Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

New policy for paid and miles upgrades (AF/KL) - sept 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New policy for paid and miles upgrades (AF/KL) - sept 2017

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2021, 4:03 pm

Programs: tk gold, lh ftl, ab gold
Anyone has had the experience of upgrading an award C ticket to La Premiere. With cash, of course.
Old May 22, 2021, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by igor82j
Anyone has had the experience of upgrading an award C ticket to La Premiere. With cash, of course.
at OLCI or at the airport only.
Old May 22, 2021, 6:52 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
CDG-MEX C to P
1250€ or 157.500 miles.
Declined
Ticket was bought 11 months ago and it was quite cheap for Europe-Mex in Biz.
Old May 22, 2021, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by more4less
CDG-MEX C to P
1250€ or 157.500 miles.
Declined
Ticket was bought 11 months ago and it was quite cheap for Europe-Mex in Biz.
1250 euros was actually a pretty good price!
Old May 22, 2021, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge Vintage®) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by Klems
Agree.
Old May 22, 2021, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Klems
Compared to what it could be/typically is, no doubt. Whether it is value for money, I think that opinions will legitimately vary on that.

Ultimately, if your annual income is in seven figures or more (in standard international currencies ), then you probably don't care and think it is excellent value.

If your annual income is in five figures (if it is in four figures or less, you are probably not reading this board anyway), it probably is not particularly good value. You could probably re-create the lounge experience on the ground by a fraction of the cost, and you would probably get a much nicer experience that the lounge+on board F experience by saving on flight costs and applying them on the ground.

It is in the six figures annual income that it makes a difference. On the one hand, going for this can give you the feeling that you earn more than you actually do and the benefit in terms of ego flattering is quite good. OTOH, if you are in the frame of mind that is still harking back to 5 figure salary mentality, you will quickly reallse that what the value you get out of it is nowhere near what you are actually charged.

Ultimately, it boils down to the same thing: if you have to ask yourself whether it is value for money, then the answer is probably that it is not. If you earn enough for it to be a silly question (or for you to fool yourself that it is a silly question), then the question does not even arise in the first place.
johan rebel, af fp, vinnyc and 6 others like this.
Old May 26, 2021, 3:11 am

Programs: employee monitoring
Originally Posted by KL803
Yes it is indeed weird. I‘ve sent a DM via Social Media to AF, wondering what their reply will be. An interesting thing: before T-56 many seats in Y were available, but at the time I logged in, a lot have been taken. Currently I have 33H with G empty, E & F taken, Fingers crossed that either mysteriously an upgrade will be available or at least 33G remains empty 😃.
Is this effective immediately (September 20)? I might be encounter this new policy for my upcoming SIN-CDG flight (October 2), currently booked in Y.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
My purgatory period is continuing with insane prices for upgrading medium-haul (ATH-CDG) : I emailed the Ulti TA about 12hrs before OLCI opens and they quoted me €251, which I declined. And at OLCI, it was…379€
fifty_two, Digicola and offvoice like this.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 9:21 am

Programs: Flying Blue
Today at OLCI :
CDG-BOD Y to J
39€
Accepted ! Bought the ticket few weeks ago for less than 80€ so still quite a good ROI
Old Jul 1, 2021, 4:34 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
prices at OLCI from Y

waw-ams = 79€
ams-cdg = 229€
cdg-ptp = 500€ to C and 1100€ to J
Old Jul 1, 2021, 7:58 am

Programs: BA BAEC Gold (oW Emerald), AF/KLM FB Plat (ST E+), *Alliance Nada
Originally Posted by NickB
Ultimately, it boils down to the same thing: if you have to ask yourself whether it is value for money, then the answer is probably that it is not.

Totally out if topic, but I apply the very same principle to any type of food I am tempted to eat, as part of my diet to be more healthy.

If I have to ask myself whether or not I can eat this 0-trans fat gluten free 100% vegan Nutella-filled donut, the answer is probably not.
NickB likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by fifty_two
prices at OLCI from Y

waw-ams = 79€
ams-cdg = 229€
cdg-ptp = 500€ to C and 1100€ to J
W rather than C ?
fifty_two likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 2:59 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Goldorak
W rather than C ?
yes sorry my mistake
Old Jul 8, 2021, 3:02 am
Accor Contributor Badge

prices at OLCI from Y

ptp-cdg = 199€ to W and 479€ to J . Got upgraded to W without realizing it
cdg-waw = J was already full (AF switched from a32x to using e17x on this route)
Old Jul 11, 2021, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by Goldorak
My purgatory period is continuing with insane prices for upgrading medium-haul (ATH-CDG) : I emailed the Ulti TA about 12hrs before OLCI opens and they quoted me €251, which I declined. And at OLCI, it was…379€
and another one : €359 for Italy-CDG
I called the Ulti TA yesterday for another question, and I told her about this and that it was totally ridiculous to propose me those fares for many months now. She said she would report the problem. I am sure she will but I am also sure that it will go in the abyss of AF internal structures where a very significant part of the workforce has left the company or is about to leave and the rest does not really care about such a minor problem

Last edited by Goldorak; Jul 11, 2021 at 4:44 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.