FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-klm-other-partners-flying-blue-594/)
-   -   New policy for paid and miles upgrades (AF/KL) - sept 2017 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-klm-other-partners-flying-blue/1867992-new-policy-paid-miles-upgrades-af-kl-sept-2017-a.html)

KL803 Sep 30, 2017 7:57 pm

According to AF's Twitter reply, the problem are my connecting flights. My whole itinerary is SIN-CDG-AMS-ZRH, so apparently by clicking the upgrade link in the MMB it would upgrade the whole itinerary.

We do have some seats, but to upgrade only SIN to CDG you will need to do the upgrade when check-in online. (...) At the moment we would need to quote the upgrade of all the flights.
T-30 it is then... wait and see :D

Ditto Oct 1, 2017 2:53 am

Originally Posted by KL803 (Post 28878949)
According to AF's Twitter reply, the problem are my connecting flights. My whole itinerary is SIN-CDG-AMS-ZRH, so apparently by clicking the upgrade link in the MMB it would upgrade the whole itinerary.

That was not a problem in the past, several yeara ago I had no troubles upgrading only the CDG-CPT segment of an AMS-CDG-CPT itinerary.
But you will have to search EF for the whole flight to see correct availability...

KLflyerRalph Oct 1, 2017 8:10 am

So for a upgrade using zero cash but points, it is possible to have a lower amount using this 'offer' than you would normally have through FB for an award upgrade?

KL803 Oct 1, 2017 8:46 am

Originally Posted by KL803 (Post 28878949)
T-30 it is then... wait and see :D

CHF 331.00 for Y to W (12 available, at this hour 10 available), I didn't bite. No offer on mileage upgrade at all. Seatmap is filling up, but 33G besides me still unoccupied. BTW, no boarding pass could be issued and for my last leg (AMS-ZRH) I'm not even checked in. :confused:

aad665 Oct 3, 2017 1:50 am

Hi all,

Thanks all for the good info. Great job here.

So, I am looking at the new policy for my upcoming flights (MRU-RUN-ORY//CDG-TXL) departing Oct 5th. I am looking to upgrade AF0671 from W to J. We are now T-56 and the Twitter team is quoting 914.14eur + penalty 150 euro +fee 15eur. In MMB, I don't see any option to upgrade with cash.

It seems obvious it is a full fare upgrade and not the new policy?

what is the availability on Oct 05, AF 0671?

Thanks all,

aad665

Ditto Oct 3, 2017 1:56 am

Originally Posted by aad665 (Post 28887647)
Hi all,

So, I am looking at the new policy for my upcoming flights (MRU-RUN-ORY//CDG-TXL) departing Oct 5th. I am looking to upgrade AF0671 from W to J. We are now T-56 and the Twitter team is quoting 914.14eur + penalty 150 euro +fee 15eur. In MMB, I don't see any option to upgrade with cash.

Thanks all,

aad665

With France as POS, availability is J1...

irishguy28 Oct 3, 2017 2:04 am

We are now T-56 and the Twitter team is quoting 914.14eur + penalty 150 euro +fee 15eur. In MMB, I don't see any option to upgrade with cash.

If you don't see cash there....please send as much of that not-cash my way as possible.

Thank you :D:D:D:D

KL803 Oct 3, 2017 3:48 am

Originally Posted by KL803 (Post 28880372)
CHF 331.00 for Y to W (12 available, at this hour 10 available), I didn't bite. No offer on mileage upgrade at all. Seatmap is filling up, but 33G besides me still unoccupied. BTW, no boarding pass could be issued and for my last leg (AMS-ZRH) I'm not even checked in. :confused:

Flight 257 ended up completely full. For this specific trip I encountered nothing new regarding upgrade policy. Only cash offer for Y to W, no use of miles offered.

mfkne Oct 6, 2017 10:15 am

As another data point: GRU-AMS tomorrow, EF showed 3 available in C. Upgrade offered for cash only at check-in for 454 EUR (original booking class was H). I took it.

aad665 Oct 7, 2017 8:01 am

Hi all,

Thanks all,

aad665

So, post flight debriefing.

Nothing was available at OLCI. At RUN, I asked the ticket agent, J4 and W3 were available for purchase. The new system was in place, so the agent (very embarrassed) read me the new 5 tiers price:

1,250euro - 0 mile
...-...
0 euro - 180,000miles.

A total non-sense, as it is more expensive than simply upgrading the fare (914eur) and 180.000 miles for upgrade, they must be smoking good weed at AF HQ. Any, I declined. in July, it was 359euro from W to J.

30 minutes before doors closing, J3 and W3 were still available and Y was totally empty.

By AF only them knows the magical system " friend and family of the crew", J and W was totally full right after boarding and doors closed. only AF has such a efficient "Friend and family" system. No need for a 5 tiers system if your part of the family and friends, it cost a small box of chocolates only. Better deal.

Ditto Oct 7, 2017 8:06 am

Originally Posted by aad665 (Post 28903907)
30 minutes before doors closing, J3 and W3 were still available and Y was totally empty.

By AF only them knows the magical system " friend and family of the crew", J and W was totally full right after boarding and doors closed. only AF has such a efficient "Friend and family" system. No need for a 5 tiers system if your part of the family and friends, it cost a small box of chocolates only. Better deal.

But how do you know how many tickets they actually sold to begin with?
Having J3 might just mean they would be happy to sell 3 full-fare business class tickets, and if everyone shows up downgrade and pay compensation for 3 passengers on a cheaper fare.

Goldorak Oct 7, 2017 3:52 pm

1 Attachment(s)

So, post flight debriefing.

Nothing was available at OLCI. At RUN, I asked the ticket agent, J4 and W3 were available for purchase. The new system was in place, so the agent (very embarrassed) read me the new 5 tiers price:

1,250euro - 0 mile
...-...
0 euro - 180,000miles.

A total non-sense, as it is more expensive than simply upgrading the fare (914eur) and 180.000 miles for upgrade, they must be smoking good weed at AF HQ. Any, I declined. in July, it was 359euro from W to J.

Just to add another data point, and I agree this is complete non sense. I was proposed at OLCI for JFK-CDG a paid upgrade from Y to J at....€1719/pax :eek: :eek: :o
I for a second thought it was for my entire party (3 pax on same PNR), but no it is clearly precised per pax !!! And the flight is showing J9 on expertflyer.
OK, we are on a discounted Y tickets (V fare), but still....
I am sure we never had that kind of prices reported in the other thread about AF paid upgrades.
crazy, especially thinking that it’s an A380 and so you have 6/10 chances to have a NEV3 seat :mad:

Sjondorn Oct 7, 2017 4:36 pm

Sounds like a full price rather than discounted upgrade. But speaking of 180000 miles, that's more than classic award for a full R/T (125000 - 150000 miles).

bodory Oct 7, 2017 11:37 pm

1,250euro - 0 mile
...-...
0 euro - 180,000miles.

:D:D:D

Probably the "friends & family + pilot's spouse + retired AF staff" union decided for these new fares.

What was you original booking class by the way?

nldogbert Oct 8, 2017 3:06 pm

Another datapoint to add.
@ATL, I have a Prem Eco ticket (in S) which is already expensive to begin with, and they have implemented the new system here. Crazily, they want close to 600 Euro in cash, or some other assortment of money+miles combination and pure miles will cost 52000+

I have no idea what game AF or Flying Blue is trying to play, but with this way forward I don't think that these cabins will fill up.
What is totally crazy is the new system does not take into account anymore which fare class you have purchased - so even if I had a W (full flex ticket), this would still have the same amount....which is totally crazy.

Cheers!

btw: the AF/KLM supervisor here (lady) is horribly useless and I have no idea why there is no possibility for them to access the AF system here in ATL. Giving me so much headache due to FFP issues....