Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Checking bags without everyone in party present

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2024, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Checking bags without everyone in party present

Hello, this is my first Flyertalk post so I apologize if I am posting in the incorrect place.

I took advantage of a great redemption to fly from IAD to CDG this summer in Business for my wife, daughter, and myself. Unfortunately we are based in DEN so need to take a positioning flight on United. I've looked into checking our bags through to CDG with United and it doesn't seem to be possible, however I'm hoping that if we can check in online that I could have my wife and daughter avoid leaving airside at IAD and just having myself go through to get the bags and recheck them. I'm a little concerned that checking the bags will trigger a need to check documents for everyone however.

We'd just be flying with 2 checked bags which is within the allowance for one person, has anyone had experience with this?

Thank you
Old Feb 1, 2024, 9:47 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Definitely no on UA through-checking bags.

In principle I don't see why all pax on a PNR would have to be checked in at once, especially if it's only a baggage drop-off. That said, I don't know that you'll be able to check in online if you are worried about a document check?
Old Feb 1, 2024, 9:56 am

Programs: FB platinum
If you have 2 checked bags allowed per person, and you only check 2 in total under your own name, that will not be a problem. But if you want to check a bag under someone else's name, then they must be present and show their ID.

Also it might be worth remembering that the baggage compensation is per person, not per bag, so in case things go wrong and everything is under one name, it's more limited.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2024, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
Definitely no on UA through-checking bags.

In principle I don't see why all pax on a PNR would have to be checked in at once, especially if it's only a baggage drop-off. That said, I don't know that you'll be able to check in online if you are worried about a document check?
I'm not sure if we will need doc checks, if we do then we'd all just have to go through but didn't want to go through that if we can get our boarding pass online. I might also try to check us in at the Air France desk in Denver if doc check is required.
Old Feb 1, 2024, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lynxy
If you have 2 checked bags allowed per person, and you only check 2 in total under your own name, that will not be a problem. But if you want to check a bag under someone else's name, then they must be present and show their ID.

Also it might be worth remembering that the baggage compensation is per person, not per bag, so in case things go wrong and everything is under one name, it's more limited.
That's a good point on the compensation, I might be over complicating things. We land 2 hours and 50 minutes before the Air France flight so we should have plenty of time to get out and back in but security with a 2 year old is something I wanted to do only once in a day if possible
Old Feb 2, 2024, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by MrKieKie
I'm not sure if we will need doc checks, if we do then we'd all just have to go through but didn't want to go through that if we can get our boarding pass online. I might also try to check us in at the Air France desk in Denver if doc check is required.
All passports will have to be checked at one point. But it can be done at the gate if your have your BP. As said by another poster, if all bags can be checked under your name, it's OK. If not, concerned pax will need to be present at check-in desk.
Do not lose time with AF at DEN, they won't do anything for a flight departing IAD
olivedel likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.