Search

Told to "go to airport" to book award ticket

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2019, 8:55 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by SDQBound
oddly enough I tried to book a more complex ticket and it allowed me to go all the way to the payment page.
ok so it was because of your request itself

1 hour hold on English line.... 45 minute hold on the French line... Zero hold time on the Spanish line ..
muy bien , speaking spanish saved your time !

Lesson learned... only transfer AMEX points when absolutely necessary, and if I ever do it again, I will make sure I call ahead (Seems that they prefer this method).
thats a good advice for future threads. We should create a FAQ about this topic as many many people from USA get thousands of miles by buying candies and are surprised when problems arise
Old Sep 3, 2019, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Because in almost all reported cases, the transaction looks like it could be in breach of 1.4.7 of the T&Cs.
People knowingly attempting to breach the rule will simply give up and not attend. Of course, some who are not breaching the rule will also give up; but that's why FB gives the benefit of the doubt to people who have a "history" of flying with that account.

All others can be spoken to in person and their circumstances more closely looked into.
I disagree, the "potential fraud" is not about resale, etc, because I was asked to come to the airport when trying to book at ticket for myself using my own account which was open for many years and used many times. In my case I was told it is because I wanted to fly within 48 hours from Russia and they have alot of fraud from Russia. (Which still doesnt make sense if I'm issuing a ticket in my own name and paying taxes/fees with the card stored in my account which was used many times already...)
Old Sep 3, 2019, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by lewinr
I disagree, the "potential fraud" is not about resale, etc,
In that case all previous reports failed to mention that they had booked travel to Russia for themselves at short notice
Old Sep 3, 2019, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Called FB again:
1 hour hold on English line.... 45 minute hold on the French line... Zero hold time on the Spanish line .
They wanted to double check that this ticket was authorized by me, after providing all the necessary information and satisfying their inquiries, I was able to book the ticket.

Lesson learned... only transfer AMEX points when absolutely necessary, and if I ever do it again, I will make sure I call ahead (Seems that they prefer this method).
I am glad you sorted this out ^
SDQBound likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by irishguy28
In that case all previous reports failed to mention that they had booked travel to Russia for themselves at short notice
Obviously this is not only about Russia.

They told me: "We dont allow award travel to/from a list of countries on short notice without going to the airport in person to show your ID. Russia is in the list of countries."
Old Sep 5, 2019, 12:43 am

Originally Posted by lewinr
Obviously this is not only about Russia.

They told me: "We dont allow award travel to/from a list of countries on short notice without going to the airport in person to show your ID. Russia is in the list of countries."
Which makes no sense. Why would a scammer book a ticket for the passenger whose account it is?
Old Sep 7, 2019, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by s0ssos
Which makes no sense. Why would a scammer book a ticket for the passenger whose account it is?
That is exactly what I asked/told them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.