Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue > Air France Frequence Plus
Reload this Page >

Problem purchasing a la carte meal on AF-operated, DL-ticketed flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2019, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Hi all -- I'll preface this by saying that I realize that this is a very minor problem in the big scope of things. I am traveling in economy on Delta 1014 from JFK to CDG in October, which is the 21:55 JFK departure operated by AF (as AF 11). I'd like to purchase an a la carte dinner option, but when I log on to the AF website with the AF PNR, I see the flight but don't see any option to purchase. (The website also claims only breakfast is served on the flight, which is not true.) I've tried speaking to an agent at the US 800-237-2747 phone number, who after looking into it told me it's not possible.

Is there anything else I can do/try or anyone else I can contact? FWIW, I can speak decent enough French to discuss this with an agent, though in writing would be slightly easier than on the phone for me.

Backstory: this JFK-CDG round-trip ticket was booked on the Delta website, originally for two Delta-operated flights. Some time after booking, I changed the outbound (JFK-CDG) flight to the 21:55 departure because the original outbound timing no longer worked for me, via the Delta website. Having taken this exact flight (AF 11) two months ago, I know for a fact that dinner is served right after takeoff, and I purchased an a la carte dinner option that I really enjoyed and would like to repeat this October. In the end, if there's no way to do this, c'est la vie and I'll just look forward to my meals in Paris. But I figured I might as well see if any of you had any ideas!
Old Jul 31, 2019, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by andrewesque
Is there anything else I can do/try or anyone else I can contact?
If you're not already within the 90-day window (and even if you are), why not wait a few weeks until closer to departure and try again, and if all else fails, book and pay for your a la carte meal during OLCI (make sure you OLCI between 30 and 24 hours ahead)
Attached Images  
Old Jul 31, 2019, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick reply! I am indeed within the 90-day period.

Originally Posted by irishguy28
and if all else fails, book and pay for your a la carte meal during OLCI (make sure you OLCI between 30 and 24 hours ahead)
This is probably a stupid question, but since this was booked and managed/changed via the Delta website, I assume that if I want to OLCI I have to do that via the Delta website as well? I suspect the AF a la carte meal options won't show up there. Is it possible to OLCI via the AF website with the AF PNR?
Old Jul 31, 2019, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by andrewesque
This is probably a stupid question, but since this was booked and managed/changed via the Delta website, I assume that if I want to OLCI I have to do that via the Delta website as well? I suspect the AF a la carte meal options won't show up there. Is it possible to OLCI via the AF website with the AF PNR?
You always check in with the operating carrier.

In your case, however, that may very well involve using the Delta website to check in for your JFK-CDG flight. I've not had an AFKL flight departing from the US in quite a while, but it used to be the case that, as Delta handles AFKL in the North American market, check-in gets steered via the Delta website.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

In your case, however, that may very well involve using the Delta website to check in for your JFK-CDG flight. I've not had an AFKL flight departing from the US in quite a while, but it used to be the case that, as Delta handles AFKL in the North American market, check-in gets steered via the Delta website.
That's interesting about it used to work -- I think it must have changed, as in both 2017 and 2019 I checked in for JFK>CDG flights on AF metal purchased/ticketed on the AF (US) website and check-in was wholly handled on the AF website, no redirects to Delta.

For codeshares I know you always check in with the operating carrier at the airport, but is that also the case online? Had I not called to get my AF PNR, I would never have known what it was in the first place (since at the time of booking and at the time of changing my flight I handled that with just the original Delta PNR) and without that AF PNR it would seem I wouldn't be able to locate my flight on the AF website nor be able to check in.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond

not exactly. In the US, DL handles ground operations of AF flights, including check-in, only in DL hubs : ATL, DTW, MSP.
JFK is a special case as it is a DL hub but AF and DL operate from 2 different terminals and so their operations are completely separated. AF flights from JFK are handled by AF, including check-in. It is even reaching a completely ridiculous situation in JFK: the DL-emitted BP on AF flights are not accepted at TSA checkpoint of JFK T1. You need to stop at AF counters to have a new AF BP
So, OP will check-in with AF.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 12:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Last week I checked in for a DL operated flight exCDG through the DL website, so I would *guess* that AF departures from the USA don't do OLCI through the DL website.

Can you call DL and ask them to switch your flight from the DL flight number to the AF flight number to solve this? In fact, there's an argument that if you didn't request the DL flight number and weren't informed of this, DL shouldn't have ticketed it this way. In particular, USA DOT rules require that the operating carrier be identified very clearly when plane tickets are sold.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Last week I checked in for a DL operated flight exCDG through the DL website, so I would *guess* that AF departures from the USA don't do OLCI through the DL website.
That’s a first ! I am always redirected to AF site/app in that situation.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 12:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Goldorak

That’s a first ! I am always redirected to AF site/app in that situation.
I was a bit surprised too (and was unable to check in at T-24, so I feared SSSS but later it worked and I checked in through delta.dumb and printed the baording pass which looked a bit different from the ones I normally get from DL but clearly wasn't an AF boarding pass either. However, I did notice that the flight went under airport control according to the usual AF schedule, at about T-48, when seat maps were frozen despite EF showing lots of available and unblocked seats in my cabin.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 4:31 pm

Programs: AA - PLT(2MM); DL - PM(2MM); Hilton - Gold; Marriott Bonvoy- Titanium; Hyatt - Platinum
If you're not already within the 90-day window (and even if you are), why not wait a few weeks until closer to departure and try again, and if all else fails, book and pay for your a la carte meal during OLCI (make sure you OLCI between 30 and 24 hours ahead)
Although it's been a couple of years, I thought that the ala carte meals were only availabe ex-CDG. Not so?
Old Aug 2, 2019, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by arkangel
Although it's been a couple of years, I thought that the ala carte meals were only availabe ex-CDG. Not so?
No longer the case, at least for JFK -- I've taken this same exact flight (AF 11) out of JFK and ordered an a la carte meal on the plane. (The meals themselves are not the same ex-JFK and ex-CDG, but the option is still offered in both directions.)
Old Aug 3, 2019, 4:26 am

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by arkangel
Actually available from a handful of major outstations, I did it from ex-IAD last autumn. The choices may be limited depending where you are departing from but there's usually at least 2-3 choices à la carte.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 12:46 pm

Programs: AA - PLT(2MM); DL - PM(2MM); Hilton - Gold; Marriott Bonvoy- Titanium; Hyatt - Platinum
Originally Posted by mlin32
Actually available from a handful of major outstations, I did it from ex-IAD last autumn. The choices may be limited depending where you are departing from but there's usually at least 2-3 choices à la carte.
Good to know! Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.