Wiki Posts
Search

Told to "go to airport" to book award ticket

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2017, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
That sounds pretty hapless? I've had one since 1999 and never (touch wood) experienced anything like that.

G
It's probably just a matter of time.

(Or the transactions put through were so small you missed them!!)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ard-fraud.html
https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...pot/102425582/
https://www.businessinsider.nl/kmart...onal=true&r=US
https://www.eater.com/2017/4/26/1543...h-credit-cards
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/holi...hack-1.4079202

The infuriating this is that Amex often lock me out of actual transactions because they deem them suspicious. It was for this reason that I was unable to buy tickets for the KLM MD11 farewell flights! By the time you make contact and assure them of the legitimacy of the tranasaction, the seats were, of course, gone.

Last edited by irishguy28; Aug 9, 2017 at 6:44 am
Old Aug 9, 2017, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
(Or the transactions put through were so small you missed them!!)
Admittedly and as careless as it sounds, I've never really run through statements/transactions, unless I make a big purchase whilst abroad and want to double check the exchange rate applied, so you might be right actually.

G
Old Aug 9, 2017, 7:27 am

The infuriating this is that Amex often lock me out of actual transactions because they deem them suspicious. It was for this reason that I was unable to buy tickets for the KLM MD11 farewell flights! By the time you make contact and assure them of the legitimacy of the tranasaction, the seats were, of course, gone.
They got better at this, now you get an e-mail and you can immediately approve the "fraudalant" transaction, and then retry on the merchant website.
I never had issues with KLM website, they have the 'safekey' implemented but I always get from Amex that they've checked and there is not even a need to enter my password...
Old Aug 9, 2017, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ditto
They got better at this, now you get an e-mail and you can immediately approve the "fraudalant" transaction, and then retry on the merchant website.
True, or rather you are presented with a challenge/Safekey.

But back in the "old days" (only a few years ago), the transaction would just fail with a request to contact Amex.

I never had issues with KLM website, they have the 'safekey' implemented but I always get from Amex that they've checked and there is not even a need to enter my password...
My issue with KLM wasn't with the KLM website, per se, but was with an attempted purchase via the (now defunct) https://md11farewellflight.klm.com/ microsite.

Old Aug 9, 2017, 8:47 am

True, or rather you are presented with a challenge/Safekey.
But back in the "old days" (only a few years ago), the transaction would just fail with a request to contact Amex.
I remember that , in 2014 I had this problem buying from Apple in the US (one could understand why they would tag a 2000$ purchase in a an online US shop for an NL resident as bogus) , luckily apple website had some sort of a "retry transaction" button I could use after talking to Amex

FWIW, I was never asked to type in anything for this Safekey, on any website whatsoever (unlike Mastercard SecureCode where I had to generate a password many times), all those "3-D Secure" authentications requires the merchant to actually implement it in their website, and many just don't care to do so.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FWIW, I was never asked to type in anything for this Safekey, on any website whatsoever (unlike Mastercard SecureCode where I had to generate a password many times), all those "3-D Secure" authentications requires the merchant to actually implement it in their website, and many just don't care to do so.
When it first came out, I always had to type a password or interact in someway with the Safekey pop-up box; lately, in the payment process, it pops up, but seems to decide almost immediately that it is satisfied without any input from me, and return me back to the merchant for confirmation of the purchase.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 9:09 am

Programs: FB platinum
I've had to type on a few occasions a one-time password received by email and SMS when Amex SafeKey window appeared, although most of the time it indeed goes straight through
Old Aug 9, 2017, 10:36 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
It is not unheard of from airlines to ask to present the card at the airport at the day of travel for paid ticket.
Even if the CC company authorized the payment, the owner of the card can still claim it is a fraudulent transaction even several months later and issue a chargeback.
You have a point. I had forgotten this stupid habit some airlines have.

If the traveller shows up at check in, how can he claim the transaction was fraudulent?

The only case where verification can be understood is if the ticket was bought shortly before the flight and the traveller is not the card holder.

They however ask for the CC at check in (or have some procedure for verification), not refuse the transaction.

For what is is worth, neither AF nor KL are generally known to refuse CC payments especially if the traveller is the CC holder!
Old Aug 9, 2017, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by carnarvon
For what is is worth, neither AF nor KL are generally known to refuse CC payments especially if the traveller is the CC holder!
Which is why there may be more to this story than what we have been told, or what the OP knows.

(Just because the OP was told it was to prevent credit card fraud does not mean that this is the reason they were required to visit an airport ticketing office. We know that this is standard practice for FB redemptions that FB, for whatever reason, deem to be suspect)
Old Aug 14, 2017, 2:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Which is why there may be more to this story than what we have been told, or what the OP knows.

(Just because the OP was told it was to prevent credit card fraud does not mean that this is the reason they were required to visit an airport ticketing office. We know that this is standard practice for FB redemptions that FB, for whatever reason, deem to be suspect)
Agreed
Old Sep 17, 2017, 2:59 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan
I have been booking a lot of award travel with Flying Blue lately, for a lot of different folks, and haven't been asked to ticket at the airport.

A typical scenario will be to open a new Flying Blue account, hook it up to a Chase, Amex or Citi account, and transfer in the points. Then I'll try to book the award and it'll fail with a technical error. However, if I call in, I have been successful. Through trial and error, this seems to be the "allowed" criteria for phone booking:

- I always call immediately after transferring in the points, where they show available on the Web site but the Web site fails to book.
- I reference that there is a "technical error" message on the Web site to get the phone booking fee waived.
- The trip is more than 7 days in advance. One agent flat-out told me that it wasn't possible to book a less than 7 day advance purchase over the phone "when there is a technical error." I didn't pursue the matter further because I hadn't done a points transfer first, and booked through Delta instead (even though it cost slightly more points).
- The Flying Blue account holder is traveling on the itinerary (it's OK to book for more than one person, but the Flying Blue account holder has to be one of them).
- The payment card used for taxes/fees is in the name of the Flying Blue account holder. Not OK to use a company card, spouse's card, etc.

So far, so good. Of course, Flying Blue is more art than science, but I'm not afraid of using the program given the above criteria.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 12:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TProphet
A typical scenario will be to open a new Flying Blue account, hook it up to a Chase, Amex or Citi account, and transfer in the points. Then I'll try to book the award and it'll fail with a technical error.
Why, typically, do you open a new account each time?
Old Dec 12, 2018, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by TProphet
I have been booking a lot of award travel with Flying Blue lately, for a lot of different folks, and haven't been asked to ticket at the airport.

A typical scenario will be to open a new Flying Blue account, hook it up to a Chase, Amex or Citi account, and transfer in the points. Then I'll try to book the award and it'll fail with a technical error. However, if I call in, I have been successful. Through trial and error, this seems to be the "allowed" criteria for phone booking:

- I always call immediately after transferring in the points, where they show available on the Web site but the Web site fails to book.
- I reference that there is a "technical error" message on the Web site to get the phone booking fee waived.
- The trip is more than 7 days in advance. One agent flat-out told me that it wasn't possible to book a less than 7 day advance purchase over the phone "when there is a technical error." I didn't pursue the matter further because I hadn't done a points transfer first, and booked through Delta instead (even though it cost slightly more points).
- The Flying Blue account holder is traveling on the itinerary (it's OK to book for more than one person, but the Flying Blue account holder has to be one of them).
- The payment card used for taxes/fees is in the name of the Flying Blue account holder. Not OK to use a company card, spouse's card, etc.

So far, so good. Of course, Flying Blue is more art than science, but I'm not afraid of using the program given the above criteria.
Is there still an issue ticketing from a new Flying Blue account? This last post is more than a year old. Should I expect to have to call to ticket or even visit the airport to ticket?

I have a brand new Flying Blue account, because my old one was deleted probably due to inactivity. I would like to transfer Chase UR and ticket a one way for 2 passengers including myself, using my own credit card. It's actually a DL flight, but oddly the DL site doesn't price it right. It shows up on the AF and AZ sites, along with ExpertFlyer. I don't want my miles to get stuck with AF and be unable to ticket anything. Thanks.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 1:48 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum | Flying Blue Petroleum | Hilton Gold | Marriott Gold | Shangri-La Jade
Originally Posted by rrgg
Is there still an issue ticketing from a new Flying Blue account? This last post is more than a year old. Should I expect to have to call to ticket or even visit the airport to ticket?

I have a brand new Flying Blue account, because my old one was deleted probably due to inactivity. I would like to transfer Chase UR and ticket a one way for 2 passengers including myself, using my own credit card. It's actually a DL flight, but oddly the DL site doesn't price it right. It shows up on the AF and AZ sites, along with ExpertFlyer. I don't want my miles to get stuck with AF and be unable to ticket anything. Thanks.
Call first, there have been multiple reports of people opening a new flying blue account, and having it closed/frozen when they immediately transfer points into the new account.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 7:28 am

When you say, "call first," I think you mean to call before transferring my points and they will somehow validate the flying blue account. Or do you mean something else, such as to ticket by phone? Thank you.
canadavid and glennhaak like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.