Delta stock basic) - btw am I the only one who gets miles as booked + miles for J + bonus? No XP tho.
I don't know but you seem to be a lucky one, not only based on the miles you're getting but based on the prices you are getting! Those are really good ones. Out of curiosity, do you put your flying blue number at booking time or at check in ? It's strange that despite accepting offers you're still getting such great deals.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 12:27 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Klems
I don't know but you seem to be a lucky one, not only based on the miles you're getting but based on the prices you are getting! Those are really good ones. Out of curiosity, do you put your flying blue number at booking time or at check in ? It's strange that despite accepting offers you're still getting such great deals.
Haha yes the miles are great. Indeed, the prices are good. A friend of mine flies regularly to Canada even when the cabins are empty he gets prices around 800€ for upgrade. Hoping for scoring JFK-AMS cheaply too

Old Feb 21, 2019, 1:59 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum; Hilton Gold
These days I book an itinerary that consists of 4 KL flights via DL (and DL coded) just to get more miles, lol.
glennhaak likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 4:48 am

Programs: TK Elite, FB Gold
Originally Posted by Sjondorn
These days I book an itinerary that consists of 4 KL flights via DL (and DL coded) just to get more miles, lol.
Can you do that even if a DL flight is not involved? Had no idea.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 7:28 am

Programs: FB Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hotels.com Silver,
Originally Posted by Sjondorn
Just so I understand it better, even while being Platinum and having a gold AF/KLM AMEX card my economy flight lets say Amsterdam to Tampa via ATL would yield the same XP but more miles if booked on Delta website?
Old Feb 21, 2019, 9:28 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum | Flying Blue Petroleum | Hilton Gold | Marriott Gold | Shangri-La Jade
Originally Posted by DukeOfSilesia
Just so I understand it better, even while being Platinum and having a gold AF/KLM AMEX card my economy flight lets say Amsterdam to Tampa via ATL would yield the same XP but more miles if booked on Delta website?
Yes, when on DL numbers

Last edited by glennhaak; Feb 21, 2019 at 11:36 am
Old Feb 21, 2019, 9:37 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
and as its operated by DL the amount of miles you will receive depends on the booking code and distance
Old Feb 21, 2019, 12:27 pm

Programs: TK Elite, FB Gold
Originally Posted by B0gdan
Can you do that even if a DL flight is not involved? Had no idea.
I'll answer myself. I can't look for intra-European flights on the DL website. So curious how anyone managed to do so.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 12:46 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum; Hilton Gold
It works for TATL flights (SFO-AMS-PRG). There's in general more freedom with travel agents and the other way too (book KL coded flights on 006 stock and vice versa). For a full flex J recently I had all the flights KL coded. For a discounted J (Z fare class) I booked the flights as DL coded via DL website.
wuzziduzziman likes this.

Last edited by Sjondorn; Feb 21, 2019 at 1:00 pm
Old Feb 22, 2019, 2:43 am

Programs: FB Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hotels.com Silver,
Originally Posted by glennhaak
Yes, when on DL numbers
Thanks - I have a trip in May to US so will do it that way then. I thought that KLM would yield more for the economy if also including the extra points from their credit card, so it is very good to know this..
Old Feb 22, 2019, 10:54 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum | Flying Blue Petroleum | Hilton Gold | Marriott Gold | Shangri-La Jade
Thanks - I have a trip in May to US so will do it that way then. I thought that KLM would yield more for the economy if also including the extra points from their credit card, so it is very good to know this..
To be absolutely certain it's very easy to do the math before you book.
  1. Check the basefare on KL numbers and multiply that by 8 (assuming your status is still platinum) and add the number of miles you'd get from paying with your co-branded Flying Blue American Express.
  2. Check the farebucket of the ticket on DL numbers, enter your route on gcmap.com to find out the exact mileage and multiply that by the corresponding percentage that the specific farebucket will give you, add in the miles from your creditcard (difference should be minimal, 2x on AF/KL spend and 1.5x on the rest if you have an FB Amex Platinum).
  3. Compare the two

Beware that if you book "basic economy" on DL, you will not have seat selection, if you book the same fare on KL numbers, it will book in V instead of E so you'll have seat selection.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.