Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AF flight from Rio missing [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2009, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Guava
The gender of the FA may not have been released since the Brazilians have stopped doing that for a while already, out of some unknown concerns. The way the Brazilians have been handling this is quite frustrating - it almost come across as very 3rd world way of handling this crisis with very little transparency and disorganized as though they are always hiding something.
The Brazilians have not been releasing gender information for bodies found. So far they have however released gender information for bodies identified.

And BTW, I find the way the Brazilians have handled this to be much more professional than French organizations or authorities. Starting with the BEA guy who complained about their pathologist not being given access to the process. Apparently unaware of the procedure, that French legal authorities OTOH had no difficulty with. One has to wonder how professional the BEA is.

you tell me where the 3d world is in this context.
Old Jun 25, 2009, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge Vintage®) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by Stranger
And BTW, I find the way the Brazilians have handled this to be much more professional than French organizations or authorities. Starting with the BEA guy who complained about their pathologist not being given access to the process. Apparently unaware of the procedure, that French legal authorities OTOH had no difficulty with. One has to wonder how professional the BEA is.

you tell me where the 3d world is in this context.
Actually, the BEA has a very good reputation in France. You are making some very broad generalizations about a case in which very little information has actually been released.

I'll withhold judgement for a while, but I would never compare any French government entity, especially one involved in technical matters such as the BEA, to the "3d world" (whatever that means, by the way).

This is obviously a very complex investigation made even more difficult by the involvement of two different countries: France, a highly centralized, technocratic state and Brazil, with a federal structure that adds more players to the mix. It is inevitable that there will be some crossed wires nad mixed signals throughout the investigation.
Old Jun 25, 2009, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
3rd world way of handling this crisis with very little transparency and disorganized as though they are always hiding something.
??
Old Jun 25, 2009, 3:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge Vintage®) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
Interesting article in the CS Monitor:

When did Air France know about faulty air-speed sensors?
An internal document shows the airline was aware of the problem more than a year before flight 447 disappeared.

By Robert Marquand | Staff writer 06.24.09

The latest wrinkle in the AF447 mystery is not the black box. French authorities say recent sounds picked up in the cavernous depths of the Atlantic are “false signals.”

The hunt for the black box – and the cause of the June 1 crash – continues.

But another Air France internal document has surfaced, which reinforces the theory that the problem was the air-speed sensors known as Pitot tubes.

In a detailed June 23 post (in French and English) on the European pilots association website, Eurocockpit (and in a story in the weekly Le Canard Enchaine in Paris today), Air France document NT 34-029 suggests that the Pitot tubes were known to have been faulty far earlier than August 2008.
Old Jun 25, 2009, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by blairvanhorn
Actually, the BEA has a very good reputation in France. You are making some very broad generalizations about a case in which very little information has actually been released.
I was talking about a very specific issue, their pathologist missing from the process because apparently they did not bother having her registered properly. No generalization, specifics.

And BTW, you read all sorts of horrible comments *coming from France* about the BEA. For better or for worse. Not sure what to make of these.
Old Jun 25, 2009, 8:41 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Exclamation

OK, let's please put a stop to any Brazilian vs French controversy. Thanks for your understanding.

Jouy31
AF/KL co-moderator
Old Jun 25, 2009, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Stranger
Aren't they calling female FAs "hôtesses" anymore?
steward is an "anglicisme", meaning an English word used in French. The proper French term for a FA really is "agent de bord" but I don't think AF uses it that much.

See a discussion here: What's flight attendant in French?

Often, an airline would use the default, masculine form to talk about a FA, ex: un agent de bord, even though the cabin may consist only of female FAs. That's why I am hesitating to take that single citation as a definitive proof or statement that the body of the FA in question is male. It may well be but unless the report has positively identified the body as being male, let's try not to read too much from the use of a masculine gender term that may well be a usage by default.
Old Jun 25, 2009, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

steward is an "anglicisme", meaning an English word used in French. The proper French term for a FA really is "agent de bord" but I don't think AF uses it that much.

See a discussion here: What's flight attendant in French?

Often, an airline would use the default, masculine form to talk about a FA, ex: un agent de bord, even though the cabin may consist only of female FAs. That's why I am hesitating to take that single citation as a definitive proof or statement that the body of the FA in question is male. It may well be but unless the report has positively identified the body as being male, let's try not to read too much from the use of a masculine gender term that may well be a usage by default.
It was a male flight attendant:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090625/...u/brazil_plane

AF uses the terms "hôtesses" for female FAs and "stewards" for male FAs; the official AF term is "personnel navigant commercial" (PNC) which is why you always hear the announcements on board AF flights refer to "PNC" for safety checks, take off and landing advisories, etc.
Old Jun 25, 2009, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My impression is that "agent de bord" is an AC and/or quebec thing. That probably when they became politically correct and replaced "air hostess" in English they translated "flight attendant" by "agent de bord."

OTOH, from the press release it seems AF uses "steward" for male FAs in French, which is a generally accepted anglicism. I cannot imagine however that they would use the female English form for females, which is not.
Old Jun 25, 2009, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

It was a male flight attendant:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090625/...u/brazil_plane

AF uses the terms "hôtesses" for female FAs and "stewards" for male FAs; the official AF term is "personnel navigant commercial" (PNC) which is why you always hear the announcements on board AF flights refer to "PNC" for safety checks, take off and landing advisories, etc.
Sorry, the AP article published through Yahoo you posted is reading more than what AF actually said:

Here is the actual AF press release in French:

http://alphasite.airfrance.com/fr/s01/press-releases/

"Parmi les victimes retrouvées grâce aux recherches en mer, deux membres de l'équipage du vol AF 447 ont à ce jour été identifiés : le commandant de bord ainsi qu'un steward."

The way your linked article translated what AF said, I think they are jumping to the conclusion on the basis that AF used "un steward", nothing more. Yet, the way AF has been handling the release of information, which is fairly much controled and neutral, I wouldn't take it as a confirmation of the gender of the FA.

Here is another English news report of the same quote but with different interpretation:

http://blog.seattlepi.com/aerospace/archives/172241.asp

Medical examiners have identified the body of the captain of Air France Flight 447 and a flight attendant, Air France said Thursday.

You see? Besides, I recall there was only one male FA on board, a Brazilian FA who spoke 5 languages. If the body identified is male, then it can only be him then. That would have been way too easy to identify that person, in the same way that we know there is only one Captain even though AF, again, did not tell us who the Captain was. The name was provided by a 3rd party source, the pilot union. I just don't see AF releasing information on those bodies through the use of "un steward". AF is in a mood of strcitly controlling what they are releasing, hence, they wouldn't even give you the name of the Captain. Therefore, I failed to see why they would want to publicly identify the gender of the FA since it served them no purposes and it would only invite other 3rd parties to dig deeper, for what?

I just want to caution against jumping to conclusions prematurely, that's all I am saying.
Old Jun 25, 2009, 11:44 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Sorry, the AP article published through Yahoo you posted is reading more than what AF actually said:

"Parmi les victimes retrouvées grâce aux recherches en mer, deux membres de l'équipage du vol AF 447 ont à ce jour été identifiés : le commandant de bord ainsi qu'un steward."

The way your linked article translated what AF said, I think they are jumping to the conclusion on the basis that AF used "un steward", nothing more. Yet, the way AF has been handling the release of information, which is fairly much controled and neutral, I wouldn't take it as a confirmation of the gender of the FA.

Here is another English news report of the same quote but with different interpretation:

http://blog.seattlepi.com/aerospace/archives/172241.asp

Medical examiners have identified the body of the captain of Air France Flight 447 and a flight attendant, Air France said Thursday.

You see? Besides, I recall there was only one male FA on board, a Brazilian FA who spoke 5 languages. If the body identified is male, then it can only be him then. That would have been way too easy to identify that person, in the same way that we know there is only one Captain even though AF, again, did not tell us who the Captain was. The name was provided by a 3rd party source, the pilot union. I just don't see AF releasing information on those bodies through the use of "un steward". AF is in a mood of strcitly controlling what they are releasing, hence, they wouldn't even give you the name of the Captain. Therefore, I failed to see why they would want to publicly identify the gender of the FA since it served them no purposes and it would only invite other 3rd parties to dig deeper, for what?

I just want to caution against jumping to conclusions prematurely, that's all I am saying.
I would say Air France and French people in general would never use "un steward" except for a male flight attendant. It is either "un steward" or "une hotesse (de l'air)". When written originally in French (not translated from another language) "un steward" is definitely not gender-neutral. No idea how it applies in this case.
Old Jun 25, 2009, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, perhaps.

But as I posted above, AF generally refers to male FAs as stewards and female FA as hôtesses; the generic term is PNC which is what they probably would have used in their press release had they not wanted to divulge the gender of the flight attendant.
Old Jun 25, 2009, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JOUY31
When written originally in French (not translated from another language) "un steward" is definitely not gender-neutral. No idea how it applies in this case.
Agree.
Old Jun 25, 2009, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Agree.
Ditto.
Old Jun 25, 2009, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You see? Besides, I recall there was only one male FA on board, a Brazilian FA who spoke 5 languages. If the body identified is male, then it can only be him then.
Now confirmed the FA whose body has been identified was Lucas Gagliano:

http://g1.globo.com/Noticias/Mundo/0...8-5602,00.html

However from the article it's not clear whether he was on duty or merely a passenger. He lived in France and had traveled to Brazil to attend his father's funeral.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.