Community
Wiki Posts
Search

On Board Service Changes - Corona

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2021, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by maalloc
Exactly; I wrote « domestic » because I hope their hubris didn’t take them to the point where they expect to have to power to prevent all intl flights to/from France from serving any kind of food or water.

That said, when it comes to domestic travel, their goal of preventing all kind of drinking and eating seem quite clear.
Be certain that AF unions will have a very strict interpretation .
Old Dec 27, 2021, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Originally Posted by feederflight
Here is the link to the news in English

https://www.euronews.com/2021/12/27/...s-new-measures

“We are prohibiting standing concerts, and the consumption of food and drinks will be prohibited in all cinemas, theatres, sports facilities and public transportation, including long distance trips,” the French PM explained.

It is nothing but ridiculous and imho a very clear sign that the government is rather helpless and does not have any clue on how to move forward. To make this really work, you would have to forbid people breathing in public and also shut down all the gastronomy where people are still able to sit for an extended period of time without masks.
Actually, the Swiss are considering the same thing, on the SBB trains. I think it's nonsensical because if you are on a long trip you need to drink something at some point. I hope they make an exception for water.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 4:18 pm

Maybe they should first enforce what is already in place and look after the basics, before coming up with nonsensical panic actionism: 2E in CDG was again a perfect mess over Christmas with crowds everywhere and no one gave a sh*t about social distancing whatsoever. At the PIF checkpoints, people were almost siting on eachothers shoulders.
There would be enough to do for M. Le Premier MInistre
af fp, SkyteamEP, Solevita and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
It is nothing but ridiculous and imho a very clear sign that the government is rather helpless and does not have any clue on how to move forward. To make this really work, you would have to forbid people breathing in public and also shut down all the gastronomy where people are still able to sit for an extended period of time without masks.
I read it as the government doesn't care about travelers. I congratulate the government on bringing the kids back to school Monday, despite a strong campaign from some despicable people who wanted the schools to stay closed next week. They at least stood up to that and the demand from the same quarters for a curfew.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by Bullspread
Be certain that AF unions will have a very strict interpretation .
Exactly my thoughts. That's why I have started with contingency plans for my upcoming couple of longhauls in January that are still on AF as of now. No one knows what some union & politican weirdos will come up with next.
af fp likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 1:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I don't think this would be under French jurisdiction anyway, if ever, maybe only for aircrafts registered in France.
To be honest, that argument keeps coming around every time any onboard covid measure is discussed anywhere in the world. It's basically exactly the same situation as the US mandating mask wearing onboard all international flights to/from the US for everyone including children, or for that matter their rule about not using toilets situated in another cabin, which they have formulated for years. Various lawyers seem to be answering the various threads where people ask "can they really do that?" and "can they impose it to all or is it only based on airline/where the plane is located at time t/the destination etc?" and their answer always seems to be "it's complicated".
NickB likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 2:47 am

Exactly my thoughts. That's why I have started with contingency plans for my upcoming couple of longhauls in January that are still on AF as of now. No one knows what some union & politican weirdos will come up with next.
Without waiting Monday 3rd Jan, where these new measures are entering into force, AF has already taken the decision this morning to suspend on board service on all domestic flights.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 4:53 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Originally Posted by Satie
I got the very same excuse on Christmas Eve, that and we only have paper cups on a CDG VLC. It felt like a ridiculous excuse. I’d love to be proven wrong
I actually "complained" about that after a recent flight in Domestic J (coming in from LH J) online, to the claim section of the website - not being petty or anything, just stating the facts and that I would have expected a better service in J from Air France. The CDG-MRS had drinks in paper cups & a single cookie (I think butter galette IIRC). To my surprise, I actually got a call from someone in the customer experience team. A nice person who didn't understand why I would be disappointed in a paper cup as I already had the privilege to fly in Business with a dedicated cabin and empty middle seat.

Nice gesture to call nonetheless, but I had the impression during the call that *I* had the privilege to fly in Business, not that *they* had the privilege to serve me (which would be the logical thing to say in any commercial relationship where *I* am the customer forking a significant amount of money ) Anyway, I mentioned that proper glassware and (maybe not a full) breakfast, such as a hot croissant or something of the sort could be a nice gesture, instead of galette au beurre (which I think is the same Y PAX get).

She did follow up with an email saying the feedback was shared with the team. But I still don't understand why they would call me explaining *me* that my feedback is wrong. Because that's what it is, feedback, not an absolute truth...
Old Dec 28, 2021, 5:39 am

What annoys me most is the complete lack of consistency in what they are doing service wise and what they are giving as a reason. Let us stick to the glassware vs. paper cups:

Domestic Business: Paper Cups (temporarily suspended due to nothing to be served in those cups ;-) )
European Business: Glassware and occasionally paper cups
Long Haul Business/First: 100% Glassware

Until today, I never got a reasonable explanation for the paper/plastic cup things in certain markets in Business class. I also have the feeling that the paper/plastic thing is anything but sustainable and kind of contradicting other greenwashing marketing activities.
Nothing is more sustainable than glassware that is lasting long and can sustain many cycles of washing.

That is at least one thing I commend KL's catering for: they are using glassware/crockery in Business, no matter the duration of the flight. That they are treating us at the same time with wooden cutlery and traumatizing us with the Wanders Boxes is another topic, though

Why don't they simplify the things @ AF by using glassware by default in premium classes, no matter the market they are operating. That would save a hell lot of waste which they are producing deliberately.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 5:48 am

Without waiting Monday 3rd Jan, where these new measures are entering into force, AF has already taken the decision this morning to suspend on board service on all domestic flights.
6 additional days of cost savings due to no domestic catering whatsoever :-) I am sure some spreadsheet genius took the opportunity the moment the news were out.....

What I am curious about:

There is no more inflight catering whatsoever on domestic flights, including Business Class
-> will this move of banning consumption of food/beverages on domestic public transportation also affect the Lounges at the airports, predominantly at CDG? Or is it only while "moving"?
-> if they will remove catering from the Lounges, why would then restaurants be allowed to stay open and serve customers (who are unmasked while sitting and eating)? Or will Lounges fall into the same category as restaurants at the end (which would be reasonable)?
-> or will airports be kind of exempted altogether since it would be impossible to explain why catering in a Lounge would be banned while it might be available at McDonalds or Paul or wherever?

Questions over questions
Old Dec 28, 2021, 6:17 am

Programs: FlyingBlue
-> if they will remove catering from the Lounges, why would then restaurants be allowed to stay open and serve customers (who are unmasked while sitting and eating)? Or will Lounges fall into the same category as restaurants at the end (which would be reasonable)?
Good questions.

Being based near LYS, where the lounge has been closed for 18+ months "for sanitary reasons" just a few months after its complete revamping, I fear the worst for the lounge offer. Even the new CDG2F could be neutered at the blink of an eye.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 7:06 am

Programs: FB Gold
The premium eco offering was tout à fait correct recently on CDG - IAD.

The pre-arrival snack was a saumon sandwich, yogurt, and beverage, not bad. Better than the average disgusting preheated pizza rubbish.

Last edited by mlin32; Dec 28, 2021 at 7:22 am
Old Dec 28, 2021, 8:07 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum For Life; ALL Platinum
It seems that the decision to stop service in domestic has been taken even before last night Castex speech .
AF decided to :
From 28 december 21
- no more service domestic
From 30 December 21
- In Y short haul only drink service
- In J short haul drinks + snack no more Tray
From 4 january 22 :
Long haul J : no more welcome drink ;
in Y/W no more choice of warm dish

However following last night annoucement further reduction in service is possible

https://www.unsa-pnc.com/variant-omi...s-satisfaction

Unions are very happy of the decisions taken of course.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 8:30 am

Programs: FB Ultimate, Accor Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond,Avis President, Hertz President Club
De mieux en mieux AF.....
Old Dec 28, 2021, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by pascalgr
It seems that the decision to stop service in domestic has been taken even before last night Castex speech .
AF decided to :
From 28 december 21
- no more service domestic
From 30 December 21
- In Y short haul only drink service
- In J short haul drinks + snack no more Tray
From 4 january 22 :
Long haul J : no more welcome drink ;
in Y/W no more choice of warm dish

However following last night annoucement further reduction in service is possible

https://www.unsa-pnc.com/variant-omi...s-satisfaction

Unions are very happy of the decisions taken of course.
These measures had been accepted by AF mgmt with the pressure of unions and before the announcement of the French govt.

I assume that the entire onboard service will be reduced to Zero in the coming days .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.