Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

Programme update: Roll over of Level Miles above level threshold for Elite members

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Programme update: Roll over of Level Miles above level threshold for Elite members

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2015, 10:38 am

Programs: Many
You mean the following pattern?

2015 : 700,000 level miles -> 1st Platinum qualification with status valid until end of March 2017
2016 : 630,000 level miles from rollover -> 2nd Platinum qualification with status valid until end of March 2018
2017 : 560,000 level miles from rollover -> 3rd Platinum qualification with status valid until end of March 2019
2018 : 490,000 level miles from rollover -> 4th Platinum qualification with status valid until end of March 2020
2019 : 420,000 level miles from rollover -> 5th Platinum qualification with status valid until end of March 2021
2020 : 350,000 level miles from rollover -> 6th Platinum qualification with status valid until end of March 2022
2021 : 280,000 level miles from rollover -> 7th Platinum qualification with status valid until end of March 2023
2022 : 210,000 level miles from rollover -> 8th Platinum qualification with status valid until end of March 2024
2023 : 140,000 level miles from rollover -> 9th Platinum qualification with status valid until end of March 2025
2024 : 70,000 level miles from rollover -> 10th Platinum qualification
Old Mar 4, 2015, 1:16 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, IB, Miles and More, Delta
Talking

Originally Posted by bodory
You mean the following pattern?

2015 : 700,000 level miles -> 1st Platinum qualification with status valid until end of March 2017
2016 : 630,000 level miles from rollover -> 2nd Platinum qualification with status valid until end of March 2018
2017 : 560,000 level miles from rollover -> 3rd Platinum qualification with status valid until end of March 2019
2018 : 490,000 level miles from rollover -> 4th Platinum qualification with status valid until end of March 2020
2019 : 420,000 level miles from rollover -> 5th Platinum qualification with status valid until end of March 2021
2020 : 350,000 level miles from rollover -> 6th Platinum qualification with status valid until end of March 2022
2021 : 280,000 level miles from rollover -> 7th Platinum qualification with status valid until end of March 2023
2022 : 210,000 level miles from rollover -> 8th Platinum qualification with status valid until end of March 2024
2023 : 140,000 level miles from rollover -> 9th Platinum qualification with status valid until end of March 2025
2024 : 70,000 level miles from rollover -> 10th Platinum qualification
What a nice simulation
That's exactly what I had in mind.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 1:55 am

Programs: Many
I would say in theory you can succeed but I would personally not try to invest in such an unpredictable scenario.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 7:29 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
Originally Posted by bodory
I would say in theory you can succeed but I would personally not try to invest in such an unpredictable scenario.
It's why I'm virtual plat for life, I will receive my card in April 2017. Not that it matters, I will very likely make 70k qualifying miles additionally this year and again next year.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 1:52 pm

Programs: Flying blue
Originally Posted by orbitmic
I must admit I do not get the argument. I don't think that why I find the new system unfair in its implementation is all that obscure: basically, I find it unfair that somebody who qualifies for gold with 41,000 miles flown in the year (but with gold or silver the year before) will start the next year with a balance of +1000 but someone who qualifies for gold with 69,000 miles flown in the year (but with platinum the year before) will start the next year with a balance of 0. Surely if, as you say, we are talking of a 'frequent flyer' programme, then the more one flies the more one should be rewarded. By contrast, the rollover is seemingly designed as a 'flying more and more' programme which is quite a different spirit.
I've fallen foul of going from platinum to gold. On that year it was not quite enough to keep platinum, that year was 61k-ish, so wasn't too bother as I thought at least I'll get a 21k head start on the 40k level when I go to gold. Bit no, I got zero.

And here's where the unfair part is for those that cannot see it. If I was at gold level the year before, then I would get a 21k miles carried over. Because I was platinum, then I'm penalised and get zero miles.

You are worse off then the lower level for doing the same miles if you fail to keep your level
Old Mar 15, 2015, 1:08 pm

Programs: FB Silver, EK Gold, *A Gold, BAEC,KM
Originally Posted by vexorg
I've fallen foul of going from platinum to gold. On that year it was not quite enough to keep platinum, that year was 61k-ish, so wasn't too bother as I thought at least I'll get a 21k head start on the 40k level when I go to gold. Bit no, I got zero.

And here's where the unfair part is for those that cannot see it. If I was at gold level the year before, then I would get a 21k miles carried over. Because I was platinum, then I'm penalised and get zero miles.

You are worse off then the lower level for doing the same miles if you fail to keep your level
I suppose it is something you have to factor in on your flying habits or schedule. I just hit 90k (with 30k rollover) this year so will hit plat for next year, but have to make a choice on which program to maintain from here on in because company reduced us all to Ecy due to oil crunch.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 2:24 pm

Programs: A number, but no status no more

Been there, done that.

Yes, it's all about maximizing your flight pattern. In 2014, I made Platinum on segments. Do I expect it to happen again this year? No, so the benefit of knowing I will be gold next year is acceptable.

Overall, do I feel like AF/KL doesn't care about me? Maybe. I had 5 straight years of Platinum, now 1 more year, but it doesn't mean anything for lifetime qualification. My loyalty to AF/KL: close to 0. It's their business model, fair enough, but in the meantime, I'm re-qualifying for *Gold.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
Old Mar 16, 2015, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold

But remember that, previously, NO miles rolled over. Ever! (Well...Plats that exceeded 100k apparently had that excess rolled over).

And FB clearly communicates that miles only roll over when you at least maintain your existing level. Just like, for instance, Platinum For Life only comes into play when you maintain that level....for 10 years!

I've never had any level miles rolled over, but it doesn't make sense to "reward" people in this manner when their level is actually dropping. By not maintaining your level, you already have the soft landing guarantee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.