Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Told to "go to airport" to book award ticket

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2018, 2:17 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum | Flying Blue Petroleum | Hilton Gold | Marriott Gold | Shangri-La Jade
Originally Posted by rrgg
When you say, "call first," I think you mean to call before transferring my points and they will somehow validate the flying blue account. Or do you mean something else, such as to ticket by phone? Thank you.
Yes, I would call them to make sure they know upfront what's going on because you've read stories of accounts being frozen/closed after transferring in points to a newly opened account.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 5:54 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by glennhaak
Call first, there have been multiple reports of people opening a new flying blue account, and having it closed/frozen when they immediately transfer points into the new account.
I would say that mostly the people abusing the system are aware of these kind of limitations; hence calling them and telling them you are aware of these limitations implies that you are not a regular customer.

Could swing both ways, personally I don't think I'd call beforehand.
brunos and irishguy28 like this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 8:15 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by Xandrios
I would say that mostly the people abusing the system are aware of these kind of limitations; hence calling them and telling them you are aware of these limitations implies that you are not a regular customer.(...).
Well, he is certainly not a regular FB customer, as he never credits anything to his FB account, to the point it got closed.

I think the blocking of awards is not done manually, but automatically based on several factors, some unknown to us. Whether calling could trigger a freezing of the miles or prevent a locking is left to everyone's betting on one or the other....
Old Dec 14, 2018, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Frankly, I don't see what "calling first" would achieve, except possibly adding another flag. The system automatically target some behavior and calling won't change the system.

1) Like all airlines, AF tries to prevent bartering miles.
2) AF has a distaste for people who never fly them and just open an account to transfer cc miles and get an award.
Hence they set up many hoops to prevent it. The more it is advertised, the happier they are.
As soon as the booking involves a third party (another name) you are more likely to be targeted. That does not mean that a Mr and Mrs XX would not be allowed and the hoops might be minimal.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 6:58 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Reviving this thread.
I have not earned miles on FB in a year or so, since I moved from France and I earned FB miles mainly from short haul flights and AFKL Amex Card.

I am trying to book a ticket using my last few miles, and transferred 10K from AMEX to complete the amount of miles required. The reservation system tells me there's an error and I should contact customer service or try again later. I have redeemed miles multiple miles (account was created in 2014). Any chances I am running into the same "potential fraud" as the OP? If this is the case, what's the best solution?
Old Sep 3, 2019, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by SDQBound
Reviving this threadIf this is the case, what's the best solution?
Call FB ?
Old Sep 3, 2019, 1:13 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
Originally Posted by SDQBound
Reviving this thread.
. The reservation system tells me there's an error and I should contact customer service or try again later.
depends what you are trying to book . probably there is something unusual with your request
Old Sep 3, 2019, 1:22 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Flying Blue is a frequent flyer programme, and although FB makes no restrictions on the residence of its members, nor places any requirement to accrue a certain number of sectors on either AF or KL to obtain status, it doesn't seem *too* onerous an obligation to ask a frequent flyer to pop by an airport ticket desk every once in a while. If the alternative is making it so much easier for people to skim other people's FB accounts, then I am all for it.
Do you understand the word "although"? How many locations does AF/KL have in the USA, for example, where people may live?
So I'd presume you would say it wouldn't be too onerous for Garuda to ask people to stop by its offices to ticket for its frequent flier membership as well?
Old Sep 3, 2019, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by s0ssos
So I'd presume you would say it wouldn't be too onerous for Garuda to ask people to stop by its offices to ticket for its frequent flier membership as well?
In my case, no; there's one 32km away!

That said, I have never engaged in the type of activity that has ever alerted FB, or any other FB, to impose this restriction.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 1:47 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
In my case, no; there's one 32km away!

That said, I have never engaged in the type of activity that has ever alerted FB, or any other FB, to impose this restriction.
That's why I have never engaged in any points transfers to FB, after reading these. Even though my account is years old, it would be purely a transfer to book a flight. And too many hassles, so it doesn't seem to be worth it.
(now for Garuda I tried to transfer to take advantage of their deal but citi somehow said it didn't go through, so I was done with that)

What I don't understand is the thought process behind preventing people from making bookings with transferred points. They get paid for the points from Amex, or whoever. But it seems the bigger picture is this is taking away a paid ticket, as in the person buying it from the points broker is saving money. However, unlike credit card fraud (actually I'm not sure who eats the fraudulent charge, would have presumed credit card issuer but maybe not) the airline doesn't have to worry about a chargeback of the points, because they aren't "their points"-they are points transferred from Amex, who would have to worry about that.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by s0ssos
What I don't understand is the thought process behind preventing people from making bookings with transferred points.
Because in almost all reported cases, the transaction looks like it could be in breach of 1.4.7 of the T&Cs.
People knowingly attempting to breach the rule will simply give up and not attend. Of course, some who are not breaching the rule will also give up; but that's why FB gives the benefit of the doubt to people who have a "history" of flying with that account.

All others can be spoken to in person and their circumstances more closely looked into.
Attached Images  
Old Sep 3, 2019, 5:42 am

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Goldorak

Call FB ?
Calling FB resulted in a 1+ hour wait and at the end the call dropped. Second time call dropped after 15 min wait or so. Contacted AF via social media and was given the same telephone number I tried calling.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 5:46 am

Originally Posted by fifty_two
depends what you are trying to book . probably there is something unusual with your request
oddly enough I tried to book a more complex ticket and it allowed me to go all the way to the payment page. Both attempts were on DL flights, the one that is causing issues is a purely domestic nonstop one way (that we need to catch another AF flight already booked out of a different city) and the one that seems to go through is a one way, connecting Domestic to International.

Will try to call again later today but yesterday I wasted almost 2 hours with no answer.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 6:23 am

I had similar issue booking a GOL domestic flight, a short call to the plat line sorted it out (I had to pay the tax over the phone), they said their IT department is working on the issue...
Old Sep 3, 2019, 7:38 am

Called FB again:
1 hour hold on English line.... 45 minute hold on the French line... Zero hold time on the Spanish line .
They wanted to double check that this ticket was authorized by me, after providing all the necessary information and satisfying their inquiries, I was able to book the ticket.

Lesson learned... only transfer AMEX points when absolutely necessary, and if I ever do it again, I will make sure I call ahead (Seems that they prefer this method).
Goldorak and fifty_two like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.