Wiki Posts
Search

Merging award and revenue bookings on AF and Delta

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2019, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Merging award and revenue bookings on AF and Delta

Hi everyone,

I searched the forum for an answer to this question and I apologize if it's already been asked, but I couldn't find an answer to this very case.

I am flying JFK to CDG next week, on AF007 (arriving at CDG at 8am, terminal 2E I believe). This is a revenue economy ticket that I booked on delta.com, issued on 006 stock.

It turns out I need to go to Nantes after all, and usually I would take a TGV but prices are obscenely high on my day of travel. So I'm looking to book an award ticket CDG to NTE, which are still "reasonably" priced at 6000 FB miles.

Flights to NTE depart from terminal 2F. There is one flight at 9:30am, and one at 12:20pm - neither of those being ideal as one is cutting it very close and the other would make me wait several hours. FYI, had I booked JFK to NTE, I know that taking the 9:30am flight is a legal connection as the ticket is sold by AF (1h30 connection).

So here are my questions:
1) The ideal situation would be for me to book the 9:30am flight with miles, and call up Air France so they can merge my bookings together and hopefully make it one itinerary. Is that possible, knowing that JFK to CDG is a revenue ticket issued by Delta (006 stock) but CDG to NTE would be an award issued by AF?

2) If the answer to 1) is yes, can you confirm that if AF007 is delayed and make me miss my connection, I would be reaccommodated on the next flight to NTE?

3) If the answer to 1) OR 2) is no, does anyone agree that I should probably err on the safe side and book the 12:20pm?

FWIW, I'm FB Gold so I have access to SkyPriority.
Thanks in advance and I hope everyone is having a stellar weekend .
Old Jan 12, 2019, 11:48 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Itineraries can NEVER be merged.

If incoming flight is delayed, you will be no-show on CDG/NTE.

Did you check TGV from CDG and Montparnasse?
Old Jan 12, 2019, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by carnarvon
Itineraries can NEVER be merged.

If incoming flight is delayed, you will be no-show on CDG/NTE.

Did you check TGV from CDG and Montparnasse?
Damn, that is news to me, apologies. I never realized that merging bookings wasn't an option, so that answers the problem and I will book the 12:20pm.

And yes, I checked from both CDG and Montparnasse. Montparnasse is a bit cheaper but the bus ticket will null the price difference with CDG, and I don't feel like trekking in the RER and metro to get there after a red eye in coach.
Thanks @carnarvon !
Old Jan 12, 2019, 4:03 pm

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Did you check Ouigo as well? This is the low cost version of TGV.

Schedule might not be convenient though.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 4:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Klems
Damn, that is news to me, apologies. I never realized that merging bookings wasn't an option, so that answers the problem and I will book the 12:20pm.

And yes, I checked from both CDG and Montparnasse. Montparnasse is a bit cheaper but the bus ticket will null the price difference with CDG, and I don't feel like trekking in the RER and metro to get there after a red eye in coach.
Thanks @carnarvon !
The only carrier which would help out is AA (not useful here). Even AA will not "merge" separate tickets. But, it does protect across multiple tickets AA-AA and AA-OW.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 5:09 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue Plat
Hi everyone,

I searched the forum for an answer to this question and I apologize if it's already been asked, but I couldn't find an answer to this very case.

I am flying JFK to CDG next week, on AF007 (arriving at CDG at 8am, terminal 2E I believe). This is a revenue economy ticket that I booked on delta.com, issued on 006 stock.

It turns out I need to go to Nantes after all, and usually I would take a TGV but prices are obscenely high on my day of travel. So I'm looking to book an award ticket CDG to NTE, which are still "reasonably" priced at 6000 FB miles.

Flights to NTE depart from terminal 2F. There is one flight at 9:30am, and one at 12:20pm - neither of those being ideal as one is cutting it very close and the other would make me wait several hours. FYI, had I booked JFK to NTE, I know that taking the 9:30am flight is a legal connection as the ticket is sold by AF (1h30 connection).

So here are my questions:
1) The ideal situation would be for me to book the 9:30am flight with miles, and call up Air France so they can merge my bookings together and hopefully make it one itinerary. Is that possible, knowing that JFK to CDG is a revenue ticket issued by Delta (006 stock) but CDG to NTE would be an award issued by AF?

2) If the answer to 1) is yes, can you confirm that if AF007 is delayed and make me miss my connection, I would be reaccommodated on the next flight to NTE?

3) If the answer to 1) OR 2) is no, does anyone agree that I should probably err on the safe side and book the 12:20pm?

FWIW, I'm FB Gold so I have access to SkyPriority.
Thanks in advance and I hope everyone is having a stellar weekend .
Aren't award tickets rebookable against a 45 Euro fee? if so, perhaps you could book a ticket for both flights, and then decide which one you will take (or cancel); or book on the 12:20, and then inquire about switching to the earlier flight?
Old Jan 12, 2019, 8:31 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
While bookings cannot be merged and AF doesn’t have any responsibility, I have been able to get a note on both PNRs and once this made the difference. My SDQ-JFK flight on DL was severely delayed and upon arriving at JFK I was already rebooked to the next AF flight. Agent said they knew my previous flight was delayed, although this could have been because their system showed that I had a bag checked in all the way to CDC.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 9:56 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the input everyone.

Given your response and advice, I think that I'll just book the 12:20pm flight. @carnarvon, I checked any option offered by SNCF whether it's the regular TGV, Ouigo and they even have a low cost Corail Intercites from Austerlitz... but no thanks . I also much much prefer to transfer at CDG, whether it's to a plane or train, rather than trekking to Paris (I usually value convenience over price if the price difference isn't ridiculous).

To @SDQBound 's point, I'll call to have them adding a note on both bookings, and I'll ask at JFK that they check my luggage all the way through to NTE. I'll have a couple of hours to kill at CDG, but that's ok, I'll probably be happy to go take a shower and refresh in the lounge and have some breakfast anyway, after the meager economy breakfast I will get on the plane.

And to @ok986 's point, if I end up making it really early I'll see if they can switch me over to the 9:30 am flight, hoping that my checked luggage will follow.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 12:48 am

Originally Posted by SDQBound
While bookings cannot be merged and AF doesn’t have any responsibility, I have been able to get a note on both PNRs and once this made the difference. My SDQ-JFK flight on DL was severely delayed and upon arriving at JFK I was already rebooked to the next AF flight. Agent said they knew my previous flight was delayed, although this could have been because their system showed that I had a bag checked in all the way to CDC.
You are correct, but cross referencing is a far cry from "merging" and have one PNR.

Depending on several factors (airlines involved, fare, status, load, mood of the employee...), the airline may, I repeat, may, accommodate you on the next flight.

That is if they bother reading the notes, or even notice them in the first place.

There is however no guarantee that they do.
Often1 and SDQBound like this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 4:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
And to @ok986 's point, if I end up making it really early I'll see if they can switch me over to the 9:30 am flight, hoping that my checked luggage will follow.
They won’t do that, especially with checked bags.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 6:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by SDQBound
That is simply a matter of convenience. DL also has the capacity to track this without the PNR notes and as a policy matter will rebook across tickets when it is the cause of a delay.

That is not OP's situation. PNR notes can certainly be added to the PNR containing the AF ticket. But, it will not matter to AF because it won't protect here.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 7:52 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Often1
That is simply a matter of convenience. DL also has the capacity to track this without the PNR notes and as a policy matter will rebook across tickets when it is the cause of a delay.

That is not OP's situation. PNR notes can certainly be added to the PNR containing the AF ticket. But, it will not matter to AF because it won't protect here.
Completely agree. While they do not have the obligation or the policy to protect passengers, they would do it as a nice gesture.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Now that I know that bookings can't be merged, I fully realize and accept that there isn't any failproof solution to my problem, and that is fine. My plans changed last minute so I have to live with it, now I'm just trying to mitigate the risks. And as others said, I'll count on AF agents being gracious if something goes completely awry (most of the time they have been very helpful with me in the past, a smile and being nice usually goes a long way).

I still think that the 12:20pm flight is the good option for me at this point; it means that even if AF007 is 3 hours late, I can still make it as long as my bags are checked through, which shouldn't be a problem. And chances are that if it's 3 hours late or more, I'll know it already at JFK so I can cancel the award flight and find another solution (unless things go wrong in the air with a mechanical issue, which is not out of question with the A380 ).
Old Jan 13, 2019, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And chances are that if it's 3 hours late or more, I'll know it already at JFK so I can cancel the award flight and find another solution (unless things go wrong in the air with a mechanical issue, which is not out of question with the A380 ).
Even if something went wrong in the air that would result in a 3+ hour delay, I do not think that you would stay up in the air and would instead make an unscheduled landing somewhere, at which point you would probably be able to call to retime or cancel the award.

You could, though end up in a dilemma situation of a 2+hours delay on departure, where you could not be sure whether you would land in time to make the connection or not. But, frankly, we are talking about relatively low probability events and where the downside (losing a cheap award flight) is also pretty low: it is not as if you stand to lose a non-flex long-haul premium class flight ticket so I would not sweat it if I were you.
Klems, Goldorak and SDQBound like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.