Wiki Posts
Search

AF flight from Rio missing [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2010, 10:22 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by drummingcraig
At least it was quick.
10700 meters divided by 2500 meters per minute equals 4 minutes and change.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 11:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: CX MPO
in a situation like this, with the aircraft falling down without respite, even few seconds would have been like an ethernity to all passengers, imagine 4 minutes of unhindered fall. The sole thought of it still chills my bones.
I do hope finally the black boxes will be recovered and their content will shed light to this tragedy, it is the absolute minimum all these unfortunate passengers are owing.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 2:40 am

Programs: Miles & More, Amex
Originally Posted by CMK10
Would you care to elaborate for those of us whose only knowledge of German comes from the lyrics to "99 Red Balloons"?
Sorry. As stated before, I was not able to read the whole article before posting the link. However, I wanted to give you the information at the earliest possible time. I tried to get the article translated by babelfish or google. however these pages were blocked by my company's "smart filter".

Originally Posted by longwaybackhome
I'm going to attempt to translate some of it, but keep in mind that my German comes from being a soccer fan.

The illustration suggests that the plane was flying through horrid weather with bad turbulence at 10,700 meters (approximately 36,000 feet). Ice got into the pitot tubes under the cockpit, the plane slowed down drastically, and tons of warnings sounded in the cockpit. The autopilot turned off, as well as something else I can't translate, and the flight computer switched into Alternate Law 2. Then the pilot lost control and the plane went into "Deep Stall." The plane likely fell at 2500 meters (approximately 8200 feet) per minute toward the ocean surface. The pilots tried to restart the flight computer and gain height, but the GPWS sounded, "Terrain, Terrain, Pull Up, Pull Up!" at 600 meters (approx. 1970 feet) above sea level.

The still-intact plane hit the water at 36 Gs (!) with the cockpit end raised five degrees. The rudder detached itself and flew forward.

My apologies if this is a bad translation or unwanted.
Well, you got it pretty correct. What is also noteworthy are

Old Feb 24, 2010, 3:04 am
        Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
        Originally Posted by Scrooge McDuck
          Interesting. Is that something common? If AF allows this kind of 'trickery' to avoid restrictions, one might argue they are at least partly responsible...
          Old Feb 24, 2010, 3:17 am

Programs: Flying Blue Ivory, EasyJet Plus, Club Corsair Gold, Thalys TheCard Platinum, Navigo 1-5
          Originally Posted by Xandrios
          Interesting. Is that something common? If AF allows this kind of 'trickery' to avoid restrictions, one might argue they are at least partly responsible...
          I think world champion for that kind of fuel tricks is CO by far
          Old Feb 24, 2010, 5:11 am

Programs: KL (silver), BA
          Originally Posted by Scrooge McDuck
            ...[/LIST]
            not exactly what is stated there.

It reads that they found the captain's body so that they assume him not seated with fasten belts which indicates he was not flying the plane but resting. They state that AF policy is that the second officer takes the captains seat so the less experienced pilot was flying the plane in that situation.

Cheers, Tjobbe
            Old Feb 24, 2010, 5:24 am
            FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
            Originally Posted by tjobbe
            not exactly what is stated there.

It reads that they found the captain's body so that they assume him not seated with fasten belts which indicates he was not flying the plane but resting. They state that AF policy is that the second officer takes the captains seat so the less experienced pilot was flying the plane in that situation.

Cheers, Tjobbe
            I can't understand the article, but just looking at what you've written and the information above that the fall was approximately 4 minutes (*shivers*) ... the no seat belt could be that if he was on break, he had attempted to return to the cockpit once the fall began or issue became apparent.

I hope somehow they locate the black boxes and clear the mystery that surrounds this flight. Such a tragedy for the families to just not know, and for the flying public to not be sure the issues were truly resolved.
            Solevita likes this.
            Old Feb 24, 2010, 5:56 am

yes, that is what the article as well states but what scares me most is at the end where it points back to Airbus and the fly by wire technology that totally depends on the accuracy of the information received by the Pitot's to calculate the state the plane is in.

It states that on 3rd Decembers Airbus filed a patent for an improved Pitot explaining that the loss of them can have severe consequences as well as pointing out that Airbus since years offers an extra equipment that in case the Pitot's stop working an alternate devise (BUSS) is alerting the pilot on how to get back the plane to the right speed and keep it stable.. it ends with the statement that AF has not ordered that.

I wonder which Airline operating Airbus has ordered them....

Cheers, Tjobbe

EDI: forgot to say that the price of that extra safety equipment Airbus offers is 300k€ per plane as mentioned by DER SPIEGEL
            Old Feb 24, 2010, 9:11 pm
            nsx
            Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
            Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
            Originally Posted by tjobbe
            yes, that is what the article as well states but what scares me most is at the end where it points back to Airbus and the fly by wire technology that totally depends on the accuracy of the information received by the Pitot's to calculate the state the plane is in.
            In my opinion as a non-pilot SLF, just from what I have read, the pilots would have needed a miracle to retain control of ANY jet aircraft once they ran straight into the thunderstorm. IMHO the pitot and FBW issues are a distraction. The error was earlier, when they failed to deviate. The reasons for that error will remain a mystery unless the recorders are recovered.
            Old Feb 24, 2010, 9:24 pm

Programs: DL Silver Medallion
            Originally Posted by nsx
            10700 meters divided by 2500 meters per minute equals 4 minutes and change.
            Originally Posted by CXBA
            in a situation like this, with the aircraft falling down without respite, even few seconds would have been like an ethernity to all passengers, imagine 4 minutes of unhindered fall. The sole thought of it still chills my bones.
            I do hope finally the black boxes will be recovered and their content will shed light to this tragedy, it is the absolute minimum all these unfortunate passengers are owing.
            Sorry - I meant that hitting the water with ~36G's of force should mean that things ended quickly (ie no pain hopefully). But yes, the few minutes prior to that must have been nothing short of a hellish nightmare.
            Old Feb 25, 2010, 2:59 pm

here you can find the english version of the DER SPIEGEL text.

Cheers, Tjobbe
            Old Feb 25, 2010, 4:13 pm
            Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
            Thanks. Chilling read..
            Old Feb 25, 2010, 4:54 pm

Programs: NZ , QF , MK
            Originally Posted by drummingcraig
            Sorry - I meant that hitting the water with ~36G's of force should mean that things ended quickly (ie no pain hopefully). But yes, the few minutes prior to that must have been nothing short of a hellish nightmare.
            Firstly , of course the artice is pure speculation , nevertheless , one section of it may provide some comfort :

...According to this scenario, the pilots would have been forced to watch helplessly as their plane lost its lift. That theory is supported by the fact that the airplane remained intact to the very end. Given all the turbulence, it is therefore possible that the passengers remained oblivious to what was happening. After all, the oxygen masks that have been recovered had not dropped down from the ceiling because of a loss of pressure. What's more, the stewardesses weren't sitting on their emergency seats, and the lifejackets remained untouched. "There is no evidence whatsoever that the passengers in the cabin had been prepared for an emergency landing," says BEA boss Jean-Paul Troadec....

If true it would mean that due to the buffeting effects of the turbulence no-one outside of the flight deck crew would have known the aircraft was in deep trouble - the aircraft would have been falling in a stable manner and the combination of the turbulence and the fact that it was night time would have meant that the pax had insufficient sensory information to tell them the the plane was rapidly descending ... I really hope that this was the case .
            Old Feb 25, 2010, 5:36 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat by proxy, Sephora VIB, I have a low AA FF#...
            Since I just read the English version of the article, am I allowed to say HOLY F*#$ING $H!T?
            Old Feb 25, 2010, 5:36 pm
            Suspended

What is the reason aircraft do not use GPS to determine speed but pitot tubes?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.